Value of: Evander Kane

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Trading him just doesn't make sense. With is his contract term running out the Sabres won't get fair value. The Sabres needs is a top 4 dman. But no playof contender is giving up a top 4dman before their playoff run. I just don't see how it would work.

All the nonsense about his reputation isn't a factor. Teams are well aware of the value of a goal scoring true power forward. It's the term that makes him more valuable to buffalo than trading him

A contending team may give up a player they can afford to lose in the near term. But has considerable value to a team worried about years down the road.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What are the sabres looking for in terms of D and goalies?

They don't need goalies.....

A solid top 4 Dman around the same age or younger than Kane.

If it's not taking a current roster player it will cost a 1st + 3 very good ELCs(in 17/18) with oe being a Dman who projects as a #2 ir #3 dman.

Buffalo does not need to move him so it would cost a wow offer.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
What would sabres realistically want from the habs for Kane?

I won't say he isn't traded at all, but in the division? Seems like a bad idea.
Can't see a match here anyway, Sergachev won't be available and Beaulieu doesn't cut it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If I was Buffalo and he genuinely is a good fit there, re-sign him. He is a great great player to have on a 3rd line of a tough team.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
A contending team may give up a player they can afford to lose in the near term. But has considerable value to a team worried about years down the road.

Agreed, but the sabres are trying to turn the corner now. And in big part, thanks to kane, they are. Years down the road isn't what we need for kane. And I Just dont see a team giving up a top 4 d that is helping out now for forward. That's all.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In tim murrays world i feel kanes resurgence makes reinhart expendable. I really can't see kane being moved at this point.

You are right that at some point there will need to be a choice between Kane & Reinhart.

You are wrong in saying that Kane is ahead of Reinhart in that decision.

I echo comments made by other level headed Sabres fans - kane should be available for either an established top 4 d or a younger player that realistically projects into a top 4 d. No quantity for quality proposals, no lowball offers or no proposals including another forward coming back please.

Tanev remains the best propisal I have seen for Kane.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He is? That's news to us. Not one single issue in the locker room his 2 full years here that he has been a Sabre. Teammates actually have praised him and love having him. People need to stop going off of what he was in Winnipeg. And it's quite clear that Kane wasn't the only problem there. They got rid of him and they are still a disfunctional underachieving team even though people made it seem he was the root of all their problems.

While I tend to agree that that is probably overblown to some extent, it's not like he's been an angel since arriving in Buffalo. And this is coming from someone that is still pretty leery of him. That said, if/when he's producing like this I suspect that GMs will be a little more forgiving then they might have been before.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Has he had any off-ice issues this season? Canucks fan genuinely curious. I remember when there were rumours of Kane being shopped for low before he started turning it on

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They don't need goalies.....

A solid top 4 Dman around the same age or younger than Kane.

If it's not taking a current roster player it will cost a 1st + 3 very good ELCs(in 17/18) with oe being a Dman who projects as a #2 ir #3 dman.

Buffalo does not need to move him so it would cost a wow offer.

:laugh: :popcorn:

This just gets better and better.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's a dumb proposal. Another dumb quantity for quality.

If Kane gets moved, it will most likely be a one for one deal. Or a two for one deal.

I don't think you'll get the player HF fans seem to want in a 1-1 deal. Realistically it's a package deal that has a good young D coming back - but not one who's come close to establishing himself as a top 4D. But there's no way that package includes a 1st and multiple (3+) prospects - at least not if those prospects are actually any good.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think you'll get the player HF fans seem to want in a 1-1 deal. Realistically it's a package deal that has a good young D coming back - but not one who's come close to establishing himself as a top 4D. But there's no way that package includes a 1st and multiple (3+) prospects - at least not if those prospects are actually any good.

It really makes no sense for Buffalo to move Kane unless it's a good hockey trade. We've got a forward in his prime years who excels at producing even strength goals on a team that doesn't do so great with that, provides speed and physicality, kills penalties. The Sabres shouldn't be giving that up for a handful of air with some dreams in it -- good hockey trade or no trade.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

And that makes zero sense for the Sabres to do. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Spoiler: Sabres don't have to trade Kane. He is playing great and fills a crucial role. Our GM specifically targeted him, and he has chemistry with our most important player.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Scores again.

21 in 38. :amazed:

21 in 36 actually. Kane in real life is worth a lot. HF and their anti Kane bias like to under value him and treat him like he's some third line bum. He's a top 10-15 LW in the game and one of the best power forwards, you know what power forwards are worth? Kane is worth far more then a mere middle pairing dman it isn't funny.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
When you are talking 2/3/4 Dmen a top 6 winger has same value.

A top winger is less than top Dman which is less than a top center.

None of this is true in the NHL. Top 4 defenseman hold more value than most wingers in the league and top pair defensemen hold the most value around the league followed by top centers Wingers are the least important position to building a winning team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You are right that at some point there will need to be a choice between Kane & Reinhart.

Why?

Do the Sabres have a self-imposed limit on the number of talented forwards they're allowed to have?

It's league imposed called a cap

The Sabres currently allocate more than $16m to their bottom-6 wings:

Moulson ($5m)
Ennis ($4.6m)
Gionta ($4.25m)
Foligno ($2.25m)

The Sabres have a cavalcade of young wingers on ELC's (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Nylander) who'll be taking full-time roster spots over the next year or so. They also have solid bottom-6 players whose cost will stay depressed due to lack of offensive numbers (Larsson, Girgensons - though one will likely be moved). Heck, even Rodrigues looks like he could be a 4th line staple. Kane can be fit in the overall salary structure.

I also disagree with the premise that the defense can't be improved without moving Kane or Reinhart, or that their next contracts somehow foreclose the possibility of improving the defense. Finding a better allocation for the nearly $10m being paid to Bogo and Kulikov would do wonders on that front.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It really makes no sense for Buffalo to move Kane unless it's a good hockey trade. We've got a forward in his prime years who excels at producing even strength goals on a team that doesn't do so great with that, provides speed and physicality, kills penalties. The Sabres shouldn't be giving that up for a handful of air with some dreams in it -- good hockey trade or no trade.

I understand that. But if you acknowledge how the NHL values players (C / D < W < G), you should be able to understand that given Kane's position, contract status, injury history and off ice issues (they're there, even if we don't want to discuss them), and see that the odds of Buffalo getting a top 3D is almost certainly not going to happen. And getting a young top 4D - even one with limited upside is probably going to be a challenge.

Buffalo fans keep saying "well if we don't get this absurd over payment, we'll just keep him". And that's fine - as long as they understand that what they're asking for is even more than that, and the risk that comes with going that route. Kane has 1.5 years before he's a UFA. Maybe he signs a rich FA contract and sticks around. However he could just as easily decide to cash in as a 26 yr old FA winger and go to a place of his choosing.

And that makes zero sense for the Sabres to do. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Spoiler: Sabres don't have to trade Kane. He is playing great and fills a crucial role. Our GM specifically targeted him, and he has chemistry with our most important player.

It has nothing to do with me not understanding why Buffalo fans aren't excited at the idea of trading Kane and the realistic returns that come with that idea. It's me pointing out the obvious that Kane will not return the piece(s) that Buffalo fans are demanding for in this thread. This isn't rocket science. Go look at all the past Forward for D trades and see how heavily skewed/valued they are in regard to who everyone thinks is the better player. Even those discussed to death on HF, almost every single time, the team giving up the D was told they would have to add, and add a lot. Rarely happened, and if it did, they were not adding anything close to what HF said they would have to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad