Player Discussion Evan Bouchard: One for the Money, Two for the Bouch

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Restarting the discussion on EB due to this coming across my timeline.

According to this he’s the #2 ranked defensive prospect in the league. Pretty exciting no?

I’m excited for what he can bring next year!

Reactions: AM

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Bouchard will be a great defenseman. His instincts, shot, and especially those stretch passes that he makes are game-breaking.

I'm surprised to see Ty Smith so low. Admittedly, I was unimpressed with Smith before the draft, but he seems to be the D-man making the most strides in his two-way play and overall composure

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bouchard might be a good pick in fantasy because he will likely get a big push next season, and maybe even power play time.

I still prefer professional rankings on players.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He had a pretty solid year on a pretty awful condors team. The way he was trending the last couple months it, had the season not go suspended, it was possible he was going to lead that team in scoring, as a rookie, as a defence man

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bouchard might be a good pick in fantasy because he will likely get a big push next season, and maybe even power play time.

I still prefer professional rankings on players.
"Professional rankers" such as Button would probably have Bocuhard outside of top 20 D prospects.

Reactions: Ryan Washkevich

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He had a pretty solid year on a pretty awful condors team. The way he was trending the last couple months it, had the season not go suspended, it was possible he was going to lead that team in scoring, as a rookie, as a defence man

I think that Currie likely would've outscored him in the end as he was on a tear as well. That said the fact that it was even close speaks to his play after the new year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
"Professional rankers" such as Button would probably have Bocuhard outside of top 20 D prospects.

Button dumped Bouchard behind Broberg some time ago already. In his most recent ranking he has him equal to Samorukov in prospect quality.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cause I have nothing better to do... 10oa seems horribly cursed for defenders for some reason.

18 defenders drafted at 10.
Since 1968... 4/18 have been full time NHLers playing 500 or more games. Joan's Brodin is the only one in the last 30 years.

Also cause it's all I had time for... Since 2005, if a defender was drafted top 10 and is not a full time guy by the end of their draft +3 season, they top out at a 3rd pairing guy if they become an NHLer at all.

All that said I believe Bouchard end up an impact guy next season but just some weird NHL history there.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Happy with this for next year as long as we sign Green as #7. Would be a good mentor for Bouchard and should be fairly cheap. (under 2M)

I agree, I'd have the same guys but re jigged a little. I think you can get Green back short term for under 2M and he would be in my top 6 unless Bouchard really blows the doors off in training camp and takes the spot.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Bouchard
Jones - Larsson

Whenever hockey comes back :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I'd still have Nurse-Bear, Klefbom-Larsson, and Jones-Bouchard/Green. No reason to throw Bouchard straight in the top-4 when Larsson is more than capable in that role.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom Bouchard
Nurse Bear
Jones Larsson
Laggesson Benning

Switch Bouchard and Larsson or even Bear as required. Benning and Laggesson as temp stand ins/injury.

Trade Russell. Toss in a pick if needed even. Free up cap space.

Keep Larsson around for most/all the season if he/team is doing well. With Larsson, Bear, Bouchard, and Benning all fighting for good contracts I only expect 3 of those around for the following season.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The only issue with Bouchard from what I have heard, is work ethic. Guy has the skill to be a #1 but needs to be more committed to the game.

Hopefully he learns from the off season that Bear had.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The only issue with Bouchard from what I have heard, is work ethic. Guy has the skill to be a #1 but needs to be more committed to the game.

Where have you heard that?

From what I've seen, the issue is his intensity in the defensive zone, which isn't the same as work ethic.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Where have you heard that?

From what I've seen, the issue is his intensity in the defensive zone, which isn't the same as work ethic.

I never get to say this, but I have sources on this.

I can also tell you the team views Broberg as a top penalty killer when he arrives and likely 2nd powerplay, and Maxsimov's high penalty count in junior wasn't too big of a concern for the team.

That's all I have for inside info (Mods can ask if they want)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I've heard the opposite.

Works very hard on and off the ice. Very intense win and work type and in the gym a lot.

Slightly below average in the defensive zone. As a comparison still better than Jones at similar points of their careers. As others mentioned needs more urgency. A bit like Schultz in that way although again better from what I've seen/read.

Average skating with a first step that needs work.

Everything that I've read heavily suggest his "problem" areas are the kind that "should" be able to be improved upon, have been improved upon, and he is more than willing to continue to work on.

A guy like Bear has one great offseason and it elevates his game to a legit 3/4 level defender. If Bear can continue with that level of commitment the sky is the limit. Bouchard is significantly better than Bear in many ways. If he works hard and smart with "similar" results to Bear he has a chance to be legit #1 top 10 defender some day... Likely not for many years.

All speculation at this point. Every prospect/player is so different and their development so varied it's impossible to predict.

Carlson is the player that always comes to mind as a comparison for me for some reason. Not sure if it truly a good comparison but it's the one that does. Carlson, similar size, similiar development, similar stats to date, was always good but had his flaws... didn't become elite until 25 and was having a full fledged Norris caliber year this year at age 30. His play this year borderline historical.

I'm not suggesting Bouchard will be that good but it is a possibility. Far more reasons to be positive about this players future than pessimistic.

Still surprised he dropped to 10.

Reactions: Oilhawks

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Not sure how many of you need to read this, but Bouchard nearly led his entire pro hockey team in scoring...as a rookie defenceman. Dude is ready for NHL action, and that was the plan for him.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I can also tell you the team views Broberg as a top penalty killer when he arrives and likely 2nd powerplay, and Maxsimov's high penalty count in junior wasn't too big of a concern for the team.

Yuk.

I hope your source is bad.

Bouchard with work issues is bad if true and the opposite of what I've heard.

Drafting Broberg as a top penalty killer and #2 PP guy with such a high draft pick is borderline insane. Massive mistake by the organization. I've watched him kill penalties at the WJC and he isn't even "that" good at it... yuk.

I really liked Maxismov as a pick/prospect but was concerned about his penalties... Very curious now why they think that aspect of his game isn't a problem?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree, I'd have the same guys but re jigged a little. I think you can get Green back short term for under 2M and he would be in my top 6 unless Bouchard really blows the doors off in training camp and takes the spot.
I wouldn't go anywhere near Green. He did exactly as I thought he would after we acquired him. Get himself injured. Time to move on, and count our lucky stars we only gave up junk to get him.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yuk.

I hope your source is bad.

Bouchard with work issues is bad if true and the opposite of what I've heard.

Drafting Broberg as a top penalty killer and #2 PP guy with such a high draft pick is borderline insane. Massive mistake by the organization. I've watched him kill penalties at the WJC and he isn't even "that" good at it... yuk.

I really liked Maxismov as a pick/prospect but was concerned about his penalties... Very curious now why they think that aspect of his game isn't a problem?

So on Broberg it's weird, the person in the org talked about him like a 2nd pair dman. I said I've heard klef as a comparable and they responded, "better than klef" :/

On Maxsimov I was told sometimes older, big bodied players have trouble containing that size and physically against younger junior players. Serron Noel was giving to me as another example

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

From what I remember, you've been accurate and trustworthy regarding your sources.

The Maksimov thing is interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad