Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ty Smith and Noah Dobson starting to pile up minutes and points.

Makes you wonder about Bouchard, like what is our plan for him? Back to Bakersfield? As long as Barrie is here, he won't play.

Reactions: dawunderboy

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Nothing to wonder about, when he gets an opportunity he has to make the most of it. That's what Bear did last year. Bouchard will get a chance at some point.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Makes you wonder about Bouchard, like what is our plan for him? Back to Bakersfield? As long as Barrie is here, he won't play.

He needs to play so Bakersfield. Barrie is blocking him along with the fact we have Bear/Jones/Lagesson and extras like Russell/SKK above him (requiring waivers, etc).

I like how we aren't forcing young players into the lineup. It's too bad we lost Klefbom though.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Not yet. Maybe wait a couple more games?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not yet. Maybe wait a couple more games?

I think the only thing that gets Bouchard into the lineup is if Barrie isn't playing. When they didn't play Bouchard after taking Bear out, and chose to play 4K on his off-side before playing Bouchard, well....

Once (if?) the AHL season starts, I think it would be best for Bouchard to get sent down and get some playing time in. Practicing against NHL players has its benefits, don't get me wrong, but I think actual game action still counts for more.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think the only thing that gets Bouchard into the lineup is if Barrie isn't playing. When they didn't play Bouchard after taking Bear out, and chose to play 4K on his off-side before playing Bouchard, well....

Once (if?) the AHL season starts, I think it would be best for Bouchard to get sent down and get some playing time in. Practicing against NHL players has its benefits, don't get me wrong, but I think actual game action still counts for more.

I wonder if we may see a trade of one of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart? Maybe Jones for instance? He played a lot mind you it was against less than great competition, but he still should've been in game shape at camp. IMO we should start to get him some games in to see where he's at. Unless Barrie finds another gear, IMO he might be 1 and done with us, it's too early to say that but that maybe how it plays out.

Reactions: subnet

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder if we may see a trade of one of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart? Maybe Jones for instance? He played a lot mind you it was against less than great competition, but he still should've been in game shape at camp. IMO we should start to get him some games in to see where he's at.

I'm not sure what the Oil could get for Jones but fully agree that Bouchard should see some ice time with the big club.

If Barrie and Larsson are not signed in the off-season (I can't see both of them coming back at their current price) then the Oil will have to look at some younger guys anyway.

Hopefully both Bouchard and Samorukov will see the Oiler ice surface before the abbreviated season is over. The odds are that someone will move out of the lineup due to injury.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Petry became a regular 4 years after draft and Nurse 2 years after the draft (which is where Bouchard is now). I feel we sort of rushed Nurse. I'm absolutely against forcing Bouchard into the lineup. He has defensive warts and playing in the NHL won't help.

Reactions: Anarchism

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Petry became a regular 4 years after draft and Nurse 2 years after the draft (which is where Bouchard is now). I feel we sort of rushed Nurse. I'm absolutely against forcing Bouchard into the lineup. He has defensive warts and playing in the NHL won't help.
Ty Smith wasnt looking real solid defensively the little i caught from his game last week. He did get a point though.

If Bouchard was playing in AHL then it would be one thing but I would rather have him play and struggle a bit in NHL than be on the taxi squad.

Maybe go with 7 D and 11F

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Eh I’m not worried about Bouchard.

The COVID taxi squad thing really complicated things for him. He was only gonna be on the roster if he made the team out of camp which is a tough ask, especially in a 56 game season. He needed to convince not only that he’s better than Jones, Larsson et al but also that he’s worth risking another player passing through waivers.

The deck is unfortunately stacked against him, but hey if our D shits the bed enough anything can happen.

Next year is perfect, a spot is almost guaranteed to open up after the expansion draft. Be patient, he’ll put up massive numbers after getting help from Barrie and the rest of the group.

Reactions: nabob and MessierII

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I should clarify I'm not worried about him - just I don't see the point of having him sitting on the taxi squad rotting if he's clearly not going to play.

Bakersfield seems to make the most sense at this point.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I should clarify I'm not worried about him - just I don't see the point of having him sitting on the taxi squad rotting if he's clearly not going to play.

Bakersfield hasn’t opened yet. Getting practice time with team and systems never a bad thing.

Reactions: nabob

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Bakersfield hasn’t opened yet. Getting practice time with team and systems never a bad thing.

Their camp opens on Monday, season is February 5 - I'm sure he doesn't have to be in their camp but just something to note that it's coming.

Obviously, an injury to the right side would maybe change things but now Koekkoek + Russell both playing their offside seems to be preferred, hence why I bring up what exactly to do with him. We don't have another D-man aside from Bouchard on the taxi squad, so I wonder if they want to go another route, but I think there's legit debate between Bakersfield or taxi squad for him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Does Bakersfield even have ice yet? I don’t think they do.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I mean not necessarily... the context of those moves includes two butt-whippings from the Habs... so you can see why it was vet Russell and the relatively safe Lagesson that drew in.

Bouchard's chance will come if offense or puck movement/breakout from the back end is considered to be missing from our game.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He's played enough hockey. AHL literally won't do jack sh** for him anymore. His next step should be the NHL.
Plenty of guys he can replace on this current dcore b/c they all have been 100% garbage outside of KooKoo

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they'll give Lagesson another look or two and if he doesn't do well they'll waive him and bring Bouchard up.

I know Tippett likes that he plays a more solid defensive style, but you have Russell as a #6/7 that can do the same and who they trust more.

Don't foresee them having too many games where they will need to dress Russell, Lagesson and Larsson anyway.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes! It's not like when a player is scratched that they are locked in the press box all day like it is their cell

Its valuable to have him here, and he'll get some nhl play time I'm sure

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think their camp opens today.

If we're not going to play Bouchard, he should be there.

he will get more practicing with NHL players than he will practicing with AHL/ECHL level players.

I’m sure once Bakersfield’s regular season starts he’ll be on the top pairing if he’s not playing for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad