TSN: Evander Kane Trade may include prospects instead of picks.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Funnier yet would be Botteril sticking to the same unreal expectations & finding no buyers.
@ the last minute dropping the price & teams saying they weren't interested anymore.
Kane remains a Sabre & since not even qualified walks for nothing.

Because Botterill is known for being inflexible and nonadaptive in all of his business dealings?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Splitting up Kane & Eichel crushed Kane's value, that's about when he started on this massive cold streak, which of course is no coincidence.

Kane can play in the top-6 and produce if he's playing with a superstar C (Dallas, Pitt, LA seem like good fits to me), but he's not diverse enough to be the best offensive player on his line.

I would love to see Kane in the playoffs though... his playing style is suited well for it. Great speed and is extremely physical. He loves to mix it up and he forces D men to keep their head on a swivel with his forechecking. Creates turnovers. But he's just not offensively gifted enough to do something with them... he needs someone to either set him up, or draw attention away from him, then if given opportunities, he will bury.

Any logical Buffalo fan knew a 1st for him as a rental would've been a steal... I really thought we were going to pull it off at the November/December point of the season, Kane was on pace for a 40 goal year (somebody would've taken the bait and paid a late 1st for a guy who has 30 goals at this date in the season today, right? b/c that's the pace he was on.)

Then we moved him off Eichel wing, he entered into this drought that has just dragged on and on, and here we are. I think team's are now reluctant to even give up a 2nd for him... most teams would probably rather give a 4th for someone like Pouliot.
GM's looking to acquire a talent like Kane wouldn't look at that, if they are acquiring Kane they see what he could do with a good center (Eichel) and they would try and build him into their line-up around one of their centers. If a team was looking at Kane to drive a line than he would lose his value but his value to other teams is the potential he brings (40 goals) with a good center and you will pay for that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
GM's looking to acquire a talent like Kane wouldn't look at that, if they are acquiring Kane they see what he could do with a good center (Eichel) and they would try and build him into their line-up around one of their centers. If a team was looking at Kane to drive a line than he would lose his value but his value to other teams is the potential he brings (40 goals) with a good center and you will pay for that.
I thought Sabres fans have said that Kane does not work well with others in that he is better off being on the 3rd line creating by himself?

Reactions: 204hockey

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I thought Sabres fans have said that Kane does not work well with others in that he is better off being on the 3rd line creating by himself?

He can work well with others if those others don't require significant time on the puck aka most skilled players. I'd run him like a horse with the 3rd and 4th line, dominant 5v5 time. He's too stupid to be set up on the cycle with talented players.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Kane is so overrated. He’s selfish, poisonous to a locker room and has 5 points in his last 23 games since the new year. Not surprised that GMs aren’t falling over top of each other to acquire him.

Reactions: Leafin

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Kane is so overrated. He’s selfish, poisonous to a locker room and has 5 points in his last 23 games since the new year. Not surprised that GMs aren’t falling over top of each other to acquire him.

Couldn’t agree with you more. I am not sure they end up with much of anything at this point. I also wonder what this guys next contract is going to look like. Not helping himself out much.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
And a 1st? You meant centered around a 1st plus one of your mid-twenties can't stick with the big club guys, right?

No, I don’t, because the Kings are not giving up their first round pick this year. No interest, no problem. Just a question. Kings will pass.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Botts isn't known for anything. He is a rookie GM

He did do alot and had a decent say on issues when Shero was let go by the Pens, and JR was just getting familiar with the organization.

Seemed fairly good at asset management and the cap from what certain local media types said.

I guess we will see, now that he's got full reigns.

member 290103

Benning will be all over this guy in July. He wants to acquire guys that are good in the room and hard to play against. He has Erik Gudbranson, so half of that is covered off. He'll get the other half in Kane. In total, for some $12M per year, he'll have obtained the perfect player, just spread across two players in total.

Reactions: jetsforever

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
For all his faults Kane could be a really strong playoff addition.

Everyone embroiders a bit or more, but Paul Maurice said Kane was as good a player in on the fore check that he has ever seen. He is very strong at zone entries, a fast strong skater and a good penalty killer as well.

Add his scoring and the physical play he can provide and he could be a real difference for a playoff team in those long ongoing series.

Problem is how much do you pay for him and how is the fit for the room. Saying that I think if the right team adds him he will make a noticeable contribution for them.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
In the right situation he could be a star again. Problem is that he can't be counted on as "the guy" and is likely going to be paid like it.

If he goes to a team that has a strong leadership core (nashville, Pittsburgh, San Jose, LA) i think he'd be fine. I fully expect him to get overpaid by Benning in the offseason though and continue his underwhelming ways.

I think teams are interested in Kane but more than likely not at the cost Buffalo fans would like. I think Buffalo will be better off once they ship him out.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So where the heck is he going

It's been quiet on the Kane front

LAK got their guy, PIT got their guy, definitely not a fit in Tampa

Philly, LA, Washington?

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Funnier yet would be Botteril sticking to the same unreal expectations & finding no buyers.
@ the last minute dropping the price & teams saying they weren't interested anymore.
Kane remains a Sabre & since not even qualified walks for nothing.

When you start at ridiculous I'm not even talking to you. If you start at fair market value I might end up giving you more than you ask bc I'm desperate. If you're unrealistic, how I am supposed to talk to an unrealistic and delusional man? [Insert tears] as is life of a rookie GM

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
So where the heck is he going

It's been quiet on the Kane front

LAK got their guy, PIT got their guy, definitely not a fit in Tampa

Philly, LA, Washington?

I'd trade for Kane in Pittsburgh. If he wants prospects and NHL players...

Evander Kane (40% retained) for Conor Sheary, prospect, 2019 1st, 2018 3rd (via OTT) conditional if he resigns

Prospect is your choice of Daniel Sprong, Tristan Jarry, or Zach Aston-Reese

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'd trade for Kane in Pittsburgh. If he wants prospects and NHL players...

Evander Kane (40% retained) for Conor Sheary, prospect, 2019 1st, 2018 3rd (via OTT) conditional if he resigns

Prospect is your choice of Daniel Sprong, Tristan Jarry, or Zach Aston-Reese

I don't think Rutherford agrees with you.

That's a lot.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

He has way more baggage than it is worth.

Reactions: qwerty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad