Value of: Evander Kane

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He is? That's news to us. Not one single issue in the locker room his 2 full years here that he has been a Sabre. Teammates actually have praised him and love having him. People need to stop going off of what he was in Winnipeg. And it's quite clear that Kane wasn't the only problem there. They got rid of him and they are still a disfunctional underachieving team even though people made it seem he was the root of all their problems.

Not really. It's not even a full million dollar raise. That's actually a good deal considering Okposo, Backes, Lucic, Ladd and Ericsson all got 6 mil per this year and Kane is several years younger then even the youngest one of that group. He said only 25 and will be turning 27 2 months prior to the season of his next deal. That's actually a real good value for us. Kane is a much better value then any of those guys.

No matter how you slice it, 6 x 6.2 is a lot of faith.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not really. It's not even a full million dollar raise. That's actually a good deal considering Okposo, Backes, Lucic, Ladd and Ericsson all got 6 mil per this year and Kane is several years younger then even the youngest one of that group. He said only 25 and will be turning 27 2 months prior to the season of his next deal. That's actually a real good value for us. Kane is a much better value then any of those guys.

Six years is a long time for a guy who gets banged up so often, not to mention the off ice risk. Less term would be much better.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Six years is a long time for a guy who gets banged up so often, not to mention the off ice risk. Less term would be much better.

Yes I'd love to be able to sign him for 3-4 years, but it's just not realistic. He will get 7 years from someone. How often does a player who has averaged 26 goals per 82 games (and has hit 20+ 3 times including the last 2 seasons in a row) hit free agency ? Maybe a couple each year. And then how many of them are 26 years old when free agency starts ? Almost never, I don't even know the last young impact free agent was. If teams give 7 years to forwards who get just as banged up as Kane who are also on the wrong side of 30 then they will give it to a 26 year old turning 27 right before the season starts. A 7/8 year deal would end when Kane is 33/34. So he should still be at least a 20 goal two way winger by the time his deal expires. He won't be in his late 30s like Ladd will be.

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
He is? That's news to us. Not one single issue in the locker room his 2 full years here that he has been a Sabre. Teammates actually have praised him and love having him. People need to stop going off of what he was in Winnipeg. And it's quite clear that Kane wasn't the only problem there. They got rid of him and they are still a disfunctional underachieving team even though people made it seem he was the root of all their problems.

I never said he was the root of all the Jets problems. But he has a horrible reputation in his hometown and for good reason. Unfortunetly I cannot expand on that point due to site rules.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I never said he was the root of all the Jets problems. But he has a horrible reputation in his hometown and for good reason. Unfortunetly I cannot expand on that point due to site rules.

I believe it. We also have a hometown boy named Kane and the stories about him are also not allowed here, and they would shock many, the fact is if he can comparmentalize the off ice issues and keep them where they originated/belong which is off the ice then that's all I care about. Plenty of good NHLers past and present have dark sides/bad rep/horror stories about them, if they keep it away from the rink and perform then I don't care. All I know is that he's one of the best power forwards in the game and there are very few of them in the league. Very few players bring as a complete a game as Kane. Only thing that he doesn't bring is face offs with him being a winger.

He brings it almost every where else. He plays well in his own end, he's one of the most physical players in the league, he can fight and hold his own against almost anyone, he has elite speed he is a top tier forechecker and has had positive possession #s his whole career and he can score 25 goals (almost all of them at ES). And he's only 25. Kane has 6x as many ES goals then PP goals. That right there is worth the money. If a guy is scoring 20+ ES goals a year that's extremely valuable. He's 25, he can literally fit in any team. He can step right into a playoff contender, he can play on a team that is in the mix for a playoff spot/a year away and he's young enough that he can fit in on a rebuilding team who is 2-3 years off. He turns 26 late this summer and will be 26 throughout the whole 2017-2018 NHL season. He has far more value in real life then he does on Hfboards

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Attention all GM'S !!!

Tim Murray is now taking all calls for E. Kane. His phone is charged up. 1-800-buy-kane. If that doesn't work try 1-800-bye-kane.

tim-murray-general-manager-of-the-buffalo-sabres-speaks-on-the-phone-picture-id451369110

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I believe it. We also have a hometown boy named Kane and the stories about him are also not allowed here, and they would shock many, the fact is if he can comparmentalize the off ice issues and keep them where they originated/belong which is off the ice then that's all I care about. Plenty of good NHLers past and present have dark sides/bad rep/horror stories about them, if they keep it away from the rink and perform then I don't care. All I know is that he's one of the best power forwards in the game and there are very few of them in the league. Very few players bring as a complete a game as Kane. Only thing that he doesn't bring is face offs with him being a winger.

He brings it almost every where else. He plays well in his own end, he's one of the most physical players in the league, he can fight and hold his own against almost anyone, he has elite speed he is a top tier forechecker and has had positive possession #s his whole career and he can score 25 goals (almost all of them at ES). And he's only 25. Kane has 6x as many ES goals then PP goals. That right there is worth the money. If a guy is scoring 20+ ES goals a year that's extremely valuable. He's 25, he can literally fit in any team. He can step right into a playoff contender, he can play on a team that is in the mix for a playoff spot/a year away and he's young enough that he can fit in on a rebuilding team who is 2-3 years off. He turns 26 late this summer and will be 26 throughout the whole 2017-2018 NHL season. He has far more value in real life then he does on Hfboards

Yes, I agree with all of this.
But Evander Kane, as good as you have posted, isn't the linchpin to a cup run. How do we know this? Because he hasn't been his entire career.

If you can fill an impact need like D by moving him, GMTM does it and doesn't look back. Marty Biron was on the instigators and dropped a heavy piece of info he's hearing that Kane is not a part of the long term plans in Buffalo. I believe him.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
How is lehner doing for you? I think a big trade between Pitt and Buff could help out both teams. But if Buff is set with lehner then it's an obvious no

MAF+Pouliot+Sprong+Fehr(cap)+1st

For

Kane+Kulikov+Lehner

Pens solve the Murray situation, wing/D replacement for our mass amounts of injuries right now

Buff gets good futures and a good goalie

Sabes don't need a goalie at all. Lehner is #4 in the NHL in save percentage. He has been fantastic, and he's still super young (24 or 25).
Plus we have Linus Ullmark in Rochester who looks to have NHL potential for sure, and was very good for the Sabres last season when Lehner was hurt.
And we have Cal Peterson to sign at the end of the college season. He has been great in his Notre Dame career. I think he might be our next Ryan Miller. He definitely looks like an NHL goalie to be.
Anders Nilsson has been a darn good backup for us this season, too.

Unless Buffalo could have some 3 way deal worked out where they flip Fleury for a ton, I'd have zero interest in this deal. Goaltending is the absolute last thing Buffalo needs right now.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
LMAO only buffalo fans are saying its a fair offer

That's ok we wouldn't expect people who haven't seen Kane play since he left Winnipeg to totally diss one of the leagues best power forwards. 20 goals in the last 35 games for Kane. He broke his ribs game 1 and came back far too early and didn't score until his 13th game. He has 40 goals in his 112 games as a Sabre...a 29 goal pace. Oh and among players since 2011 who average more hits per game then Kane only Ovechkin has a higher goals per game average. Kane is one of the best power forwards in the entire league. And there aren't many to begin with. So as people who haven't seen Kane play in 2 years go off of hearsay and reports from when he was a Jet slander and diss one of the best LWs in the game Buffalo laughs and will gladly keep Kane. Since Kane came into the league he's 12th in goal scoring among all LWs and 6th in even strength goals. Add in his forechecking,physicality, toughness, possession #s and PK ability and Kane is in the upper half of LW1s. And he's an 8 year vet with almost 500 career games played at the ripe age of 25.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
People need to stop going off of what he was in Winnipeg. And it's quite clear that Kane wasn't the only problem there. They got rid of him and they are still a disfunctional underachieving team even though people made it seem he was the root of all their problems.

I don't think Kane got a fair shake in the Winnipeg media, but if he was tossed out of that room it's either on him or the whole rest of the team rat was seemingly happy to see him go.

Other than their record with lousy goaltending and a tonne of injuries, what are you basing this supposed disfunction on?

I assume you're just pulling it out of your ass, but if you can provide some support of love to see it.

What problems, anyway? Teams filled with rookies lose a lot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If I'm Buffalo, I'm trying to sell high on him before he potentially does some other stupid thing that brings his rep and future in the league into question.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If I'm Buffalo, I'm trying to sell high on him before he potentially does some other stupid thing that brings his rep and future in the league into question.

Are you talking about him or his brother in Chicago?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
While I wouldn't mind seeing Kane in a Pens uni I don't want to give up what it would cost to possibly get him. Kane is a players who fills the state sheet in all categories and is a ***** to play against.

I know we are in win now mode and wouldn't mind giving up some picks but I don't want to see sprong go in the process which would most likely need to be in the equation

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
While I wouldn't mind seeing Kane in a Pens uni I don't want to give up what it would cost to possibly get him. Kane is a players who fills the state sheet in all categories and is a ***** to play against.

I know we are in win now mode and wouldn't mind giving up some picks but I don't want to see sprong go in the process which would most likely need to be in the equation

We have no need for Sprong. I'd doubt his name would even enter the conversation from Buffalo's end. If Kane is moved it's for help on the blueline.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
One poster who loves to write multi paragraphs who tries to pump up Kane to exaggerated proportions does not speak for other level headed Sabres fans.

That same poster slammed and slammed and slammed Kane and the trade for the majority of the time since the transaction. But now, because um ... pointzzz he's entering almost untouchable territory. :biglaugh:

TM will gladly take offers from 29 teams. But the offer has to be fair. Reclaimation projects or quantity doesn't equal quality.
Will the offer hurt? It should, because losing Kane will hurt too.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Trading him just doesn't make sense. With is his contract term running out the Sabres won't get fair value. The Sabres needs is a top 4 dman. But no playof contender is giving up a top 4dman before their playoff run. I just don't see how it would work.

All the nonsense about his reputation isn't a factor. Teams are well aware of the value of a goal scoring true power forward. It's the term that makes him more valuable to buffalo than trading him

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
One poster who loves to write multi paragraphs who tries to pump up Kane to exaggerated proportions does not speak for other level headed Sabres fans.

That same poster slammed and slammed and slammed Kane and the trade for the majority of the time since the transaction. But now, because um ... pointzzz he's entering almost untouchable territory. :biglaugh:

TM will gladly take offers from 29 teams. But the offer has to be fair. Reclaimation projects or quantity doesn't equal quality.
Will the offer hurt? It should, because losing Kane will hurt too.

What are the sabres looking for in terms of D and goalies?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad