HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Drouin gone will happen.....to Seattle, another team or retirement.
Can we protect PD and Tuna? They are ufa's?
You can protect UFA.

Unprotected FA can negotiate for 48h with Seattle. If they reach an agreement, they can sign and become Seattle's pick.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
we'll see as i don't think there will be a better goalie then Allen.
Chris Driedger will be a better option. Allen is at best a 1B only under contract for one more year. I'm sure that Seattle can find another goalie that works as well as Allen as a backup.

Let's face it -- the only reason Allen is a high probability to be selected is because all the other options will be so bad. If the Habs can somehow convince Price to waive his NMC and Montreal can protect Allen, then Seattle will not have anyone attractive to pick from.

Reactions: zeeto

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Chris Driedger will be a better option. Allen is at best a 1B only under contract for one more year. I'm sure that Seattle can find another goalie that works as well as Allen as a backup.

Let's face it -- the only reason Allen is a high probability to be selected is because all the other options will be so bad. If the Habs can somehow convince Price to waive his NMC and Montreal can protect Allen, then Seattle will not have anyone attractive to pick from.

They could go with Driedger, but he's a UFA so they'd still need an insurance policy by drafting a 3rd goalie if Driedger doesn't sign. Either way, I can't see how Seattle doesn't take Allen and Nedeljkovic.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
They could go with Driedger, but he's a UFA so they'd still need an insurance policy by drafting a 3rd goalie if Driedger doesn't sign. Either way, I can't see how Seattle doesn't take Allen and Nedeljkovic.
Ned would be a great choice. I loved watching him when he played major juniors here. He was the best Plymouth Whalers goalie I ever saw in the approximately 20 years the team played here.

As I said, if he's unprotected, Allen is really Seattle's only choice from the Habs. Every other option is just plain bad. If Montreal can somehow convince Price to waive his NMC, then Seattle has some pretty bad players / contracts to consider, as long as the Habs are not dumb enough to expose Evans.

Reactions: abo9

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
what better goalie do you see them going after?

Allen is not a starting goaltender, he is a solid backup.

There really isn't a G available that is a given to be a legitimate #1 moving forward but there are other vets like Talbot, Khudobin, Holtby and Raanta and wildcards like Nedjkovic, Dreidger, Vanecek, Ullmark, Kivlenieks etc. The real kicker is that Raanta, Driedger and Ullmark are all available as UFA's that Seattle will have early negotiating rights to. They would be better off signing Raanta and one of Driedger/Ullmark and using their expansion picks on more valuable assets than unpredictable veteran goalies on the downside of their careers.

Not hating on Allen but his poor post season play was a major roadblock that kept a strong Blues club from realizing any real playoff success. Of course he has the potential to turn that around but I just believe that it would be poor asset management of Francis' behalf to select him over Chiarot/ Edmundson and to a lesser degree Evans.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

There really isn't a G available that is a given to be a legitimate #1 moving forward but there are other vets like Talbot, Khudobin, Holtby and Raanta and wildcards like Nedjkovic, Dreidger, Vanecek, Ullmark, Kivlenieks etc. The real kicker is that Raanta, Driedger and Ullmark are all available as UFA's that Seattle will have early negotiating rights to. They would be better off signing Raanta and one of Driedger/Ullmark and using their expansion picks on more valuable assets than unpredictable veteran goalies on the downside of their careers.

Not hating on Allen but his poor post season play was a major roadblock that kept a strong Blues club from realizing any real playoff success. Of course he has the potential to turn that around but I just believe that it would be poor asset management of Francis' behalf to select him over Chiarot/ Edmundson and to a lesser degree Evans.

Have not look at the list of all teams, but I could see them picking Allen if there are more solid players in other teams to be picked.

That said, Edmunson would be a decent pick as a 5th/6th D

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

Nedeljkovic will be protected. Both Mrazek and Reimer are UFAs for Carolina

Reactions: Schooner Guy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I believe Vegas picked only 1 UFA so while Driedger could be their guy, you would think other NHL teams would be very interested in him as well so he should have a few options I would think. Allen even as a backup still seems like the way they will go imo. Now if Price wants to waive then that's another story but until we hear he would do so it's a moot point.

Chiarot has 1 year left before UFA and I don't see any way Edmundson isn't protected. I don't see why they won't be able to protect Evans but Allen imo has a lot more value and I don't see them going on the hope that Evans can be more then a 4th liner. I've been a big fan of Evans on this board all through his NCAA and AHL time but the guy has 2 goals in 41 games, just don't think he's going to be picked over Allen if he were left unprotected.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I too would pick Allen before Evans but Seattle could easily be motivated to pick Evans. Look at Tomas Nosek for exemple who is playing a similar role to Evans in Vegas right now. He had only 17 NHL games when he was picked in the expansion draft from Detroit. He had a great AHL season and playoffs and Vegas decided to take a shot at him. He was also the same age as Evans is now when he was picked. I see a lot of similarities.

It doesn't mean anything but I just thought I would point it out. Young cheap guys with upside like William Carrier and Tomas Nosek (Jake Evans) can be valuable for an expansion franchise

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We will regret it if we lose Evans. I see him replacing Danault actually, he is that good.
Fortunately, I do not see any way that Evans is not protected. There are really only five forwards that will be under contract that need protecting -- Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson, Kotkaniemi and Evans. There is no reason to protect Drouin, as Seattle will not pick him with his current issues -- and if they did, it would be to both Montreal's and Drouin's benefit. Byron has two years left on an overpriced contract. There are still two protection slots available should the Habs re-sign one or two of the UFAs -- Danault, Tatar, or Armia -- or even qualify/re-sign RFA Lehkonen.

Not protecting Evans based on the above should be a fire-able offense.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Anybody have any clarification on whether Fleury needs protecting? CapFriendly says no but I've seen quite a few people imply that we would.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Anybody have any clarification on whether Fleury needs protecting? CapFriendly says no but I've seen quite a few people imply that we would.

He does if the Habs don’t want Seattle to take him (which I doubt they do anyways) because he is a third year pro.

He doesn’t meet the exposure rule though which is

Minimum Exposure Requirements
Teams must expose a minimum number of 1 defenceman that meet the following criteria for selection in the upcoming Expansion:

-under contract in 2021-22, AND
-played in 27 or more NHL games last season, OR
-played in 54 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

Capfriendly does not have him on the Habs exempt list of players that do not have to be protected though. Also he’s not in green through because he doesn’t meet the exposure rule.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Fortunately, I do not see any way that Evans is not protected. There are really only five forwards that will be under contract that need protecting -- Gallagher, Toffoli, Anderson, Kotkaniemi and Evans. There is no reason to protect Drouin, as Seattle will not pick him with his current issues -- and if they did, it would be to both Montreal's and Drouin's benefit. Byron has two years left on an overpriced contract. There are still two protection slots available should the Habs re-sign one or two of the UFAs -- Danault, Tatar, or Armia -- or even qualify/re-sign RFA Lehkonen.

Not protecting Evans based on the above should be a fire-able offense.
Tatar imo doesnt deserve a protection. Always been an okay producer on a mediocre team and doesnt move the needle during playoff. He won’t age well.. I would give a contract to Danault around 4,5/years not more. I think his role is a little underrated. In a contender team. These players are useful and you need at least one center to job that kind of role on a 3rd line. Armia/lehkonen... bottom 6 winger

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

depending on Chiarot / Edmunson playoffs, maybe one of them could be preferred. Take VAN as example, not sure anything more interesting than Holtby will be unprotected, lot of Allen like goalies will be on the market.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tatar imo doesnt deserve a protection. Always been an okay producer on a mediocre team and doesnt move the needle during playoff. He won’t age well.. I would give a contract to Danault around 4,5/years not more. I think his role is a little underrated. In a contender team. These players are useful and you need at least one center to job that kind of role on a 3rd line. Armia/lehkonen... bottom 6 winger

I'm ok with Tatar on a 3 year deal at his current salary. Drouin and Býron out. Lehkonen is a 4th liner imo. Armia is ok on the top 9 only if he's your worst top 9 forward. Ideally he's a 4th liner also.

So if we bring back Armia in the top 9, we need to bring back Tatar, or replace Tatar with someone offensively better than Tatar.

Toffoli Suzuki Armia
Caufield KK Gallagher
Tatar Danault Anderson

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Believe Seattle wants a crappy back up like Allen all you want. Evans is the guy they are taking.

Reactions: Dutronc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad