Value of: Evander Kane

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
He's far and away our best Dman so why not ask for the value he has to our team even if its more than what other teams value him at? Tanev is an elite defensive RHD, if you dont like the price stop asking about him maybe?

This is the outlook NJ took and it got them Hall, so more power to you I guess

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Tanev for Kane is not going to happen. Tanev is not "old" by any means, but he will be 28 next season, and GMTM has said multiple times he is looking more for a defenseman in the 22-25 range, which makes sense, since we are still a year or two away from being serious players for playoffs

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think it's highly unlikely Kane gets dealt before the deadline... Murray has said time and time again he is only looking for an NHL ready defenseman, aged 22-25, cost controlled, ready to take on top-4 minutes in return for Kane. Pretty high asking price

I really think we should explore moving him in the offseason though. He is shooting at nearly a 13% rate right now... he hasn't topped 8-9% for any season total in years. I like Kane and am more than okay keeping him, but if we can get exactly what GMTM is looking for in return like I described above, I'd consider pulling the trigger.

I'd rather if anything add to Kane (1st or top prospect) to get an even better defenseman, than trade Kane 1 for 1 for just a good one. Would love Vatanen....

I actually have a theory about this. If you look at his shots per game he is also almost a shot lower per game than he was last year. It also seems people (along with myself) are noticing that he is doing less of his patented streaking down the wing and shot right into the goalie crest. It's been noticed he is utilizing his teammates more now than he has in the past.

I feel like he is being more careful in his shot selection than he has been prior. His shooting percentage may be up because he isn't taking useless shots as much as he used to.

For the record, I am not saying he will sustain 13%.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I actually have a theory about this. If you look at his shots per game he is also almost a shot lower per game than he was last year. It also seems people (along with myself) are noticing that he is doing less of his patented streaking down the wing and shot right into the goalie crest. It's been noticed he is utilizing his teammates more now than he has in the past.

I feel like he is being more careful in his shot selection than he has been prior. His shooting percentage may be up because he isn't taking useless shots as much as he used to.

For the record, I am not saying he will sustain 13%.

I agree with this. I don't think it is the full reason for the shot % change - I think he's having a little better puck luck this year than last year, after reviewing his goals he's scored this year - but I think you are onto something, as I've noticed it as well, particularly recently.

It's encouraging to see, because the "streak down the wing and fire it once your skate touches the blue line" thing was starting to drive me crazy

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I agree with this. I don't think it is the full reason for the shot % change - I think he's having a little better puck luck this year than last year, after reviewing his goals he's scored this year - but I think you are onto something, as I've noticed it as well, particularly recently.

It's encouraging to see, because the "streak down the wing and fire it once your skate touches the blue line" thing was starting to drive me crazy

I just crunched a few numbers to see what it looks like

He is generating 3.4 shots per game this year. If he produced shots at that same rate last year for the 65 games he played and he scored the same amount of goals (20) his shooting percentage is 11.05.

If you check the other way. He was generating 4.1 shots per game last year. If he produced the same volume of shots this year for the 48 games he has played and he scored the same amount of goals (21) his shooting percentage drops to 9.3 which is much closer to his norm. Still a little higher but that could be the better puck luck as you have indicated in your post.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I just crunched a few numbers to see what it looks like

He is generating 3.4 shots per game this year. If he produced shots at that same rate last year for the 65 games he played and he scored the same amount of goals (20) his shooting percentage is 11.05.

If you check the other way. He was generating 4.1 shots per game last year. If he produced the same volume of shots this year for the 48 games he has played and he scored the same amount of goals (21) his shooting percentage drops to 9.3 which is much closer to his norm. Still a little higher but that could be the better puck luck as you have indicated in your post.

Interesting, thanks for posting. I do think it is a fairly even combo of both - playing smarter & having some good luck this season

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Craig Rivet reports that the Sabres will sign Kane to an extension in the summer.

Rivet is a fairly new full time radio host in Buffalo...

https://twitter.com/TheInstigators/status/834788747438874624

I wouldn't put too much credibility into a Craig Rivet rumor, I took that tweet/statement more as an opinion rather than having a source or something like that.

But if Kane even partially keeps this recent streak up for the rest of the season, I don't see why we wouldn't try and extend him.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think it's highly unlikely Kane gets dealt before the deadline... Murray has said time and time again he is only looking for an NHL ready defenseman, aged 22-25, cost controlled, ready to take on top-4 minutes in return for Kane. Pretty high asking price

I really think we should explore moving him in the offseason though. He is shooting at nearly a 13% rate right now... he hasn't topped 8-9% for any season total in years. I like Kane and am more than okay keeping him, but if we can get exactly what GMTM is looking for in return like I described above, I'd consider pulling the trigger.

I'd rather if anything add to Kane (1st or top prospect) to get an even better defenseman, than trade Kane 1 for 1 for just a good one. Would love Vatanen....

Literally the only thing Tanev isn't out of those things is 22-25. His style of play he will be good for awhile.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Literally the only thing Tanev isn't out of those things is 22-25. His style of play he will be good for awhile.

I hear ya, I like Tanev. And our D is so poor, he immediately becomes the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman on the team, no questions asked. Just re-iterating what I know our GM has said a bunch of times... doesn't sound like he's interested in players in their late 20's/nearing 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad