Value of: Evander Kane

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sabres aren't trading Kane for Hutton straight up, let alone adding. Hutton has the 2nd least DZS among Canucks dmen behind Larsen. Mediocre possession #s. Not trading a top 10-15 LW in the entire NHL and one of the games best power forwards for a #4 dman, regardless of how long Kane has left on his deal. It's a lot harder to find a proven 20-25 goal power forward then a #4 dman. There are about a handful of forwards who are as physical as Kane, who can forecheck like him, who can fight and PK and score 25-30 goals. Kane averages 26g/82gp for his career and since becoming a Sabre averages 30g/82gp. So essentially Kane is a proven 25 goal scorer and since becoming a Sabre scores at a 30 goal per season rate. In what world is that worth less then Hutton?

Canucks add big time to Hutton for Kane. I'd rather keep Kane this year and next and lose him to free agency before I trade him for Hutton let alone add to Kane :shakehead

Sabres have Guhle coming up either next year or 18-19 who will end up a much better dman then Hutton. They aren't finding another Kane anytime soon. Those type of players are rarely traded and if Kane never had the locker room issues in Winnipeg then there was no chance they were moving him. You know how much a in prime Bertuzzi was worth? Obviously Kane doesn't have the high end offense Bertuzzi did but then again only Ovechkin has matched/surpassed that among power forwards. There is a reason why teams draft power forwards early (see the very same Canucks with Jake Virtanen or Lawson Crouse etc), legit top line power forwards are the hardest kind of player to acquire after franchise centers and legit franchise #1 dmen. Top line power forwards carry a heavy premium in trades and IF Kane is dealt I can't wait to come here and gloat about what he returns because it is easily 2-3x as much as what the Kane haters post here think it will be.

Last edited:

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
The Sabres gave up the rough equivalent of a late first and three seconds for Kane, knowing his character questions. Given the fact he has fit in with his teammates much better than he did in Winnipeg, and that he is producing like a first line player, can someone tell me why Tim Murray is going to trade Kane away for less than what he paid?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The Sabres gave up the rough equivalent of a late first and three seconds for Kane, knowing his character questions. Given the fact he has fit in with his teammates much better than he did in Winnipeg, and that he is producing like a first line player, can someone tell me why Tim Murray is going to trade Kane away for less than what he paid?

Because money phone.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Actually i praised Kane and said he has skill but floats looking for the breakout play. So no i did not come here to bash him but thanks for coming out.

Even fans of Winnipeg who absolutely hated Kane for locker room and off ice antics said time after time "he's a locker room cancer, but plays hard all the time". Now he's in a locker room that by all reports love having him, and he gets along with his team mates just fine. His off ice stuff decreased his value over the off season, no doubt. He had/has a lot of growing up to do, but he's seemed to have done it. Not a single report of off ice issues since the charges were dropped. That could change tomorrow, but today he's our best 5 on 5 player, and our best forchecking forward and creates offense through constant hard work. he's even passing the puck now.

If teams wanted him cheap that time has passed, Murray stuck with him through the bad, no sense selling cheap for the good. We could dangle him to Vegas for expansion and get a decent defenseman from their selections, why sell him for a bottom pairing guy now?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Truth is if the Sabres don't get what they want, they'll just keep kane.

But all the hf pros on here know better

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How many times can people say the same things over and over lol

gonna be a long 8 days in the Kane thread, then crickets when Murray keeps him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Truth is if the Sabres don't get what they want, they'll just keep kane.

But all the hf pros on here know better

Guess he's staying there then, because there's not a chance that he'll get anything close to what some are suggesting in this thread.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Guess he's staying there then, because there's not a chance that he'll get anything close to what some are suggesting in this thread.

Right, that's fine. Kane is far and away our best even strength player, it's honestly not even close. If we lost Kanes ES production this year by trading him for peanuts over the summer we are battling Colorado for last place.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Right, that's fine. Kane is far and away our best even strength player, it's honestly not even close. If we lost Kanes ES production this year by trading him for peanuts over the summer we are battling Colorado for last place.

At this point I almost hope he's traded solely so Buffalo fans get a reality check.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
At this point I almost hope he's traded solely so Buffalo fans get a reality check.

Reality check about what? What have I said that is factually inaccurate? I was one that wanted Kane gone after the BS at the draft, didn't care if it was true or not, it was embarrassing to the organization and the city, honestly he probably could have been had stupid cheap at that point. No one wanted the risk which is 100% understandable, but now that the risk has been negated somewhat because he's been on his best behaviour, and he's having a good season as Buffalo's only serious ES scoring threat game in and game out, now people want the **** up Kane price. That's not how the world works. He was cheap before because of the risk, as risk decreases his price goes up, it's really that simple. He's always been the same player on the ice, he always gave full effort when he was in the game, no question.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Reality check about what?

Lovely individuals like the guy quoted below? That was less directed at you and more so towards Buffalo fans in general who have extremely unrealistic expectations as to what sort of defenseman a top 6 winger will return.

Additionally, it's probably going to take more than 8 months for people to overlook things that happened in June.

pfft.. top two or pound sand

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Lovely individuals like the guy quoted below? That was less directed at you and more so towards Buffalo fans in general who have extremely unrealistic expectations as to what sort of defenseman a top 6 winger will return.

Additionally, it's probably going to take more than 8 months for people to overlook things that happened in June.

OK, just you quoted my post so I thought you directed it at me. I don't think he's bringing back as much as some think, but I do think hell get more then many expect. Kane alone is not gonna get an established 2-3 LHD that we need, he may get us a project with that upside, but they're coveted for expansion.

Maybe a Gostisbehere if Philly feels he's gonna have a career like this year instead of last year, but at this point Hutton/Tanev isn't enough anymore, it was when Murray wanted that for a slumping Kane earlier in the year and it was turned down. why would Murray lower price now? He's not depreciating by the day like a rental, he still has a year left, why take rental prices?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Such typical exaggeration. When you say something on the other end of the extreme, like there's no way Kane gets a top-four D-man, I simply reply to you and about you being ridiculous. I don't lump a bunch of your team's fans into that absurd view.

The general and fair opinion of most Sabres fans (and other fans) is that Kane would get a middle-pair D-man, with a few other variables depending on age and term. The rest is just blathering noise that you seem intent on getting into.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Such typical exaggeration. When you say something on the other end of the extreme, like there's no way Kane gets a top-four D-man, I simply reply to you and about you being ridiculous. I don't lump a bunch of your team's fans into that absurd view.

The general and fair opinion of most Sabres fans (and other fans) is that Kane would get a middle-pair D-man, with a few other variables depending on age and term. The rest is just blathering noise that you seem intent on getting into.

Many people in this thread are saying Kane gets a top 2 dman or we aren't trading him. A 3-4 dman is very possible a 1-2 is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad