Value of: Evander Kane

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I also don't expect a Kane trade until after the season, just before or after expansion. The only way I think Kane gets traded in the next week is if the other team sees it as such a great solution to both their roster/playoff chances and to get out of an ED bind that they overpay for him. I highly doubt that happens.

I also highly doubt that the Pegulas want to re-sign him and risk another incident. As for TM he'll have a hard time with the cap with a re-sign unless he gets lucky in unloading Moulson/Ennis/Gorges.

Finally another voice of reason...

I'll ask about Tanev again. Kane bashers & blind Sabres homers are both welcome to not reply.

What would Vancouver want in addition to Kane for Tanev?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
You don't sell your used car by listing its flaws to all potential buyers. :laugh:

This is true, but I have a hard time believing Murray made that trade with thought of turning around and trading him a couple years later. I'm guessing Murray wanted and wants him to be part of the core for a very long time.

ROR, Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Risto is one hell of a core to build off of for a long time.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Finally another voice of reason...

I'll ask about Tanev again. Kane bashers & blind Sabres homers are both welcome to not reply.

What would Vancouver want in addition to Kane for Tanev?

Girgensons + a near nhl ready D prospect in addition to Kane.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
When did Tanev become a 1D?

He's far and away our best Dman so why not ask for the value he has to our team even if its more than what other teams value him at? Tanev is an elite defensive RHD, if you dont like the price stop asking about him maybe?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Girgensons + a near nhl ready D prospect in addition to Kane.

Only d prospect we have who looks anywhere near like having an nhl future is guhle & he is not available.

My counter would be:

Kane, Girg, mid round pick 2017

For

Tanev, conditional 2nd round pick in 2018 or 2019 should Kane extend.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Only d prospect we have who looks anywhere near like having an nhl future is guhle & he is not available.

My counter would be:

Kane, Girg, mid round pick 2017

For

Tanev, conditional 2nd round pick in 2018 or 2019 should Kane extend.

Tanev + CBJ 2nd ('18 or '19 - CBJ decides)

For

Kane, Girg + '17 3rd and 18 '3rd

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If you want Girg, you're going to need to add a bit, or take one of our bad contracts (Moulson/Ennis).

I disagree. He more or less makes up the difference in value between Kane & Tanev given their position (d>w) & contract (Tanev signed longer).

Seeing as Seatoo is more or less rearranging picks with the counter counter I think this is pretty fair. Buffalo sends Vancouver a pick in the deal but gets back a slightly better pick should Kane resign.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
He's far and away our best Dman so why not ask for the value he has to our team even if its more than what other teams value him at? Tanev is an elite defensive RHD, if you dont like the price stop asking about him maybe?

I didn't say he wasn't or that you can't ask whatever you want. I didn't ask for him, not once. A package of Kane Girgensons and another near NHL ready, therefore protected, defenseman is a massive ask and people thinking Tanev is enough are fooling themselves. That's a package for a young 1D so either Kane is being undervalued a ton or Tanev over valued, or maybe Tanev is now a true 1D which is why I asked when did he become a 1D. Also Buffalo would have him as a middle pairing guy since Risto isn't coming off the top pair, and that's way too much to give up to cut Ristos minutes back by 3 or 4. If Buffalo gives up Kane, Girgensons, and Guhle (young nearly NHL ready D) it's for a guy who will play with Risto or take over for him because he's a better puck moving defenseman.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I didn't say he wasn't or that you can't ask whatever you want. I didn't ask for him, not once. A package of Kane Girgensons and another near NHL ready, therefore protected, defenseman is a massive ask and people thinking Tanev is enough are fooling themselves. That's a package for a young 1D so either Kane is being undervalued a ton or Tanev over valued, or maybe Tanev is now a true 1D which is why I asked when did he become a 1D. Also Buffalo would have him as a middle pairing guy since Risto isn't coming off the top pair, and that's way too much to give up to cut Ristos minutes back by 3 or 4. If Buffalo gives up Kane, Girgensons, and Guhle (young nearly NHL ready D) it's for a guy who will play with Risto or take over for him because he's a better puck moving defenseman.

Young #1D don't get traded for anything (other than maybe another young #1D or possibly a young #1C) I don't know where you got how Kane, Girgs, and a prospect = a young #1 defensman. Your value system is way, way off.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Young #1D don't get traded for anything (other than maybe another young #1D or possibly a young #1C) I don't know where you got how Kane, Girgs, and a prospect = a young #1 defensman. Your value system is way, way off.

I'm saying that's what it takes to get that package from Buffalo, not that anyone would pay it. I fully expect Kane to stay with the team. Murray wanted a Tanev type player for Kane straight up when he was playing really bad, he's not going to lower that price now that Kane might be the hottest player available at the TDL. For us to open holes on our first line winger, third line center, and expansion exempt defenseman it's going to take a player that makes us much better on the backend by themselves, that means someone to play with or supplant Risto. If we trade a package that says "now our defense is set for the next 5 years, let's get Bailey, Baptiste, and Nylander up here and see what we have for next year." That player is not Tanev, not even Shattenkirk, I'd expect a Jones or Reilly for anything near that package, and those players are not available at all.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It keeps getting regurgitated how defensemen are so valuable and worth so much but it keeps conveniently getting overlooked that power forwards are even more valuable and far more scarce then #2/3 dmen. There are a handful of true top 6 power forwards in the game. Very few come up in the draft and when they do they are drafted earlier then expected see Nick Ritchie, Jake Virtanen and Lawson Crouse. Not only that but they take longer to develop which makes Kane's 150 career goals at age 25 even more impressive. How many players are capable of being in the upper echelon for hits among forwards/physical, score 20-25 goals, drop the gloves,forecheck with tenacity, have a good 2 way game, PK and have elite speed? Having Kane out there with a high end talented player has the added bonus of having an on ice protector who will step in and defend your talented player. I'm not giving up that for a non #1 dman. If Kane didn't have any off ice issues then he'd be totally untouchable and these type of proposals would be laughed at. Fortunately HFboards trade rumors and free agent talk posters aren't even close in gauging Kane's value in real life so it'll funny to see Kane's return IF he is dealt. My guess is he isn't. He's a 25 year old high end LW power forward who can hit, forecheck, elite speed, can PK, one of the best ES goal scorers in the game, can fight and has 150 career goals and is only 25. I'll gladly re-sign him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We straight up can't afford to take on Beleskey's crappy contract. We have too many crappy contracts that we need to get rid of.

This is sadly true as otherwise that's a trade I'd reluctantly accept. But to have 4 million tied up in a bottom 6 player when we already have ennis, moulson tied up in bottom 6 money and raises for foligno, larsson and Girgensons coming up who I'd rather rather have than bels is problematic for our cap structure. Again not to say value is that far off one way or the other.

What if it was Hayes (expires after next season) and Bruins downgrade one of the other assets?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I wouldn't do Tanev straight up for Kane, forget adding Girgs.

And some Sabres fans are good with that trade? For reals?

Kane is worth a #3 RHD of around the same age....Sabres are able to trade him due to the winger depth we have in the AHL but won't trade him for anything less but stop pretending he is untouchable.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Kane is worth a #3 RHD of around the same age....Sabres are able to trade him due to the winger depth we have in the AHL but won't trade him for anything less but stop pretending he is untouchable.

Who the hell said he's untouchable?

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I think it's highly unlikely Kane gets dealt before the deadline... Murray has said time and time again he is only looking for an NHL ready defenseman, aged 22-25, cost controlled, ready to take on top-4 minutes in return for Kane. Pretty high asking price

I really think we should explore moving him in the offseason though. He is shooting at nearly a 13% rate right now... he hasn't topped 8-9% for any season total in years. I like Kane and am more than okay keeping him, but if we can get exactly what GMTM is looking for in return like I described above, I'd consider pulling the trigger.

I'd rather if anything add to Kane (1st or top prospect) to get an even better defenseman, than trade Kane 1 for 1 for just a good one. Would love Vatanen....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad