Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It's time (arguably overdue):

giphy.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
he will get more practicing with NHL players than he will practicing with AHL/ECHL level players.

I’m sure once Bakersfield’s regular season starts he’ll be on the top pairing if he’s not playing for the Oilers.
If he goes to Bakersfield it pretty much means he isnt playing for the big club after that.

The quarantine restrictions will all but prevent that.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Sit Larsson and play Bouchard you cowards.

We need D men who can pass the puck on the breakout in the worst way.

Can't healthy scratch him but they could convince him his back could use a couple games off. It sure looks like it could.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would have been in the group that says keep him away from this train wreck until next year, while he continues to hone his skills. But after seeing the first 6 games of the season, I'm not sure how he can possibly be worse than Bear, Larrson, or Jones. If we flounder against the Jets, give the kid a chance.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would have been in the group that says keep him away from this train wreck until next year, while he continues to hone his skills. But after seeing the first 6 games of the season, I'm not sure how he can possibly be worse than Bear, Larrson, or Jones. If we flounder against the Jets, give the kid a chance.
One of those names is not like the others.

Bear has actually been playing fairly well while also playing large minutes, the other two, not so much.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I mean people could have said the same thing about Yamamoto last year in December also, and look how that turned out.

If he stepped in and at the very least helped our PP get back on track we could very well see the season saved again with just another call up.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
21 1/2 and barely touched the lineup?
Is he the next juolevi? Or do you guys actually expect him to be a good NHL'er?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I definitely expect him to be a good NHLer. He deserves his chance right now and had we not signed Barrie, IMO he would've gotten it. If he doesn't get his chance this season, then next season he should be on the team in a 3rd pairing role at minimum.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Oilers aren't rushing Bouchard. It's easy to see even in the AHL - his passing/vision and wrist shot are elite - but his intensity in his own zone is low.

Oilers didn't rush Klefbom and Petry... but did rush Nurse. I feel Bouchard shoved into the lineup would be like the Canucks rushing Joulevi + Hoglander.

Teams like the Isles and Devils have fewer D prospects than the Oilers so they have roster spots. I think Lagesson is BETTER than Bouchard right now and deserves to be in the NHL. Oilers basically lost John Marino because of the prospect depth... which I think Holland needs to rectify. He needs to trade a D for a forward prospect.

Reactions: Aerchon

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oilers aren't rushing Bouchard. It's easy to see even in the AHL - his passing/vision and wrist shot are elite - but his intensity in his own zone is low.

Oilers didn't rush Klefbom and Petry... but did rush Nurse. I feel Bouchard shoved into the lineup would be like the Canucks rushing Joulevi + Hoglander.

Teams like the Isles and Devils have fewer D prospects than the Oilers so they have roster spots. I think Lagesson is BETTER than Bouchard right now and deserves to be in the NHL. Oilers basically lost John Marino because of the prospect depth... which I think Holland needs to rectify. He needs to trade a D for a forward prospect.
Nurse is top 4. How did we rush him?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Hmmmm, maybe we shouldn't be that worried about Bouchard's defensive play after all. Larsson has been getting cratered these last 2 years. Could trying Bouch be that much worse?

We so badly need more D that can actually pass to skating teammates.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
He could have spent another year in the AHL working on his offense on the PP. I felt the Oilers stunted his offensively potential. His first year in the NHL was also pretty brutal.
I agree.

I think when Dmen get rushed in too early, they develop bad 'safe' habits, like bank it off the glass and out, rather than look up for an outlet, or know when to skate it up, or dump it out of the zone.

Miscues, or misreads will cause them to be benched and scratched, while being instructed to always make the 'safe' play.

Nurse was an incredibly dynamic skater that could have become more of an offensive force, but learned to play 'dumb & safe' hockey to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: voxel

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Hmmmm, maybe we shouldn't be that worried about Bouchard's defensive play after all. Larsson has been getting cratered these last 2 years. Could trying Bouch be that much worse?

We so badly need more D that can actually pass to skating teammates.

Wow, it looks like nurse actually is a very good player, same with bear

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
With Barrie's PP struggles, I would like to see Bouchard in for the next game.

If that's not going to be the case, send him to Bakersfield.

Reactions: voxel

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
With Barrie's PP struggles, I would like to see Bouchard in for the next game.

If that's not going to be the case, send him to Bakersfield.

Yeah, if you are trying Nurse on the PP over Barrie, and Barrie isn't doing so great at evens.... why is Barrie in the lineup over Bouchard then? Our PP, which was arguably the greatest PP in NHL history last year, is *25th* in the league right now. It almost literally can't get much worse, so what are we losing by playing Bouchard as a 7th dman and giving him PP time and the odd shift? I realize Tippet is kinda dumb when it comes to lineups, but this is likely even obvious enough for him to pick up on.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Why do we need to play Bouch as the 7th d man?

Larsson has been train wrecks in the defensive end and brings nothing for offence or transition, even if Bouchard struggles defensively and can move the puck thats still an upgrade

Reactions: snipes

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Larsson has been train wrecks in the defensive end and brings nothing for offence or transition, even if Bouchard struggles defensively and can move the puck thats still an upgrade

We *don't*, but it would allow the coach to get a feel for how Bouch looks at evens for a few games before deciding whether he wants him there in the regular rotation. Having him play 7th dman gives Tippet the chance to play Bouch for 3-5 shifts at evens in a couple games, and see how Bouch does. If he plays poorly, then it likely doesn't affect the team, as Tippet can just go back to his normal pairings. If he does well, then all that has happened is that some 4th line winger who only plays 6-8 mins a night anyhow gets replaced by RNH/Yams/whomever for a few shifts. It costs us essentially nothing and gives the coach better options moving forward.

It really makes a LOT of sense to do this with Bouch, given all the scenarios available to us. His age, his position, how the team is doing, his specialty (PPs), etc etc. It's somewhat baffling that this hasn't happened already actually.

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Did you even notice that Ennis was playing last night aside from when banged his stick after a play was whistled down ?

Playing 7D and 1 less forward may require smarter bench managing by coaches but would be beneficial.

Bouchard wouldnt have to be the designated #7 Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad