TSN: Evander Kane Trade may include prospects instead of picks.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Does this mean nobody is willing to give up their 1st for him?

I still remember the "ask" for him, I bet Buffalo fans are disappointed with the return.
Would much rather have NHL ready prospects than picks. Still would think a conditional pick would be involved dependent on him re-signing.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I still remember the "ask" for him, I bet Buffalo fans are disappointed with the return.
Hardly any of us expects a 1st round pick the way the market has turned. Too many sellers and way too many good non-rentals
available.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think it goes to show how little appetite there is across the League in dropping 1sts for rentals this year. Deep draft and a huge youth movement surely play a role. The last hour before the deadline should be interesting to say the least. I have a hunch the prices will fall at the 11th hour.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Thread title is misleading.

Dreger said there's some offers Botteril might consider but so far they involve players and not the picks and top prospects he wants.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hardly any of us expects a 1st round pick the way the market has turned. Too many sellers and way too many good non-rentals
available.
With the parity in the NHL, like 5 points separate the top 4 in central, you really are risking a lot if you pay the price that botterill was seeking earlier.

Even if Nash or still add that extra forward does it really increase their odds that much more over the other teams in the central that they have to go through?

If you go big, get the big fish. Save your assets for that.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Too many sellers this year. Doesn't help AT ALL that Kane is on an epic cold streak (5 points in 22 games since New Years)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Side note: today both Hextall and Tallon were interviewed and side the asking prices around the league are high.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Insider Trading: Any Karlsson deal may need to include Ryan's contract

Mentioned that players might be coming back, not picks in this case.

Getting a 1st isnt as a big of a deal if they get decent prospects.

Ideally they get a player who doesn't start their ELC till next year thus exempt in 2020 expansion draft.

If I was acquiring a Dman I'd rather get someone closer to impact the nhl. A 2018 pick..the earliest is 22/23 before you see them at the nhl level.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Getting a 1st isnt as a big of a deal if they get decent prospects.

Ideally they get a player who doesn't start their ELC till next year thus exempt in 2020 expansion draft.

If I was acquiring a Dman I'd rather get someone closer to impact the nhl. A 2018 pick..the earliest is 22/23 before you see them at the nhl level.

I'd rather have 1 good prospect that looks like he could step in then a late 1st anyways. If we were talking lottery picks then yeah if rather take the pick, but the teams buying aren't getting top 10 talent, they're taking guys who will need a couple years to develop. This seems like a pretty good move if I were GM, depending on the players of course.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
There's cheaper options out there for teams as well, Vanek's statline for instance is similar, if not better than Kane's when taking TOI into account, and as a Vancouver fan I can say for sure, a late 1st would be a homerun, but I'd be happy with a 2nd.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
There's cheaper options out there for teams as well, Vanek's statline for instance is better than Kane's when taking TOI into account, and as a Vancouver fan I can say for sure, a late 1st would be a homerun, but I'd be happy with a 2nd.
I'd assume there will be teams that will be fine turning to the lesser player for a discounted price, some teams will want the better player and will pay more. The oversaturation of the market could definitely put a dent in the return all the sellers get at the deadline this year.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I'd assume there will be teams that will be fine turning to the lesser player for a discounted price, some teams will want the better player and will pay more. The oversaturation of the market could definitely put a dent in the return all the sellers get at the deadline this year.

It's really quite hilarious how the Canucks have ended up in down markets when they need up markets the most. Schneider trade for example was a down goalie market, this years deadline. Last years deadline seemed a bit of a down market as well, JB was good to get what he did, hopefully he can work some magic again this year. Anyways, I'm OT, my apologies.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Once Rick Nash goes to Nashville, which I expect will get consummated in the next couple of days, I expect the price of Kane to get ratcheted up and I think we'll see Evander end up landing in Boston with a package revolving around Brandon Carlo.

Reactions: egelband

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
There's cheaper options out there for teams as well, Vanek's statline for instance is similar, if not better than Kane's when taking TOI into account, and as a Vancouver fan I can say for sure, a late 1st would be a homerun, but I'd be happy with a 2nd.

Vanek is not a Kane comparable, though. They play wildly different games. They're both pending UFAs who produce a decent number of goals, but those are the only 2 things they have in common, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad