Value of: Evander Kane

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Buffalo does not have to trade him at all

If they do, they are not interested in salary dumps, veterans, average d-men, goalies or any other players that don't fit their long term plans.

If your team want's Kane, it's going to hurt, badly.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
21 in 36 actually. Kane in real life is worth a lot. HF and their anti Kane bias like to under value him and treat him like he's some third line bum. He's a top 10-15 LW in the game and one of the best power forwards, you know what power forwards are worth? Kane is worth far more then a mere middle pairing dman it isn't funny.

Who has ever said that Kane is a bad hockey player? His problems are how he acts when he is not on the ice.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The Sabres can afford to keep Kane, pay a Dman 7M in the offseason, and afford raises for Jack and Sam if the unload Ennis or Moulson in the expansion draft with their expiring contracts like Gorges, Gionta, etc.

If they cant sign someone (Shattenkirk) then trading Kane in the right deal makes sense, but it wont be for salary reasons. Atleast Half of our top 9 wingers next season will likely be on ELCs

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I really think its just salty Jets fans that are seeing what they gave away and always revert to the "he's a bad person" narrative.

Ray Lewis killed a guy.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It only makes sense for Buffalo to move Kane for a D-man (under 25). Using forward depth to improve the D makes sense.

Moving Kane for futures (at this point) does not.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
And minus a couple issues, he's been at every charity event the team has hosted, and taken at least 3 kids clubs on night out trips.

This "he's a bad person" mantra is very overblown

I really think its just salty Jets fans that are seeing what they gave away and always revert to the "he's a bad person" narrative.

Ray Lewis killed a guy.

Hold on. Being investigated twice for two separate incidents of assault within 6 months is not "a couple of issues"....it's a serious problem. He also missed a practice because he flew to Toronto and partied too hard the night before. He's been in the NHL almost 7 seasons now, he should know better. These aren't 'minor' issues.

To Kane's credit, he's kept his nose clean this year. He's taken less trips and has maintained a good involvement in off the ice charity things. However, so does basically every other NHLer. The hope is he's turned a corner. However, his past decisions are going to reflect negatively on his trade value.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Trading him just doesn't make sense. With is his contract term running out the Sabres won't get fair value. The Sabres needs is a top 4 dman. But no playof contender is giving up a top 4dman before their playoff run. I just don't see how it would work.

All the nonsense about his reputation isn't a factor. Teams are well aware of the value of a goal scoring true power forward. It's the term that makes him more valuable to buffalo than trading him

No, TM probably won't get fair value in a Kane trade, but a top 4 D-man that becomes a good partner for Ristolainen or a RHD that can push Bogosian down a pair would be a much needed addition. The other option is re-signing him long term, and that's a hell of a gamble. We as fans might not feel the pressure, but any GM that has dealt with Kane's off-ice stuff will soak sweat through their shirt as they file that paperwork with the NHL.

We can debate Kane's value to the Nth degree, but I think that TM just does not want to risk a fiasco down the road. More specifically, Terry and Kim Pegula will not be the people that carry the guilt of having kept a potential suspect/defendant in a future sex assault case in town by re-signing him. I'm not being dramatic, just pointing out the valid concerns that the Pegulas would have. They WILL NOT be the people that take that risk.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
People should back and listen to Tim Murray's recent interview on Kane where he basically says he's playing like the guy I thought I traded for.

Forget what you think his value is, Murray has it is his mind what that value actually is and it's very high. It will be a top defender not just a top 4 guy. You can debate whether he's right but if you listen to the interview on WGR you get a pretty good picture of where his mind is.

Sure it can change. A criminal charge or Kane let's it be known he wants eight years x 7.5 million or something crazy.

But this guy is likely only moving for top value. I'm not saying I agree but I think it's the reality.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If I had to guess I would say Kane stays put until at least next February. I don't think it makes sense to move him now unless it was for an overpayment. If Buffalo does slip a bit after their bye week, and other teams make up ground while playing this week, then I would at least listen to offers. But I would not want a quantity for quality trade, a simple 2 for 1 deal is fine. I would listen to a 1st rounder (in a weak draft) plus a top D prospect. Other Buffalo fans might freak, but if we are selling then we don't need them to step in right away. I'm thinking someone who is just about ready to step in next year and eat up some minutes, with a top 4 ceiling. The first rounder helps fill Ghule's spot since he will be up next year, which deplete's our D propect pool all over again.

That would be my asking price, and for a top power forward in the league who has stayed clean with the public all year (yes I know just this year), and is performing like a bat out of hell, i don't think that's out of the question. Multiple teams are all going to be calling us for top tier scoring in the next week or two. I could really see a dynamic player like Kane putting a team over the edge for a deep run.

The reason I lean more towards a first and a prospect that's near ready rather than help right now is it will help our cap issues moving forward. If we move him for a Scandella type of player, he's on the books and gives us less room for contracts in the next year or two. I want more cap control.

Otherwise, just keep him and see how he performs. Talk about extension over the summer and see if he is open to it with a minimal raise.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why would he deserve a raise? If BUFF believes in him as a person and a player, they should try to get signed for about 3.5-4M per/4yr. next year.

Right now he isn't worth what he is getting paid as a hockey player, never mind the peripheral issues which further devalue him. If he didn't get paid so much and didn't have "history" then Scandella might be in play due to the ED (Wild can't protect him) and the Wild having depth at LHD. As is, the salary alone makes it impossible to take him on, as it would hamper signing Nino and Granlund over the summer, who are due raises.

Last edited:

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Why would he deserve a raise? If BUFF believes in him as a person and a player, they should try to get signed for about 3.5-4M per/4yr. next year.

Right now he isn't worth what he is getting paid as a hockey player, never mind the peripheral issues which further devalue him. If he didn't get paid so much and didn't have "history" then Scandella might be in play due to the ED (Wild can't protect him) and the Wild having depth at LHD. As is, the salary alone makes it impossible to take him on, as it would hamper signing Nino and Granlund over the summer, who are due raises.

If he continues his current play into next season, I'd love to make a bet that he gets raise from whoever signs him. 3.5 would be laughed at by his agent. Not saying it's wrong, but thats certainly how it would go.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
So N.Beaulieu + for Kane gets the ball rolling?

I don't know much about Beaulieu. I skimmed his player discussion thread. Seems like he has the tools to be top 4, but hasn't put it all together? Plenty of games played at this point. Is he a "change of scenery" should do him well?

Probly depends what the plus is, and on top of that it's trading within division. I'd rather not face Kane.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

You really have no clue when it comes to the current financial market in the league do you? 3.5-4m? Why did you bother writing that ? That's a joke. Like straight up joke. I don't even got to bother repeating myself about everything Kane brings. Kane is a legit power forward. You planning on offering Niederreiter 3.5 mil long term? Because Kane is a better player and it's not even debatable.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Ray Lewis killed a guy.

I love him as a player. He's not a franchise winger, which is what a lot of Jets fans were hoping for seeing him score 30 on his ELC, but Buffalo didn't pay a franchise winger price for him.

He's always been a fantastic player when he's healthy.

His off-ice issues in Buffalo have been far greater than any that were ever reported while he was in Winnipeg.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he continues his current play into next season, I'd love to make a bet that he gets raise from whoever signs him. 3.5 would be laughed at by his agent. Not saying it's wrong, but thats certainly how it would go.

He had a really good year back in 2011-12. Since then, what? I mean, track record counts. Let's say he gets 45 points this year, then stays out trouble next year and gets 48. You think that's going to get him paid more than 5.25M on a contract with any sort of term?

Maybe, if the Cap goes up. Right now, though, he's a wing with character issues that has established a 30-40 point level of production. Add salary for his toughness. Take away salary for his health, or lack of, and character.

I would think GM's would have owner's looking over their shoulders when they sign their next long FA contracts after the apparent disasters with Ladd, Ericsson, etc..

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
People should back and listen to Tim Murray's recent interview on Kane where he basically says he's playing like the guy I thought I traded for.

Forget what you think his value is, Murray has it is his mind what that value actually is and it's very high. It will be a top defender not just a top 4 guy. You can debate whether he's right but if you listen to the interview on WGR you get a pretty good picture of where his mind is.

Sure it can change. A criminal charge or Kane let's it be known he wants eight years x 7.5 million or something crazy.

But this guy is likely only moving for top value. I'm not saying I agree but I think it's the reality.

Sure Murray is going to ask for the moon, but he's not going to get it. No team is trading a "top defender" for a huge question mark in the character column.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Sure Murray is going to ask for the moon, but he's not going to get it. No team is trading a "top defender" for a huge question mark in the character column.

And to repeat for the 50th time in this thread, no problem. Happy to keep Kane.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The Sabres currently allocate more than $16m to their bottom-6 wings:

Moulson ($5m)
Ennis ($4.6m)
Gionta ($4.25m)
Foligno ($2.25m)

The Sabres have a cavalcade of young wingers on ELC's (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Nylander) who'll be taking full-time roster spots over the next year or so. They also have solid bottom-6 players whose cost will stay depressed due to lack of offensive numbers (Larsson, Girgensons - though one will likely be moved). Heck, even Rodrigues looks like he could be a 4th line staple. Kane can be fit in the overall salary structure.

I also disagree with the premise that the defense can't be improved without moving Kane or Reinhart, or that their next contracts somehow foreclose the possibility of improving the defense. Finding a better allocation for the nearly $10m being paid to Bogo and Kulikov would do wonders on that front.

You make some good points as usual zip.

But I don't see how it is realistically possible to retain both along with everything else that needs to happen - for three main reasons:

If all three are resigned (no debate on eichel needed) I project this to be somewhere between 33m & 35m per on five forwards. This is almost half the entire cap... I just don't see how this can be considered wise spending.

Other players are also going to get raises over their current salary too. One of foligno, Girg or larsson will be gone as you say - maybe even two of them - but they will need replacing. Players rarely sign for less than they previously did. This also applies to the guys on elc.

I see the need for another two 'top 4' d on this team. To get the quality of player we need is likely costing a lot of salary. Of course theses need to be the 'right' players but I'm pencilling in roughly 5m per each. I see this as an investment since successful teams are built from the back.

Going back to my point above - McCabe will also get a huge rise if his development continues. I even think we need to consider lehner for a decent raise. - I don't agree with investing salary +term in net but he is TM's guy & he paid a lot to get him in the first place.

Tim did a great job with the Risto contract but we will be lucky for him to repeat that time & time again.

The cap may also shoot up in the coming years - I'm no expert but everything I have read suggests it won't.

Based on this I think it would be irresponsible to invest so much money & term in five forwards - three of which are wingers.

I think Sabres fans also need to get real regarding our bad contracts. No team is going to do us a favour three times over. Maybe Bogo can stay healthy & find some consistency but his contract looks bad whichever way you slice it right now. Ennis & Moulson may be even tougher - if we move these guys it will cost assets, salary retention or maybe both.

Finally - Kane's off ice issues are still a 'thing' despite the fact that most other fan bases blow it out if proportion. Like it or not this should be a factor.

All the above plus the Sabres dire need of blueline help suggest to me at least they should be selling high. Not right now but in the offseason & beyond...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00