* Ylonen, Mysak, Lucchini, Teasdale, Hillis, Khisamudtnikov

Exposed (* = available with some NHL experience):

Allen

Weber
Kulak
*Oloffson, Ouellet, Fleury

Drouin
Byron

UFAs not protected at draft day (could sign some AFTER draft day)

Merrill, Gustaffson
Tatar, Armia, Perry, Staal, Frolik

Lindgren, Demchenko
Hudon, Weal, Belzile, Vejdemo, Baddock, Dauphin

AHLers not protected

McNiven
Blandisi, Verbeek, Pezzetta

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Weber's contract is also not as bad as it seems. After 2 years, if Weber doesnt retire, then the habs and Weber could agree to mutually terminate his contract and give him a new one. A contract in which he is paid more than 1 M per year, but does not have the 7.8 M cap hit.

Hard to understate how ridiculous this suggestion is. This will never happen.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Weber is 100% being protected and its not even debatable. Its crazy talk to think Bergevin would be willing to give away Weber or Price to Seattle for free. He loves Weber, and Weber is a big part of the team. Weber's contract is also not as bad as it seems. After 2 years, if Weber doesnt retire, then the habs and Weber could agree to mutually terminate his contract and give him a new one. A contract in which he is paid more than 1 M per year, but does not have the 7.8 M cap hit.

They had all summer and reg season to re-sign Danault, and it did not happen. I doubt it happens before the expansion draft considering its not that far away. Danault will probably become a ufa and see whats out there.

Pretty sure that would be nixed by the league and rightfully so. Pure cap circumvention.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Protected (* = exempt):

Price
*Primeau

Petry
Edmundson
Chiarot
*Romanov
*Guhle
*Fairbrother
*Brook, Leskinen, Schueneman

Toffoli
Gallagher
Anderson
Kotkaniemi
Evans
Lehkonen
Danault (re-sign)
*Caufield
*Suzuki
*Poehling
* Ylonen, Mysak, Lucchini, Teasdale, Hillis, Khisamudtnikov

Exposed (* = available with some NHL experience):

Allen

Weber
Kulak
*Oloffson, Ouellet, Fleury

Drouin
Byron

UFAs not protected at draft day

Merrill, Gustaffson
Tatar, Armia, Perry, Staal, Frolik (could sign some AFTER draft day)

Lindgren, Demchenko
Hudon, Weal, Belzile, Vejdemo, Baddock, Dauphin

AHLers not protected

McNiven
Blandisi, Verbeek, Pezzetta
Under this scenario, Seattle would definitely select Allen, as there is really no other appealing option. If the Habs wanted to have a chance of retaining Allen, then I would protect Weber and expose Chiarot. Seattle would still most likely take Allen, but at least Chiarot gives them something else to consider if they like other goaltending options from elsewhere.

Now, if the Habs could somehow convince Price to waive his NMC and they could protect Allen, then I would definitely protect Chiarot and expose Weber. It would leave Seattle with only unappealing options -- either a veteran with a bad contract, a UFA, or an AHLer.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Under this scenario, Seattle would definitely select Allen, as there is really no other appealing option. If the Habs wanted to have a chance of retaining Allen, then I would protect Weber and expose Chiarot. Seattle would still most likely take Allen, but at least Chiarot gives them something else to consider if they like other goaltending options from elsewhere.

Now, if the Habs could somehow convince Price to waive his NMC and they could protect Allen, then I would definitely protect Chiarot and expose Weber. It would leave Seattle with only unappealing options -- either a veteran with a bad contract, a UFA, or an AHLer.
I think there are better goaltending options than Allen.

Seattle might also like Kulak or Drouin.

Another option is to offer an additional expendable asset for them to take exposed Weber, at which point Allen is safe.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Another option is to offer an additional expendable asset for them to take exposed Weber, at which point Allen is safe.

I think Seattle will have other goaltending options than Allen, too. It's just a matter of giving them something else enticing to select, and the Habs just do not have much. I'm not sure Kulak would be attractive, and it may take more than an "expendable asset" to get them to take on Weber's cap hit. I certainly would not give up a 1st or 2nd round pick to get the Kraken to take a particular player. Maybe they gamble on Drouin turning things around in a different environment -- potential top 6 forwards will be in short supply for them in the draft. Chiarot has some usefulness to them, and they could possibly trade him at the deadline for an asset.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Good non-UFA goaltending options:
Adin Hill
Khudobin
Allen
All but one of Murray/Daccord/Hogberg/Gustavsson/Forsberg
Holtby
Vanecek

Then you have the UFA like Rask, Halak, Driedger, Raanta, Brossoit, Bernier, Rittich, Elliott, Rinne, Smith if they want to sign them before July 1st.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Another potential salary is Seattle selects a draft pick and another player to not take Allen. Perhaps Cale Fleury.

Also, I wonder if they would try to sign Tatar to a 3 year deal.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Seattle will have other goaltending options than Allen, too. It's just a matter of giving them something else enticing to select, and the Habs just do not have much. I'm not sure Kulak would be attractive, and it may take more than an "expendable asset" to get them to take on Weber's cap hit. I certainly would not give up a 1st or 2nd round pick to get the Kraken to take a particular player. Maybe they gamble on Drouin turning things around in a different environment -- potential top 6 forwards will be in short supply for them in the draft. Chiarot has some usefulness to them, and they could possibly trade him at the deadline for an asset.
Of course Chiarot has usefulness, but to us too. I don't consider him expendable for the Habs.

Drouin is a home run swing and Kulak is a solid choice. Byron might be of interest, as Seattle should not have cap problems.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Of course Chiarot has usefulness, but to us too. I don't consider him expendable for the Habs.

Drouin is a home run swing and Kulak is a solid choice. Byron might be of interest, as Seattle should not have cap problems.
I just do not see Kulak as being of any interest to Seattle. He's at best a 6th defenseman, and on a decent defensive squad he sits in the press box. Those players can be picked up easily through other means.

Chiarot does have some usefulness, but his contract is nearing its end, and I doubt he signs another one in Montreal. If losing him allows the Habs to hang onto Allen, then it's a worthwhile trade off, IMO.

I think we are on the same page with Drouin. Seattle may be willing to gamble on him, depending on what they can get at defense and goalie elsewhere.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I just do not see Kulak as being of any interest to Seattle. He's at best a 6th defenseman, and on a decent defensive squad he sits in the press box. Those players can be picked up easily through other means.

Chiarot does have some usefulness, but his contract is nearing its end, and I doubt he signs another one in Montreal. If losing him allows the Habs to hang onto Allen, then it's a worthwhile trade off, IMO.

I think we are on the same page with Drouin. Seattle may be willing to gamble on him, depending on what they can get at defense and goalie elsewhere.
With $2.75M to spend, we can find another decent backup.

Chiarot is too important to us for another 2-3 years to lose for nothing. Norlinder and Guhle are years away.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Yeah I'm half trying to predict what MB is thinking, more than what I would do. Those are two different things.

MB knows if Danault walks that's jeopardizing being competitive to make the playoffs next year. And I'm pretty sure MB wants to make the playoffs. He offered Phil 5M for 5 years, if the rumors are true. So he values Phil a lot. Did that change after this season? Now that we really see the squeeze the flat cap put on? We'll find out within the next 2 months.
Minus in a regular season even with Danault we are not a playoff team. So why not use that 5m extra and try to find a d-man instead. That's my reasoning.

Danault can't keep playing in a top 6 and expect us to do good. He's shown that he can't fill the production of a top 6 center without Gallagher.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We’re losing him in the expansion draft aren’t we?

doubt it, Evans can be protected but we are talking about someone that just went 40 games without a goal.

Believe Seattle wants a crappy back up like Allen all you want. Evans is the guy they are taking.

He's not crappy, he wasn't supposed to be the starter, as I doubt the plan was for Allen to get 30 games this year. The guy has played 18 games during our brutal 24 in 42, 19 unless they give Primeau the nod tomorrow night.

It's all about what other choices in goalies they will have, Allen is certainly looking to be among the best unless there are some surprises.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Minus in a regular season even with Danault we are not a playoff team. So why not use that 5m extra and try to find a d-man instead. That's my reasoning.

Danault can't keep playing in a top 6 and expect us to do good. He's shown that he can't fill the production of a top 6 center without Gallagher.

You're reasoning makes sense.

Right now, I assume MB will be back as GM. So I'm more going with what I think would be the best moves to make, given the general direction and parameters Bergevin will go in and work within. I think re-signing Danault is in the plans. But we'll have to wait and see.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
doubt it, Evans can be protected but we are talking about someone that just went 40 games without a goal.

He's not crappy, he wasn't supposed to be the starter, as I doubt the plan was for Allen to get 30 games this year. The guy has played 18 games during our brutal 24 in 42, 19 unless they give Primeau the nod tomorrow night.

It's all about what other choices in goalies they will have, Allen is certainly looking to be among the best unless there are some surprises.
He's also not a valuable asset that can be flipped for a good return. Goalies are not hard to come by anymore; there's more quality goalies in the world than there are goalie spots in the NHL. If I were Seattle I would pick as few goalies as possible and only from teams with nothing else available and then just sign a starter in the off-season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's also not a valuable asset that can be flipped for a good return. Goalies are not hard to come by anymore; there's more quality goalies in the world than there are goalie spots in the NHL. If I were Seattle I would pick as few goalies as possible and only from teams with nothing else available and then just sign a starter in the off-season.

that's why the Habs have had shit backups for years?

Seattle has to pick 3 goalies so it looks like Allen will be among the best outside of UFA's.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Did you watch Koskinen last night? He won the game but he didn't know where his net was. He was Edmonton's starting goalie at the beginning of the season.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
You're reasoning makes sense.

Right now, I assume MB will be back as GM. So I'm more going with what I think would be the best moves to make, given the general direction and parameters Bergevin will go in and work within. I think re-signing Danault is in the plans. But we'll have to wait and see.
1 thing is , he extended Petry Gallagher quickly and waited for his pseudo Danault. Things make me wonder that Bergevin knows (I hope so) That Danault role is too much and perhaps why he did extend him. Because the more i look at Adam Lowry in Winnipeg. That contract is absolutely perfect for Danault Perhaps 3.75m instead for like 4-5 years but nothing above 4+

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1 thing is , he extended Petry Gallagher quickly and waited for his pseudo Danault. Things make me wonder that Bergevin knows (I hope so) That Danault role is too much and perhaps why he did extend him. Because the more i look at Adam Lowry in Winnipeg. That contract is absolutely perfect for Danault Perhaps 3.75m instead for like 4-5 years but nothing above 4+

If it's true Danault turned down 5x5, we may be lucky. It's a different world post covid, and with a flat cap. But I think this is a lot like the Radulov and Markov situations. I just don't know which way it's going to go. I thought Radulov had us by the balls and MB should pony up what it would take to keep him. But MB drew a line and didn't cross it. But Radulov is a talented player. MB always does that to talented players and always gives above market value to his mediocre talent so-called "character" players, like Byron, Weal, Prust, Emelin, etc... that's what makes me think he'll cross the line and sign Danault.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
If it's true Danault turned down 5x5, we may be lucky. It's a different world post covid, and with a flat cap. But I think this is a lot like the Radulov and Markov situations. I just don't know which way it's going to go. I thought Radulov had us by the balls and MB should pony up what it would take to keep him. But MB drew a line and didn't cross it. But Radulov is a talented player. MB always does that to talented players and always gives above market value to his mediocre talent so-called "character" players, like Byron, Weal, Prust, Emelin, etc... that's what makes me think he'll cross the line and sign Danault.
Because if you sign him for top 6 money , you kinda leave KK hanging. Tatar will most likely not coming back. Poehling and Evans should have roles next season. They might move Caufield to the left with Toffoli.

We all know that if Danault extend in Montreal that he will get Gallagher until Gallagher is finished. I really hope a team like Columbus and Seattle pitch him top 6 salary. I think he could fit in Seattle as new opportunity. He also expressed that the media on Drouin did him some things also. Wouldn't surprise me if he just left the org neither. This is not going nowhere and our #1 d-man and goalie are on the heavy decline. Not sure if Danault will win a cup in Montreal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because if you sign him for top 6 money , you kinda leave KK hanging. Tatar will most likely not coming back. Poehling and Evans should have roles next season. They might move Caufield to the left with Toffoli.

We all know that if Danault extend in Montreal that he will get Gallagher until Gallagher is finished. I really hope a team like Columbus and Seattle pitch him top 6 salary. I think he could fit in Seattle as new opportunity. He also expressed that the media on Drouin did him some things also. Wouldn't surprise me if he just left the org neither. This is not going nowhere and our #1 d-man and goalie are on the heavy decline. Not sure if Danault will win a cup in Montreal.

Yeah there are a lot of big decisions to be made. Thankfully we're in good hands with MB making them. :facepalm:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
that's why the Habs have had shit backups for years?

Seattle has to pick 3 goalies so it looks like Allen will be among the best outside of UFA's.
Montreal chose to have crap backups. You also have to consider organizations like Carolina, Columbus, Nashville and a few others had 3-5 NHL-caliber goalies on their rosters in recent years. This past summer starting goalies had to settle for 2-3 mil show me deals because nobody was looking.
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Take a gander: Literally dozens of quality goalies hitting UFA this summer. I'd count about 10 mid-low range starters in the pile. Certainly over a dozen guys I would consider backups on par or better than Allen.
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Next year isn't bad either.
Did you watch Koskinen last night? He won the game but he didn't know where his net was. He was Edmonton's starting goalie at the beginning of the season.
Chia re-signed Koskinen to a long-term deal before getting canned. What are they supposed to do? Not play him? The Oilers starter is a 39 year old being paid 1.5 mil because nobody wanted or had room for him. A guy who had been a starter for the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad