Value of: Evander Kane

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We straight up can't afford to take on Beleskey's crappy contract. We have too many crappy contracts that we need to get rid of.

This is sadly true as otherwise that's a trade I'd reluctantly accept. But to have 4 million tied up in a bottom 6 player when we already have ennis, moulson tied up in bottom 6 money and raises for foligno, larsson and Girgensons coming up who I'd rather rather have than bels is problematic for our cap structure. Again not to say value is that far off one way or the other.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No way is a GM going to give up a legit #1/#2 d-man for Evander freaking Kane.

Sabres will be lucky ... yes lucky to get a legit #3/#4 d-man.

A snapshot in time (4-5 months) absolutely, positively doesn't trump several years of history of his production. His low on ice IQ. Let alone his off ice "manners".

I hope hope hope Kane has matured. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

I hope hope hope he can produce 25-35 goals every year for the next 7 years. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

His style of play is high probability for more injuries and shortened seasons. GM's see this for sure. I hope hope hope he stays healthy. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

If I'm a GM, and TM wants a huge return... As shark tank says ...

tumblr_n0qrpzPLJS1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
No way is a GM going to give up a legit #1/#2 d-man for Evander freaking Kane.

Sabres will be lucky ... yes lucky to get a legit #3/#4 d-man.

A snapshot in time (4-5 months) absolutely, positively doesn't trump several years of history of his production. His low on ice IQ. Let alone his off ice "manners".

I hope hope hope Kane has matured. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

I hope hope hope he can produce 25-35 goals every year for the next 7 years. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

His style of play is high probability for more injuries and shortened seasons. GM's see this for sure. I hope hope hope he stays healthy. But it's hope. Not long term proof.

If I'm a GM, and TM wants a huge return... As shark tank says ...

What makes you think a GM is buying him at the deadline to keep him long term? He's the hottest scorer in the NHL. If you're a GM, and you think this is your year to win the cup, you make a move. If you're a GM, and your owner is putting pressure on you to make a push to make the playoffs, you make a move. I think the Sabres could get a top-4 D, or a prospect that projects to be a top 4 D. Especially if they package Kane with Kulikov to offset the loss, and retain salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yes he is, and I don't care if that's what the opinion of this forum is. Evander Kane is flat out a better hockey player than Chris Tanev.

And if that was all that dictated trades, then that might be all that mattered. But sadly this is real life and not a video game. His injury history, his off ice issues and more importantly the position they play has very real and very big impacts on how different players are valued around the NHL.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
In this thread:

Other teams fans - "Give us Evander Kane for our **** players and scraps, he sucks and is horrible and is a ****** person, but we NEED him on our team"

Sabres Fans - "Those trades don't help our team, so no"

Other teams fans - whining now - "Your being so unreasonablllllllllllllle. Commmmmmmmme onnnnnnnnnn. Give him to us for trash returnssssssssssss hes not even goooooooood"

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
That might be interesting center pieces. I don't know how I would feel if Buffalo traded Kane. Our D needs help bad but our offense would suffer without him.

Honestly, this still isn't a playoff team. I get how smokin' Kane has been, but I still don't trust him and he only has a year left. I get it, but I'm still very skeptical.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Which isn't even close to "Buffalo fans in general". Some of them in this thread don't even post on the Sabres board.

I post in Buffalo. Go check out Tim Murray's comments on WGR and then tell me you think he'll trade Kane for a #4 d -man... no chance. I guess it depends who your top 4 are on some teams but Murray loves Kane and wants quality back. You don't have to agree with this but realize it sounds like reality once you hear the GM talk about the guy.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
GMTM went out and hand picked Evander Kane and gushes over him every chance he gets. He gave up significant assets to get him, and he's turning into one of the premier power forwards in this league. There's no way he let's him go for a 3-4 DMan, he would need to be absolutely blown away by an offer. I think there's a much much better chance of the Sabres re-signing him than there is of him being traded.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
GMTM went out and hand picked Evander Kane and gushes over him every chance he gets. He gave up significant assets to get him, and he's turning into one of the premier power forwards in this league. There's no way he let's him go for a 3-4 DMan, he would need to be absolutely blown away by an offer. I think there's a much much better chance of the Sabres re-signing him than there is of him being traded.

Agreed. But we have to get some lingering contracts off the books to do so.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

There's also the issue of only being able to protect three D -man in Vegas draft. Now if he could get a blue chip prospect that is exempt, I could see Kane going and Buffalo even adding to the deal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

You don't sell your used car by listing its flaws to all potential buyers. :laugh:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I post in Buffalo. Go check out Tim Murray's comments on WGR and then tell me you think he'll trade Kane for a #4 d -man... no chance. I guess it depends who your top 4 are on some teams but Murray loves Kane and wants quality back. You don't have to agree with this but realize it sounds like reality once you hear the GM talk about the guy.

Top four is a D-man that plays 20 mins a game, with a particular skill set (puck mover, shut down). That IS "quality". Not being a 25 min all situation D-man doesn't mean it's not a quality player coming back. Also, I would counter the "reality" you think TM's comments infer with the reality of past banter that all GMs put out there about how much they value "their guy". It's all talk. I don't go to one extreme or the other over it. Whatever happens will be enough proof to validate our opinions at some point.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I also don't expect a Kane trade until after the season, just before or after expansion. The only way I think Kane gets traded in the next week is if the other team sees it as such a great solution to both their roster/playoff chances and to get out of an ED bind that they overpay for him. I highly doubt that happens.

I also highly doubt that the Pegulas want to re-sign him and risk another incident. As for TM he'll have a hard time with the cap with a re-sign unless he gets lucky in unloading Moulson/Ennis/Gorges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->