Value of: Evander Kane

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
If we do see a deal, I feel it will be a 4 player swap

Kane + Kulikov for an upgrade at Top 4 D + downgrade at Top 6/9 Wing.

Are there any teams out there who would be looking for such a situation? Perfectly fine holding out to Kane otherwise

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Are there any teams out there who would be looking for such a situation? Perfectly fine holding out to Kane otherwise

I've suggested Kane and Kulikov for Maatta and Hagelin as a base of a deal, but Maatta's injury complicates that and I'm not sure how warm I am on Kulikov right now. I made sure to watch him recently and he looked really bad, I'm concerned about how his back issues have impacted his play.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
I've suggested Kane and Kulikov for Maatta and Hagelin as a base of a deal, but Maatta's injury complicates that and I'm not sure how warm I am on Kulikov right now. I made sure to watch him recently and he looked really bad, I'm concerned about how his back issues have impacted his play.

Man, Kane would look really good with the Pens. I do agree with the above. Getting Hagelin/Maatta would be worth thinking about.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

The Sabres have a potential logjam at wing with the emergence of carrier, Bailey, baptiste plus fasching & Nylander to probably follow.

For this reason I would disagree totally - however if another forward came back in the right deal who improves the team overall that is fine.

This just complicates things in reality though - so for this reason I think it's better to target a simple 1 for 1 base for any potential trade...

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The Sabres have a potential logjam at wing with the emergence of carrier, Bailey, baptiste plus fasching & Nylander to probably follow.

For this reason I would disagree totally - however if another forward came back in the right deal who improves the team overall that is fine.

This just complicates things in reality though - so for this reason I think it's better to target a simple 1 for 1 base for any potential trade...

In a 1 for 1 Kane fetches a second pairing LHD. maybe. Given the precedent of the hall trade that is what Kane will fetch(unless sabres retain salary).

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
Not moving him for anything less than a top 2 defenseman or a top 10 pick which nobody's going to give up so he's not going anywhere.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Not moving him for anything less than a top 2 defenseman or a top 10 pick which nobody's going to give up so he's not going anywhere.

The reason Noone will pay that is because it's not what he's worth. That's what taylor hall is worth (he got a borderline top pairing defenseman) so I don't know why people think Kane could get that.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In a 1 for 1 Kane fetches a second pairing LHD. maybe. Given the precedent of the hall trade that is what Kane will fetch(unless sabres retain salary).

It depends who you define as a 'second pairing lhd'. For the right guy on the right contract I am happy with that return.

If I were gm i'd even be willing to add to Kane to get the right deal made...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

potential candidate would be Minnesota who has exposed Dmen in the expansion draft.

If Buffalo takes back a Dman that means they would have to go 8-1 in protection which means the player coming back would need to be exempt.

Going 8-1 Buffalo would then likely

protect:
F--ROR, KO, Carrier, Girgensons/Larsson
D--acquired D, Risto, Mccabe, Bogo

exposed that otherwise would have been protected in 7-3-1: Larsson/Girgensons, Foligno, if forward acquired in deal was not exempt.

That likely loss will be a factor in the trade. because Buffalo will have to sacrafice one of those players it factors into the deal.

Buffalo wiuld likely be asking for an exmpted player and/or draft pick in a deal while they retain saalry on Kane or Kulikov.

yes Buffalo has astrong load of playerscoming up in the ranks beyond Eichel and Reinhart in Nylander, Fasching, Bapitste, Bailey, Carrier, Asplund, and a few others.

That is why in a deal they could be asking for picks back or ask for prospects not yet signing their ELC

remember Buffalo doesnt hav to move Kane. They have to be convinced with a wowo offer to move him.

in general what you could see in deadline deals is teams trading a player for a pick + a player too old to be exempt that the team puts a condition like say Buffalo was to trade Kulikov to pittsburg for Poillot and a conditional 2nd with the understanding they keep Ppillot exposed in the expansion draft and if he is taken then the pick that was a 2nd turns into a 1st.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
potential candidate would be Minnesota who has exposed Dmen in the expansion draft.

In addition to the expansion draft Minnesota has important RFAs to re-sign this summer and needs every scrap of cap space it can get to do it. We also don't have extra forward protection slots to protect him anyway.

The Wild have absolutely no room and little need for Kane.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Agreed, although Kane won't be moved for draft picks, Murray will want NHL ready player(s).
The reason Noone will pay that is because it's not what he's worth. That's what taylor hall is worth (he got a borderline top pairing defenseman) so I don't know why people think Kane could get that.
The #1 5v5 even strength scorer in the league who is a power forward, PK's, has 1 year left on his contract and is 25 years old will fetch more than your line of thinking would like to admit.

The Sabres don't have to move him and Tim Murray had stated he's not making calls to move him now. Teams with scoring wingers need will call Murray if they are interested, and you can bet some will be.

Defensive top 2 LHD or a top 4 RHD puck mover with a good near NHL ready prospect will be what he gets traded for if he gets moved at all. Certain teams already fit this criteria, others may have to make a move or 2 to get in position. But Kane won't go in a quantity for quality deal, nor for picks, that's not what Murray is looking for. And as has been pointed out, Murray doesn't have to move Kane.

You want to play, your going to pay when it comes to Evander Kane. It's that simple.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed, although Kane won't be moved for draft picks, Murray will want NHL ready player(s).

The #1 5v5 even strength scorer in the league who is a power forward, PK's, has 1 year left on his contract and is 25 years old will fetch more than your line of thinking would like to admit.

The Sabres don't have to move him and Tim Murray had stated he's not making calls to move him now. Teams with scoring winners need will call Murray if they are interested, and you can bet some will be.

Defensive top 2 LHD or a top 4 RHD puck mover with a good near NHL ready prospect will be what he gets traded for if he gets moved at all. Certain teams already fit this criteria, others may have to make a move or 2 to get in position. But Kane won't go in a quantity for quality deal, nor for picks, that's not what Murray is looking for. And ad ad been pointed out, Murray doesn't have to move Kane.

You want to play, your going to pay when it comes to Evander Kane. It's that simple.

Evander Kane
Pros:
Borderline first line left winger number/game
power forward
fast
Cons:
Off ice issuses (not as bad as people claim but still there)
Almost UFA (again minor issue)
Made of GLASS and has never played a full season.

What sabres fans are asking for is ridiculous he is not worth as much as Taylor Hall.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
He had a really good year back in 2011-12. Since then, what? I mean, track record counts. Let's say he gets 45 points this year, then stays out trouble next year and gets 48. You think that's going to get him paid more than 5.25M on a contract with any sort of term?

Maybe, if the Cap goes up. Right now, though, he's a wing with character issues that has established a 30-40 point level of production. Add salary for his toughness. Take away salary for his health, or lack of, and character.

I would think GM's would have owner's looking over their shoulders when they sign their next long FA contracts after the apparent disasters with Ladd, Ericsson, etc..

There's another pretty big factor to the equation. He's coming off his RFA deal and will be 26 years old moving to his UFA deal. That's huge. If he keeps up the power forward goal scoring work horse, he's going to get Kyle Okposo $ or close to it. It is what it is. Like I said, Im not saying he's worth that, but a GM Will pay for it.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

If Buffalo takes back a Dman that means they would have to go 8-1 in protection which means the player coming back would need to be exempt.

Going 8-1 Buffalo would then likely

protect:
F--ROR, KO, Carrier, Girgensons/Larsson
D--acquired D, Risto, Mccabe, Bogo

exposed that otherwise would have been protected in 7-3-1: Larsson/Girgensons, Foligno, if forward acquired in deal was not exempt.

That likely loss will be a factor in the trade. because Buffalo will have to sacrafice one of those players it factors into the deal.

Buffalo wiuld likely be asking for an exmpted player and/or draft pick in a deal while they retain saalry on Kane or Kulikov.

yes Buffalo has astrong load of playerscoming up in the ranks beyond Eichel and Reinhart in Nylander, Fasching, Bapitste, Bailey, Carrier, Asplund, and a few others.

That is why in a deal they could be asking for picks back or ask for prospects not yet signing their

Disagree here - expansion is one area where the Sabres have no issues.

Why do you need to protect Bogosian? If he gets taken I think it's a good result given his contract & injury record.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Defensive top 2 LHD or a top 4 RHD puck mover with a good near NHL ready prospect will be what he gets traded for if he gets moved at all. Certain teams already fit this criteria, others may have to make a move or 2 to get in position. But Kane won't go in a quantity for quality deal, nor for picks, that's not what Murray is looking for. And as has been pointed out, Murray doesn't have to move Kane.

Kane is not worth anywhere near this IMO I think you need a reality check...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Evander Kane
Pros:
Borderline first line left winger number/game
power forward
fast
Cons:
Off ice issuses (not as bad as people claim but still there)
Almost UFA (again minor issue)
Made of GLASS and has never played a full season.

What sabres fans are asking for is ridiculous he is not worth as much as Taylor Hall.

You don't consider the #1 NHL even strength scorer as a border line first line power forward left winger imo.

I don't think it is what fans are asking for. I believe it's what Murray will want.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Kane is not worth anywhere near this IMO I think you need a reality check...

I believe you and many fans like you ignore the position Murray is in with Kane. You simply choose to ignore that Murray is not seeking to move Kane.

I understand, really I do. But the "reality" you speak of is what many of you have checked out of, not I.
I've said my peace on the subject via my opinion.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I believe you and many fans like you ignore the position Murray is in with Kane. You simply choose to ignore that Murray is not seeking to move Kane.

I understand, really I do. But the "reality" you speak of is what many of you have checked out of, not I.
I've said my peace on the subject via my opinion.

I understand - but as I tried to explain in my long post earlier I don't see how Kane can be accommodated long term.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I never said those two someone asked do the Sabres have an internal limit on talented players. I never said which playes had to go.

I was responding to this:

Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
You are right that at some point there will need to be a choice between Kane & Reinhart.

My response:

Why?

Do the Sabres have a self-imposed limit on the number of talented forwards they're allowed to have?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I understand - but as I tried to explain in my long post earlier I don't see how Kane can be accommodated long term.

There are many options with Kane move him in the off season, next dead line, re-sign him. All depending on performance of course.

Right now his price would be high. I'll open up just a bit here, I have a 70's Sabres alum who is a family friend. Pittsburg is interested. But Anaheim has the ammo to get it done.
And I am not saying Anaheim is speaking with Buffalo, merely this persons take on the current view of the league.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
There are many options with Kane move him in the off season, next dead line, re-sign him. All depending on performance of course.

Right now his price would be high. I'll open up just a bit here, I have a 70's Sabres alum who is a family friend. Pittsburg is interested. But Anaheim has the ammo to get it done.
And I am not saying Anaheim is speaking with Buffalo, merely this persons take on the current view of the league.

The sabres have no reason to deal him before the tdl. None at all.

But that isn't the debate we're having??

I'm talking prior to needing to resign him.

If something happens with the ducks I guess pre expansion would be a good time?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The sabres have no reason to deal him before the tdl. None at all.

But that isn't the debate we're having??

I'm talking prior to needing to resign him.

If something happens with ther ducks I guess pre expansion would be a good time?

If they want him to increase scoring for their run this season, sure.
But yea, pre expansion otherwise as they get a year of Kane.

Murray could always retain to sweeten a deal on Kane as well, further enhancing his gross value.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
People should back and listen to Tim Murray's recent interview on Kane where he basically says he's playing like the guy I thought I traded for.

Forget what you think his value is, Murray has it is his mind what that value actually is and it's very high. It will be a top defender not just a top 4 guy. You can debate whether he's right but if you listen to the interview on WGR you get a pretty good picture of where his mind is.

Sure it can change. A criminal charge or Kane let's it be known he wants eight years x 7.5 million or something crazy.

But this guy is likely only moving for top value. I'm not saying I agree but I think it's the reality.

Do you want me to wait while you find the list of wingers who've fetched established top pairing D in a trade? It's a very short list. All with wingers much better then Kane. And/or who've had more term then Kane.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He had a really good year back in 2011-12. Since then, what? I mean, track record counts. Let's say he gets 45 points this year, then stays out trouble next year and gets 48. You think that's going to get him paid more than 5.25M on a contract with any sort of term?

Maybe, if the Cap goes up. Right now, though, he's a wing with character issues that has established a 30-40 point level of production. Add salary for his toughness. Take away salary for his health, or lack of, and character.

I would think GM's would have owner's looking over their shoulders when they sign their next long FA contracts after the apparent disasters with Ladd, Ericsson, etc..

Do you know where Kane ranks in ES goals over the last 2 seasons? 18th. Ahead of players like Kucherov, Kessel, Duchene and Wheeler. ES points is worse at #119. However considering the games played, that's not that much of a surprise.

Do I think Kane is generally overvalued by Buffalo fans in what they think they could get (or rather what they want) in a trade? 100% without a doubt. But you're deluding yourself if you don't think that a GM will pay 5m+ for someone who plays with his edge, has his size, is his age, and can produce at a 50+ point pace while scoring mostly at ES.

Is his off ice issues a concern? Absolutely. But some GM will still take that chance on him. Why? Because talent is hard to come by, and regardless of what you think of Kane, he has talent.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
If the Sabres are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline, I could see Kane and Kulikov/Franson to the Pens for Maatta, 1st and an expiring cap dump. The 1st will be super late, and this draft is considered weak.

Kulikov/Franson are not as good as Maatta, but Kane would be huge for the Pens. He's the hottest scorer in the NHL right now, and would be great in the playoffs for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad