HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
After tonight’s game Evans is going to be on it. Also, chances are higher Danault does not resign.

My top 5 forwards are: kk, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, and Evan's.

We can add 2 forwards to that group. I'd add a re-signed Danault and Tatar over the field.

Plus, Suzuki and Caufield don't need to be protected.

So we would only lose a Lehkonen, Armia, or Byron. I'm fine with that.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
My top 5 forwards are: kk, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, and Evan's.

We can add 2 forwards to that group. I'd add a re-signed Danault and Tatar over the field.

Plus, Suzuki and Caufield don't need to be protected.

So we would only lose a Lehkonen, Armia, or Byron. I'm fine with that.

Unless Danault, Tuna, and Armia (all 3 UFAs) are resigned as soon as the offseason begins, I'd leave all 3 unprotected...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Unless Danault, Tuna, and Armia (all 3 UFAs) are resigned as soon as the offseason begins, I'd leave all 3 unprotected...

Seattle would then have an exclusive negotiation window with them. I bet MB signs Danault before then, or else he lets him go to the open market. Not sure they do a wink wink. If they try that, Seattle has a window where they can talk to him exclusively. I could see them offering more than whatever he agreed on with MB in the wink wink agreement, and him bolting for Seattle. If MB is going to re-sign him, better to do so before the expansion draft.

If MB doesn't plan on rebuilding and plans on competing for the playoffs, Tatar needs to be replaced with an offensive player if he walks. But MB may not know that. He is the one who let Radulov walk and then signed Hemsky.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Id say its pretty clear now who will be protected.

KK, Gally, Toffoli, Anderson, Drouin, Evans, Lehkonen

Edmundson, Weber, Petry

Price

Chariot or Allen will be picked by Seattle

Reactions: Dutronc

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Edmundson, Weber, Petry

Price

Why not protect Chiarot over Weber?

Why not re-signed Danault over Drouin?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Seattle would then have an exclusive negotiation window with them. I bet MB signs Danault before then, or else he lets him go to the open market. Not sure they do a wink wink. If they try that, Seattle has a window where they can talk to him exclusively. I could see them offering more than whatever he agreed on with MB in the wink wink agreement, and him bolting for Seattle. If MB is going to re-sign him, better to do so before the expansion draft.

If MB doesn't plan on rebuilding and plans on competing for the playoffs, Tatar needs to be replaced with an offensive player if he walks. But MB may not know that. He is the one who let Radulov walk and then signed Hemsky.
Barginbin will make the mistake to give the golden bridge to Danault just waiting for his 2 points in 6 games in the playoff.

Also who cares with the exclusive windows. There are several ufas. Perhaps Seattle want to overpay him , then Danault should go for the money because if someone overpay him so then be it. We can live with Evans being our next defensive center.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Edmundson, Weber, Petry

Price

They need to make two forwards available who are under contract for 2021-22 and have played quite a few NHL games over the past year or two. Your list would only provide Byron as that type of player. Drouin should not be protected, and would fulfill the forward requirement along with Byron.

At forward, protect KK, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Evans and two of the UFAs/RFA -- Danault, Tatar, Armia and/or Lehkonen.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Weber is 100% being protected and its not even debatable. Its crazy talk to think Bergevin would be willing to give away Weber or Price to Seattle for free. He loves Weber, and Weber is a big part of the team. Weber's contract is also not as bad as it seems. After 2 years, if Weber doesnt retire, then the habs and Weber could agree to mutually terminate his contract and give him a new one. A contract in which he is paid more than 1 M per year, but does not have the 7.8 M cap hit.

They had all summer and reg season to re-sign Danault, and it did not happen. I doubt it happens before the expansion draft considering its not that far away. Danault will probably become a ufa and see whats out there.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They need to make two forwards available who are under contract for 2021-22 and have played quite a few NHL games over the past year or two. Your list would only provide Byron as that type of player. Drouin should not be protected, and would fulfill the forward requirement along with Byron.

At forward, protect KK, Toffoli, Gallagher, Anderson, Evans and two of the UFAs/RFA -- Danault, Tatar, Armia and/or Lehkonen.

They could just re-sign Perry and leave him unprotected

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Expose Weber, Drouin and Byron. Re-sign Tuna and Lek. Forwards to protect: KK, Evans, Toffoli, Anderson, Tatar, Gallagher (NMC) and Lek (re-signed). KK also needs to be re-signed. Suzuki and Caufield do not need to be protected. Danault, Armia, Perry and Staal sign elsewhere. However, Perry would be a player that I would try to keep after the draft if he is still available.

On defense: Chiarot, Edmundson, Petry are to be protected. Romanov doesn't need to be exposed. Merrill, Gustafson, Ouellet and Kulak can all be thanked for their valuable services.

On G: Allen will be left exposed.

That basically leaves Weber, Byron, Drouin, Allen and Kulak exposed. No big losses if anyone of them is claimed and will bring much needed cap relief.

UFAs: Danault, Armia, Merrill, Gustafson, Staal, Weal, Perry, Belzile, Frolik, Baddock, Vejdemo, Dauphin, Demchenko, Olofsson and Lindgren. I doubt any one of them are back except for Perry. The BargainBin special and so much to be said about depth. With core pieces Danault, Tatar and Armia walking or potentially losing Drouin, Byron or Lek, a reconstruction is more than imminent.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainKirk

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully by this point we have a new GM. If Bergevin gets an extension, I expect the list to suck and include Drouin and Weber.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Are we the only team in the league with one sure fire D to protect? Can we get assets to protect other teams D and then trade them back to them?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weber is 100% being protected and its not even debatable. Its crazy talk to think Bergevin would be willing to give away Weber or Price to Seattle for free. He loves Weber, and Weber is a big part of the team. Weber's contract is also not as bad as it seems. After 2 years, if Weber doesnt retire, then the habs and Weber could agree to mutually terminate his contract and give him a new one. A contract in which he is paid more than 1 M per year, but does not have the 7.8 M cap hit.

They had all summer and reg season to re-sign Danault, and it did not happen. I doubt it happens before the expansion draft considering its not that far away. Danault will probably become a ufa and see whats out there.

you can't mutually terminate and then sign a new contract with the same team to get the cap hit down. That would be salary cap circumvention...

Weber hasn't been playing close to being worth 7.8M on thg he csp. No doubt MB loves Weber. But Weber's declining. MB can't keep him forever. The question is not if we'll part ways with Wever, but when. I would do it this summer if there was an opportunity to. But for sure MB may not see it that way.

Note, at the beginning of the season MB put Perry on waivers to not expose Byron. Then, into the season, it was the reverse. Things change depending on performance on the ice.

Anyways I highly doubt Seattle would claim Weber. He's too much of a cap hit. They should have better options to use their cap space to take on salary for 1sts and 2nds. They can better use their cap space. I think MB is smart enough to see this.

We may see soon if Weber's poor play this season was due to playing injured. If he heals and plays like the old Weber, that changes everything.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barginbin will make the mistake to give the golden bridge to Danault just waiting for his 2 points in 6 games in the playoff.

Also who cares with the exclusive windows. There are several ufas. Perhaps Seattle want to overpay him , then Danault should go for the money because if someone overpay him so then be it. We can live with Evans being our next defensive center.

Yeah I'm half trying to predict what MB is thinking, more than what I would do. Those are two different things.

MB knows if Danault walks that's jeopardizing being competitive to make the playoffs next year. And I'm pretty sure MB wants to make the playoffs. He offered Phil 5M for 5 years, if the rumors are true. So he values Phil a lot. Did that change after this season? Now that we really see the squeeze the flat cap put on? We'll find out within the next 2 months.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If Bergevin is the GM, he will protect Weber. If he is not, I can see the new guy not protecting Weber.

Danault vs Drouin. I support exposing Drouin even though I am a fan and holding onto hope he can mature

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know Weber has been an anchor as of late, and especially this season, but let’s just be logical here; ZERO chance Weber is exposed. I mean, I suppose it can happen but all these years about character, the locker room environment, the so called class of the organization would be shit canned immediately if Weber was exposed. This team and Bergevin specifically loves Weber too much. Perhaps if Weber asks to be exposed, that’s different but no way otherwise we are not protecting Weber.

Drouin is done though. The kid isn’t even skating right now and assuming again that it’s the pressures and mental wellness issues related to playing in Montreal, the team would be doing him a favour by exposing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad