TSN: Evander Kane Trade may include prospects instead of picks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Such a simplistic way of viewing things

I didn't use the term difference maker someone else did. What difference has he made? Ok fine, he can't fix goaltending or the D... but the team has struggled to score with him. You can say he's not at fault for everything and I'd agree but you can't say he's a difference maker if he actually inarguably has made no difference.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
When a team that can't score doesn't want a guy but tries selling him as a scorer... that kinda tells you something.
Yea, it tells you Botterill has assessed the entire situation with his team and has come to the conclusion the money Kane will want to re-sign can be better spent fill8ng the multiple holes elsewhere on the roster.

So many of you are so 1 dimensional, I've noticed especially fans fortunate enough to have long term all world class players. The fortunes of your organizations has skewed your view of many other clubs, and it more than shows imho.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yea, it tells you Botterill has assessed the entire situation with his team and has come to the conclusion the money Kane will want to re-sign can be better spent fill8ng the multiple holes elsewhere on the roster.

So many of you are so 1 dimensional, I've noticed especially fans fortunate enough to have long term all world class players. The fortunes of your organizations has skewed your view of many other clubs, and it more than shows imho.

The flaw in your 1st paragraph imo is that you are acting like it has always been 2/24/18. It hasn't. The team could have resigned Kane in July or August or September or October when they thought that they'd just addressed those holes on D (I can recall many a Sabres fan talking about how vastly improved the D was with Scandella and Beulieu arriving and Gorges/Franson gone.. plus they were saying Eichel would be there for a full year and Reinhart would buust out, etc etc). So at that point why wouldn't the GM have wanted to go ahead and re-up this awesome scoring difference maker?

A couple of possibilities:
1) He didn't think he was that good and so wasn't in the long term plans
2) He tried and Kane didn't want to do it

Nothing Botterill could do about the 2nd but from every quote I've read from him on the subject (and some quotes from kane saying he'd be interested in staying) it sounds like Kane was never in the GM's plans... even when he thought some of those multiple holes had been filled.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

thats true everywhere yahtzee, what it comes down to is a combination of both, teams being afraid of his past idiosyncracies rearing their ugly head, and the fact that his play fell off. Ive no doubt if that hadnt happened he'd have gotten a 1st,and possibly more but Botterill is also smart enough to get what he can while he can. resigning him carries risks that Botterill wanted no part of, he's building a team and he wants to do it the right way. ie no distractions

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
thats true everywhere yahtzee, what it comes down to is a combination of both, teams being afraid of his past idiosyncracies rearing their ugly head, and the fact that his play fell off. Ive no doubt if that hadnt happened he'd have gotten a 1st,and possibly more but Botterill is also smart enough to get what he can while he can. resigning him carries risks that Botterill wanted no part of, he's building a team and he wants to do it the right way. ie no distractions
I tend to agree. But as has been pointed out, Kane's value is his strong suits. 5v5 scoring, a hard charging power forward only 26 yrs old, his ability to handle special teams play and his physical play.
Someone will pay for a playoff run with that. He won't be with the team long enough to affect culture. Imo.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I tend to agree. But as has been pointed out, Kane's value is his strong suits. 5v5 scoring, a hard charging power forward only 26 yrs old, his ability to handle special teams play and his physical play.
Someone will pay for a playoff run with that. He won't be with the team long enough to affect culture. Imo.

I agree with that too, but fear is fear, its irrational, even if youre 100% correct on your belief, a GM has to account for it. any GM who trades for any player and doesnt ask "will he fit in my Locker room" in my opinion is a fool. some players are just more of a risk.

I think Botterill is just being pragmatic. "get what I can while I can, ive got more important business to attend to" I think its a very promising outlook to have

for example I dont see a problem if lets say botterill was considering a trade for Mike Green (not involved with kane at all. just as an example) and Botts said how will he interact with risto, will he help or hurt his development? will his being a veteran voice , make eichel less comfortable to become the leader i want him to become? those questions are prudent logical considerations

Last edited:
Reactions: Yatzhee

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I'm confident whoever ends up with Kane is not gonna be disappointed. He's a difference maker in my mind.

Funny most Buffalo fans felt this way before they traded for him. Not so much any more. Winnipeg sure wasn't disappointed with the result of that trade.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Funny most Buffalo fans felt this way before they traded for him. Not so much any more. Winnipeg sure wasn't disappointed with the result of that trade.
not being in buffalo i cant say, but from the sabre fans I talk regularly to, I dont think they minded Kane all that much, I do think they were more than a little peeved at Bogosian however, they like me, expected more from him. and he just didnt stay healthy

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
not being in buffalo i cant say, but from the sabre fans I talk regularly to, I dont think they minded Kane all that much, I do think they were more than a little peeved at Bogosian however, they like me, expected more from him. and he just didnt stay healthy
Yea, Bogo, even when healthy, was less than impressive to date.
We still have 3 seasons with him, and he is in his prime, but 5+ million aav, I expect at least a 2nd pairing solid d man. So far, our college UFA signing from a couple yrs ago, Casey Nelson, has looked really good in this most recent call up stint. But still, so many holes to fill.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, Bogo, even when healthy, was less than impressive to date.
We still have 3 seasons with him, and he is in his prime, but 5+ million aav, I expect at least a 2nd pairing solid d man. So far, our college UFA signing from a couple yrs ago, Casey Nelson, has looked really good in this most recent call up stint. But still, so many holes to fill.
As I told you before, I absolutely loved Bogo when he first came up, I thought hed be a 10 time All Star, but it wasnt to be. I like how Botterill goes about his business, he reminds me of some Ceo's ive Known, always prepared willing to adapt on the fly, not so stubborn that he's unwilling to consider other ideas. I think your in good hands, as long as Terry Pegula realizes his job is to sign checks and not interfere you guys should be fine. the problems start when people who are in charge, think the know stuff they arent qualified for

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Could see klimchuk and Fox being the pieces if ever it happened. Flames wont be giving up any other picks.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
The flaw in your 1st paragraph imo is that you are acting like it has always been 2/24/18. It hasn't. The team could have resigned Kane in July or August or September or October when they thought that they'd just addressed those holes on D (I can recall many a Sabres fan talking about how vastly improved the D was with Scandella and Beulieu arriving and Gorges/Franson gone.. plus they were saying Eichel would be there for a full year and Reinhart would buust out, etc etc). So at that point why wouldn't the GM have wanted to go ahead and re-up this awesome scoring difference maker?

A couple of possibilities:
1) He didn't think he was that good and so wasn't in the long term plans
2) He tried and Kane didn't want to do it

Nothing Botterill could do about the 2nd but from every quote I've read from him on the subject (and some quotes from kane saying he'd be interested in staying) it sounds like Kane was never in the GM's plans... even when he thought some of those multiple holes had been filled.

Look at the money the Sabres already have committed up front: $10 million cap hit to Eichel next year and beyond, $7.5 million to O'Reilly, $6 million to Okposo, and they'll have to lock up Reinhart. They've already chosen who they're committing big money to up front, and there honestly isn't room for $6 million+ for Kane with the money they've already committed (this isn't even taking into account Moulson's $5 million cap hit and Pominville's $5.6 million cap hit in 2018-19). That grim reality doesn't mean that Kane isn't a big difference maker.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I'm probably Kane's biggest critic..... but man that deal stinks for BUFF. Like all time rotten egg stuck in a high school gym locker with a used diaper... that kinda stink.

You will be lucky to get a 2nd and a cap dump for him.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Vanek is not a Kane comparable, though. They play wildly different games. They're both pending UFAs who produce a decent number of goals, but those are the only 2 things they have in common, really.

There is no way Benning trades Vanek, not even if he's offered a 1st

Benning thinks he will take us to the ....(drum roll) PLAYOFFS!!!!!!

Benning's F.A signings are his babies, he always seems genuinely shocked when someone suggest they might be traded.

His demeanor screams "Jeez wizz, I've got Vanek, Gagner, Gudbransson, Del Zotto these guys are real players, why would anybody trade them? This our leadership group, we need them for the PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!"

member 290103

Lots of talk that the Canucks are late to the game here. Word out there is that Goldobin and a 3rd have been put on the table. Could form structure of deal to come soon.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Can we pick a thread and stick with it? There doesn't need to be three Kane threads going that serve the same purpose.

Lots of talk that the Canucks are late to the game here. Word out there is that Goldobin and a 3rd have been put on the table. Could form structure of deal to come soon.

I like Goldy, but him and a third is not going to get you Kane. If Vancouver wants Kane, they're better off waiting and going after him in free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad