Management Eugene Melnyk -Lawsuits, rants, and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Scotty Bowman said it

What makes a good coach?

Good players

I recall my quote came out of NCAA football but it’s all the same. Anyone who has coached knows it’s is easier to win with good players.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So, if the situation being presented is that we draft both Laff and Byflied, how are you going to feel when Melnyk decides not to extend them into their UFA years and trade them for magic beans?

Your concerned that on the off chance we get one and two that 7 years from now Melnyk won't sign them? Really? Doesn't that seem a little over the top? Melnyk's odds of being alive in 7 years aren't that great.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Your concerned that on the off chance we get one and two that 7 years from now Melnyk won't sign them? Really? Doesn't that seem a little over the top? Melnyk's odds of being alive in 7 years aren't that great.
Players get big $ directly off ELC's in today's market.

The crunch is coming way before 7 years.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The rest appear to suffer from "battered fan syndrome", where they say "this time it will be different".

(No offence intended to people suffering from domestic abuse intended)

We can say the same thing about new ownership.

As much as I want to see Eugene absolutely gone and never within spitting distance of the Sens ever again, let's not assume the next owner is going to be Daddy Megabucks, just spending to the cap every year and turning water into wine.

At the end of the day, we are still a mid-tier market between two original six juggernauts. We will not be a cap team every year. We will not be in constant contention for a championship. We will never be the Toronto Maple Leafs. We will still primarily focus on drafting and development and having a young, fast team that will hopefully spend when we have a chance at making a decent run.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Players get big $ directly off ELC's in today's market.

The crunch is coming way before 7 years.

That’s why you don’t extend your beloved 28 year UFA’s to x8 year retirement contracts where 6 of those years provide negative value.

Trade them before they walk and collect the EK return type assets (that everyone hated) and recycle. Trade back for your beloved EK at half the price if you really want to 12 months later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

As much as I want to see Eugene absolutely gone and never within spitting distance of the Sens ever again, let's not assume the next owner is going to be Daddy Megabucks, just spending to the cap every year and turning water into wine.

At the end of the day, we are still a mid-tier market between two original six juggernauts. We will not be a cap team every year. We will not be in constant contention for a championship. We will never be the Toronto Maple Leafs. We will still primarily focus on drafting and development and having a young, fast team that will hopefully spend when we have a chance at making a decent run.
We have no basis to make assumptions, positive or negative, about the next owner.

We have a lengthy track record with Eugene to predict our future.

The odds of the next owner not being significantly better are astronomically low.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Here is the latest posting regarding LeBlanc on the Arizona forum.
The Feckless PuckRegistered Loser
New
Call it as subjective as you want, but the truth is that LeBlanc was the public face of a group of absolute small-timer grifters who nearly torpedoed the Arizona Coyotes franchise (under the guise of "saving" it). So my guess is that he's there to try and improve fan/ownership relations. Good luck with that.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Here is the latest posting regarding LeBlanc on the Arizona forum.
The Feckless PuckRegistered Loser
New
Call it as subjective as you want, but the truth is that LeBlanc was the public face of a group of absolute small-timer grifters who nearly torpedoed the Arizona Coyotes franchise (under the guise of "saving" it). So my guess is that he's there to try and improve fan/ownership relations. Good luck with that.

My hopes aren't particularly high. Seems like a retread hire from one dime store organization to another.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

No sane person expects an owner to come in and spend anywhere close to the cap on the current roster imo, in fact i would argue that is actually counter intuitive to success and that a team should always try and aim to be lean and mean and not simply spend their problems away, ideally I want an honest owner who is truly looking towards at least attempting to build a competitive product for their fans and knows and understands both the NHL business and the market, to me current ownership is the anthesis of this. It's been said thousand of times on this very board, adding to a severely depleted staff at all levels would be a start and shouldn't cost really all that much in the grand scheme of things and likely would return its value 10 fold!

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
If StooEuge is going to 'spend near the cap' and experience FYOUS in 2021-22 onward as promised, it would make sense for him begin to ramp up spend on at least one foundational UFA or maybe RFA this year, to begin the climb from cheapest salary portfolio ever (excluding the LTIR core) to +$25M in real spending 17 months from now.

A solid, big defenseman for the future could be added now, and while reducing goals against, we should still be offensively-challenged enough to still get one more top pick. A year head start sets up FYOUS with a great partner for Chabot or someone to clean up he 2nd pair, getting a year to get acclimatized.

Unless spending near the cap and FYOUS were mindless bravado....nah, couldn't be....

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If StooEuge is going to 'spend near the cap' and experience FYOUS in 2021-22 onward as promised, it would make sense for him begin to ramp up spend on at least one foundational UFA or maybe RFA this year, to begin the climb from cheapest salary portfolio ever (excluding the LTIR core) to +$25M in real spending 17 months from now.

A solid, big defenseman for the future could be added now, and while reducing goals against, we should still be offensively-challenged enough to still get one more top pick. A year head start sets up FYOUS with a great partner for Chabot or someone to clean up he 2nd pair, getting a year to get acclimatized.

Unless spending near the cap and FYOUS were mindless bravado....nah, couldn't be....
We all have known for many years no UFA's of elite calibre would choose to come to Ottawa unless we really overpay them. That by itself would hurt our cap no matter high much he is willing to spend. The only way we get a UFA to come here is if we have a solid young team that is in the top quarter of the league. The Toronto Raptors were in the same position when they traded for Kawhi. We have to build a championship team and tack on the final piece.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Uncle Euge trying hard to make this right...

Melnyk is Handling this Perfectly

"For all the criticism that has been levied his way, especially those about not caring or giving back to the community of Ottawa, Melnyk is knocking this out of the park. He has unquestionably done the right thing at every turn of this pandemic, and for that, it’s time to stow any gripes about his hockey operations dealings for the time being. To continually harp on him for his past misdeeds is not relevant or appropriate at this juncture."

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

"For all the criticism that has been levied his way, especially those about not caring or giving back to the community of Ottawa, Melnyk is knocking this out of the park. He has unquestionably done the right thing at every turn of this pandemic, and for that, it’s time to stow any gripes about his hockey operations dealings for the time being. To continually harp on him for his past misdeeds is not relevant or appropriate at this juncture."
That ship has sailed.

A few low cost public gestures doesn't balance off the lengthy track record of ass-shattery.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

LOL. That’s not how real life works. I’m not just forgetting years of bad behaviour because of a few positive gestures that amount to slightly more than basic human decency.

“Selfless acts” what a joke. When you’ve spent years torpedoing your reputation in a community this isn’t selfless, this is basic rehabilitation. Looks like Brandon is trying to get himself a seat on the charter.

Next time I try to make amends with someone by buying them flowers I’ll make sure to point out how selfless it was to buy them flowers.

That ship has sailed.

A few low cost public gestures doesn't balance off the lengthy track record of ass-shattery.

100%

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
LOL. That’s not how real life works. I’m not just forgetting years of bad behaviour because of a few positive gestures that amount to slightly more than basic human decency.

“Selfless acts” what a joke. When you’ve spent years torpedoing your reputation in a community this isn’t selfless, this is basic rehabilitation. Looks like Brandon is trying to get himself a seat on the charter.

Next time I try to make amends with someone by buying them flowers I’ll make sure to point out how selfless it was to buy them flowers.

100%

Great post.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have no basis to make assumptions, positive or negative, about the next owner.

We have a lengthy track record with Eugene to predict our future.

The odds of the next owner not being significantly better are astronomically low.

Oh, the next owner will be better.

But let's not assume he'll be throwing money around all over the place, either.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Oh, the next owner will be better.

But let's not assume he'll be throwing money around all over the place, either.
If they buy in the next year or two, it is safe to assume their spending on the roster will be low initially due to the large number of players on their ELC. I do foresee new owners spending far more on all other aspects of the org than Eugene has been. It won’t cost an enormous amount of money and will bring tangible benefits to the quality and perception of the organization.

I also foresee them running at or near the cap when the roster is a contender and not selling off assets for purely financial reasons.

In short, I expect them to operate like a normal NHL team in a mid sized market.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Discovery is going to take a long time.

Also to be noted why we may never hear anything for a looooooong while:

Rules on legal professional privilege, confidentiality or professional secrecy

A lawyer’s duty of confidentiality is a broad obligation that covers all information concerning the business and affairs of the client acquired in the course of the professional relationship.
Privilege is a subset of this duty of confidentiality and is both an evidentiary rule of law and constitutionally protected right concerning oral or documentary communications between a client and their lawyer.

Non-contentious matters

Lawyers must protect all information concerning the business and affairs of the client acquired during the professional relationship, regardless of its source. This includes information that may not seem directly relevant to the matter at issue. The duty of confidentiality extends beyond the end of the lawyer-client relationship. Unless legally required or authorised by the client, a lawyer should not reveal having been retained by a client about a particular matter or the identity of any client, regardless of whether a lawyer-client relationship has been formally established.

Settlement privilege

As described by the Supreme Court of Canada, settlement privilege “wraps a protective veil around the efforts parties make to settle their disputes by ensuring that communications made in the course of these negotiations are inadmissible” (Sable Offshore Energy Inc. v Ameron International, 2013 SCC 37). It applies to both communications and documents created for the intended purpose of settlement or settlement negotiations.

Generally, a document or communication will only be protected if:

• A litigious dispute is in existence or reasonably contemplated.
• The communication is made with the express or implied intention that it will not be disclosed to the court in the event negotiations fail.
• The purpose of the communication is to attempt to effect settlement.​

Although privilege may be more easily asserted if the communication or document is marked “without prejudice”, this marking is not a prerequisite to a claim of settlement privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad