HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes they hit on a top 10 pick. And mete is a serviceable 6/7 that they got in the fourth round. But during those years, especially 2015 and 2016 they had absolutely no draft capital. Getting a fourth line C doesn't equate to a good draft year. Again in 2015, just getting 1 and maybe a borderline nhler in vejdemo us not a good draft. In 2017 onwards Habs drafted at least 3 probable nhlers in each draft. Poehling, primeau, Brook/Fleury, KK, Romanov, ylonen, and others, Caufield, Norlinder, struble, RHP, and 2020 is too soon to tell but I guarantee Guhle will be a good top 4 D

Yeah I just won't make a judgement on the 2014 and 2015 drafts until we know just how good Evans and Juulsen become.
Note in both of those years we picked 25/26th overall and didn't have a 2nd round pick. So coming away with a top 9 forward or a top 4 D would be a great draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Danault can play on my 3rd line for $3.5 or I sign another offensively challenged defensive center for that role. The extra money can go to keep Armia and Lehkonen who are what you need from 4th liners and know their role at least.

Who are you going to sign to be the 3c?

Danault is widely considered the best Center in the upcoming UFA class?

Maybe you can snag 36 year old Paul Statsny. But no guarantees even of that. And he's playing wing now.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Well, ok if you HAVE to expose 2 F I get the minor conundrum, but i wonder if you HAVE to protect 7 F tho lol , lets just protect 6 and expose drouin and byron lol, works for me

LOL, works for me too. I believe teams are allowed to protect UFA's, so yeah, if it comes down to it, protect Tatar/Danalt and expose both Drouin and Byron.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price is super expensive for any team. But I would think he would love playing out West near his wife,s parents and near BC and his own relatives. No more MTL pressure day in and day out. It would be crazy to not waive his clause.

Habs should even give a pick to Seattle to pick Price and his salary.

I'm curious to see how this plays out from now till the expansion draft. Might stay the same or Price might want out. Then I wonder, would Seattle even want that contract? I think a better plan is to send a pick for them to take Weber (3rd or 4th) and then make a side plan for a Price trade at lets say 40% max. They might bite on the Price and Weber package with Price coming with retention. With the Leafs, it took many years of misery and to hire a President like BS to come in and say... Kessel and Phaneuf are going to be moved ASAP for whatever we can get so we can create a youth group and build on that. Middle of the road or fringe playoff hopes is for losers

This type of thinking is done by our fans. I doubt Management is even considering it. I think a reset or mini rebuild is something that will be forced on us in a season or two rather than being proactive and doing it now.

Proactive in advance vs Reactive at a later date. This is the problem

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Well, ok if you HAVE to expose 2 F I get the minor conundrum, but i wonder if you HAVE to protect 7 F tho lol , lets just protect 6 and expose drouin and byron lol, works for me
Each team has one of two options:

7 forwards, 3 defense, 1 goalie
8 skaters (non-goalies), 1 goalie.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Evans is exposed, you may as well pack his bags. Seattle will take him - - even over an exposed Allen. The center position will be tough for them to fill, as few decent ones will be exposed. A young, developing center would be too attractive to pass up. I doubt they take Drouin, but we would be fortunate if they did.

I would be utterly shocked if they went with a 4th line center over a possible starting goalie unless they go opposite of Vegas and look to get as many young players as possible which would be very surprising as I'm sure they see the success Vegas is having and want to go that route. I just don't see any way Evans gets picked, though we could protect him since we don't have enough forwards to protect.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
protect:

Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Toffoli
Anderson
Evans
Danault (re-signed)
Tatar (re-signed)

Petry
Edmunson
Weber

Allen

That would essentially leave Price, Drouin, Byron or Chiarot for Seattle. Montreal comes out ahead with any of them selected.

I wouldn't expose Weber only because Nashville will send the Habs something for the captain to avoid the recapture penalty. They may not get the king's ransom some here expected in the past, but they will get something.

If Price will not waive his NMC, the protection list isn't really important. Seattle will take Allen.

Evans over Drouin = I'd be surprised
Edmundson over Chiarot = Tough call
Price waiving NMC and Seattle picking him = Doubt it
Re-signing both Tatar & Danault = Tough cap situation
Nashville wanting Weber to avoid recapture panalty = ? (is that under the assumption they could somehow convince him not to retire - not sure how playing for Nsh vs Mtl makes a difference)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Habs probably have one of the easiest protections lists in the NHL to make.

Toffoli
Anderson
Kotkaniemi
Gallagher (NMC - auto protected)
Danault (re-signed)
Tatar (re-signed)
Drouin (Maybe? depends on his value) or Lehkonen/Evans

Petry (NMC - auto protected)
Weber
Edmundson

Price (NMC - auto protected)

Or they can not re-sign Tatar/Danault until after draft. Pretty easy decisions all around. Seattle would take Allen/Chiarot likely.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Nashville wanting Weber to avoid recapture panalty = ? (is that under the assumption they could somehow convince him not to retire - not sure how playing for Nsh vs Mtl makes a difference)

Montreal has plenty of cap space to re-sign both Danault and Tatar

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I wonder if today's Drouin news affects anything on the Seattle front. Of course it's still a long way and many things can happen. But if Drouin doesn't come back even for the playoffs there is no way they even touch his $5.5M contract. He could easily be left unprotected so we can protect someone else (maybe acquire a forward from another team)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i think they'll protect

toffoli
anderson
Gallagher
KK
Evans

and sign 3 of perry/lehks/armia/danault or tatar

i think they leave drouin exposed...

so many moving parts pre-expansion draft for the habs with some key players being left unsigned

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I wonder if today's Drouin news affects anything on the Seattle front. Of course it's still a long way and many things can happen. But if Drouin doesn't come back even for the playoffs there is no way they even touch his $5.5M contract. He could easily be left unprotected so we can protect someone else (maybe acquire a forward from another team)
NOt true, if anything he has more trade value then before

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
Since we don’t have to many forwards to protect(unless they resign some guys) it could be a good time to steal some good players for cheap from other teams who can’t protect them

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I would be utterly shocked if they went with a 4th line center over a possible starting goalie unless they go opposite of Vegas and look to get as many young players as possible which would be very surprising as I'm sure they see the success Vegas is having and want to go that route. I just don't see any way Evans gets picked, though we could protect him since we don't have enough forwards to protect.
Seattle will have other goalies to select from, between the ED and free agency. They will not have many centers to pick from.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
With the current developments regarding Drouin, I doubt Seattle's picking him. No reason to protect him.

It's very unlikely that Seattle takes Price if he waives his NMC -- unless the Habs also send some major additional assets their way. However, waiving the NMC allows Montreal to protect Allen, thereby taking away Seattle's most attractive option and forcing them to take a player that doesn't hurt the Habs -- and probably actually helps their cap situation.

Nashville can put Weber on LTIR instead of him retiring and thereby avoid the recapture penalty. Weber gets $1M per year for doing nothing that he wouldn't get if he retired. The Habs have no incentive for placing him on LTIR, and if Weber retires while with the Habs, Nashville (not Montreal) is hit with almost all the recapture penalty. I think it's around $7M per year for three years under the new rules. That cap space will be worth something to Nashville.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seattle will have other goalies to select from, between the ED and free agency. They will not have many centers to pick from.

We'll see when the lists our out but I don't know if they will get a better goalie then Allen who's signed to a cheap deal after this one ends (if he's a starter for them), would think they can do a lot better then Evans.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We'll see when the lists our out but I don't know if they will get a better goalie then Allen who's signed to a cheap deal after this one ends (if he's a starter for them), would think they can do a lot better then Evans.
It's a moot point, though, as the Habs have plenty of room to protect Evans. They do not have enough good forwards/centers to fill out their 7 spots. Gallagher, KK, Toffoli, Anderson and Evans are it, and there is still plenty of room to re-sign and protect Danault if desired. There is even room to qualify and protect Lehkonen. They can leave Drouin and Byron off the list as the required two qualified forwards exposed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->