Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I am actually surprised it’s that high in this economy. Guys like Hamonic, proven NHL top 4 vet, will likely sign for less. Not that I’m not happy with the deal, just thought at this time it would be less. Dermott, more NHL experience, took his QO at what 900K? Deangelo signed a 1 year 925 last offseason, similar circumstance in that he just needed to prove he could hold course.

The good thing about the deal is if Bear continues to impress your getting him relatively cheap for the second year. I just have my reservations when you look at all the Oiler D who look good for a season just to fizzle out, Gilbert, Davidson, Marincin, Benning though he looked better this past year. Oiler fans have a tendency of pumping a young lesser known D mans tires just for him to become the whipping boy the following year.

Like I said in another thread he’s a perfect candidate for sophomore slump. He was already trending bad the last 30 games of last year.

I think Barrie was brought in to be Nurses partner.

Nurse Barrie
Russell Larson
Kkkk Bear

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Like I said in another thread he’s a perfect candidate for sophomore slump. He was already trending bad the last 30 games of last year.

Nurse Barrie
Russell Larson
Kkkk Bear
He really was not trending bad in the last 30 games of the year. He was arguably our best Dman and was a huge reason for our success.
Even after Klefbom went down he was able to maintain his play as top pairing RD playing well over 22mins per night against top opponents which included minimal PP time.

Even if slumps down below Larsson and Barrie it is okay considering what he gets paid.

More than happy with a "3rd pairing" of Jones-Bear

Nurse-Barrie, KK-Larsson, Jones-Bear
(Russell, Bouchard, Lagesson)

Don't want to see Russell-Larsson pairing at all.

Reactions: Faelko

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am actually surprised it’s that high in this economy. Guys like Hamonic, proven NHL top 4 vet, will likely sign for less. Not that I’m not happy with the deal, just thought at this time it would be less. Dermott, more NHL experience, took his QO at what 900K? Deangelo signed a 1 year 925 last offseason, similar circumstance in that he just needed to prove he could hold course.

The good thing about the deal is if Bear continues to impress your getting him relatively cheap for the second year. I just have my reservations when you look at all the Oiler D who look good for a season just to fizzle out, Gilbert, Davidson, Marincin, Benning though he looked better this past year. Oiler fans have a tendency of pumping a young lesser known D mans tires just for him to become the whipping boy the following year.

I'm a big Bear fan. The defenseman. Not the malt beverage.

This is a very strong bridge deal... Prior to the Covid bargin bin deals being tossed around.

I personally was hoping for a Klefbom long term deal with Bear. If he is worth 2.5 in his second year he is most likely worth 4.5 over 7/8 years. Something I thought possible in the current market.

Very happy with the deal but surprised by how much it is in the current environment. The Oilers must be very confident that Bear will be a big part of our defense the next two years. Even as a fan of his I do worry about regression. He did struggle a bit as the season went on. I believe Bears very sharp development curve puts him slightly ahead of the names you mentioned but like you say it is very common for a defenseman to have a good start to his career and then decline sharply as well.

Looking forward to a young potent defense core for a long time. I hope Holland can secure some of it long term on team friendly prices. The Nurse deal is f***ing stupid. Petry level stupid or worse. I know everyone likes to pump Holland's Tires something fierce but his more recent track record still worries me. Nuge needs to be signed before the trade deadline. Nurse needs to be signed well before the following trade deadline as well. Both on reasonable contracts. Failing to do these things will undermine a championship every bit as much as Chiarelli did during his tenure.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holland had 0 cap space to do a long term deal. He had to walk away from AA and lose Klefbom for a year to make any deals.
It was a perfect deal for both sides considering flat cap. 2x2 is bottom pair Dman money so not sure where the " Oilers must be very confident in Bear being a core player" is coming from.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Are there implications to this happening prior to Klefbom LTIR?

It just means the Oilers will have to use equation 2. They will not have to waive players, etc.

I must note that I pointed this out last year and people called me dumb and ignorant. Smart people too. :)

The Training-Camp Equation

1. The training camp equation can be used on the last day of training camp in preparation for the first day of the season:
    ACSL = Team cap hit - LTIR player’s cap hit

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $78M and places a player with an AAV of $3.5M on LTIR:
    Team cap hit = $78M
    Player’s cap hit = $3.5M
    ACSL = $78M - $3.5M = $74.5M
    To accrue cap space while the team continues to use LTIR, they would need to trade players to get below a projected cap hit value of $74.5M.
The ACSL will always be less than or (in the optimal scenario) equal to the league upper limit. The closer the ACSL is to the league upper limit, the greater the team will be able to exceed the upper limit.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Holland had 0 cap space to do a long term deal. He had to walk away from AA and lose Klefbom for a year to make any deals.
It was a perfect deal for both sides considering flat cap. 2x2 is bottom pair Dman money so not sure where the " Oilers must be very confident in Bear being a core player" is coming from.

AA had 30 goals in the nhl. Had a 3m? Qualifying offer as a supposedly much more established nhler. We traded 2 second round picks for him (foolish imo but hypothetically worth it if everything went perfect).

Bear was a 4th rounder with one full success season under his belt and his QO will be around 2.5.

When you can get AA and Turris for under 2 mill and you set up Bear to make minimum 2.5ish on his next contract...

It's all relative perspective in the current environment.

Bear is unproven and paid more than some seriously solid vets...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but the math suggests Bear is being paid extremely well in the current market. I was half expecting a 1 year 1 mill contract. A show me at least one more year while the flat cap curbs contracts.

Instead Bear and his agent are positioned extremely well to capitalize on a big second RFA deal with more bargaining rights, a rumored lucrative new TV deal, and hopefully a non covid/flat cap environment...

Bear, if he improves somewhat as is at least reasonable, did not sign a team friendly deal in anyway shape or form. He and his agent did exceptionally well versus Holland in an environment and RFA status that gave him no bargaining power.

This suggests the organization is extremely high on Bear and are rewarding him as such.

Jones for example got how much again?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNumber4

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Happy it got done. Probably a bit of an overpay in today's market but it's not hard to imagine Bear being worth it and continuing to grow. Hopefully he doesn't fall into a sophomore slump but I think this is likely the best Holland could do with the cards he had to play.

Holland's worse move so far has been trading for AA, but at the time it's not like he knew Covid was coming.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Nurse Barrie
Russell Larson
Kkkk Bear

Ethan Bear is in his 4th year pro. A sophomore slump is more of a concern for me when a guy doesn't have enough pro experience. The minors is where the ups and downs for young players should occur as they find consistency. Bear made a couple bad mistakes against Chicago, an excellent offensive team, lets not overreact to a couple plays.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
For this kimd of stuff I would simply direct you to the Business Board.

Thank you for the condescension. There is a reason why I don't go to other boards when ordered to do so. You are on the Oilers board making a comment you deem germaine to this board. Yes, this was condescending.

Expect TV Rights Fees For Sports To Soar (forbes.com)

Thank you for doing the right thing, despite the condescension. This story only says the NHL is looking for more money. Had this been the only story you quoted then I would have known you were talking out of your butt.

The second story actually talks about NBC and ESPN potentially bidding against each others.

Yes, there was a legitimate reason to ask you to provide your sources. Had it just been the first story then I would have known you were just pulling stuff out of thin air without real support.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
The Hollander strikes again!
The Hollander.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ethan Bear is in his 4th year pro. A sophomore slump is more of a concern for me when a guy doesn't have enough pro experience. The minors is where the ups and downs for young players should occur as they find consistency. Bear made a couple bad mistakes against Chicago, an excellent offensive team, lets not overreact to a couple plays.
Last year was his first full NHL year. Guys in his situation could have the slump once teams start watching more film on the guy.

Especially this year with how the divisions are and you playing teams so much. Teams will pick up on tendencies a lot easier.

Whether or not that happens we shall see. He is still a young growing d-man and if he picked up a few more minor skills during the time off it will be a lot harder for teams to figure him out.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Last year was his first full NHL year. Guys in his situation could have the slump once teams start watching more film on the guy.

Especially this year with how the divisions are and you playing teams so much. Teams will pick up on tendencies a lot easier.

Whether or not that happens we shall see. He is still a young growing d-man and if he picked up a few more minor skills during the time off it will be a lot harder for teams to figure him out.

Hopefully hes improved his speed a bit this offseason, hes Benning slow out there last year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
AA had 30 goals in the nhl. Had a 3m? Qualifying offer as a supposedly much more established nhler. We traded 2 second round picks for him (foolish imo but hypothetically worth it if everything went perfect).

Bear was a 4th rounder with one full success season under his belt and his QO will be around 2.5.

When you can get AA and Turris for under 2 mill and you set up Bear to make minimum 2.5ish on his next contract...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but the math suggests Bear is being paid extremely well in the current market. I was half expecting a 1 year 1 mill contract. A show me at least one more year while the flat cap curbs contracts.

Instead Bear and his agent are positioned extremely well to capitalize on a big second RFA deal with more bargaining rights, a rumored lucrative new TV deal, and hopefully a non covid/flat cap environment...

Bear, if he improves somewhat as is at least reasonable, did not sign a team friendly deal in anyway shape or form. He and his agent did exceptionally well versus Holland in an environment and RFA status that gave him no bargaining power.

This suggests the organization is extremely high on Bear and are rewarding him as such.

Your math is so ass backwards it’s ridiculous. Jones is getting paid that because he’s half the D man that bear is. There’s a reason Jones was getting extremely sheltered this year while bear was playing top pairing. Who cares about draft stock? Has nothing to do with signing a second deal.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Of course he can regress, that wasn't my point. I don't think it's an impossibility I just think a well seasoned pro, which I think 3 years should qualify you as, means you're far less likely to get in your own way which tends to cause slumps. Bear is an excellent puck mover and decision maker with great hands, I don't see any of those things going away and I don't think anything is going to surprise him given his experience in the pros.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

He definitely started to struggle more later in the season. But I think he will be fine.

That said my hope is that Tippett doesn't lean heavy on him and Nurse. Last year they were the highest event pairing in the NHL on both ends of the ice and that's very risky. Were on the ice for lots of goals for and just as many goals against. Hopefully spreading their icetime out a bit more will allow them to clean up in their own end a bit more

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thank you for the condescension. There is a reason why I don't go to other boards when ordered to do so. You are on the Oilers board making a comment you deem germaine to this board. Yes, this was condescending.

Thank you for doing the right thing, despite the condescension. This story only says the NHL is looking for more money. Had this been the only story you quoted then I would have known you were talking out of your butt.

The second story actually talks about NBC and ESPN potentially bidding against each others.

Yes, there was a legitimate reason to ask you to provide your sources. Had it just been the first story then I would have known you were just pulling stuff out of thin air without real support.

I was responding to a poster who asked about the future cap. So I will say again...If you, that poster, or anyone else are interested in this stuff ,then I recommend the Business Board as I have for over a decade. It's probably the best resource you will find on the internet for specific business of hockey related discussion.

As far as providing a reference, you asked, I gave it to you. If you want to critique the quality of the references that's up to you. But you will be hard tasked to find examples of any posts I have made over the last decade in a half I made that I simply made stuff up.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I was responding to a poster who asked about the future cap. So I will say again...If you, that poster, or anyone else are interested in this stuff ,then I recommend the Business Board as I have for over a decade. It's probably the best resource you will find on the internet for specific business of hockey related discussion.

As far as providing a reference, you asked, I gave it to you. If you want to critique the quality of the references that's up to you. But you will be hard tasked to find examples of any posts I have made over the last decade in a half where I made that I simply made stuff up.
You are one of the few posters here that is actually nice to everyone, doesn't make shit up and always can back up your statements if needed.

Odd to see someone think otherwise.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is a hockey story and person for which to cheer. Ethan Bear put on the work boots off season to fight for an NHL job and then absolutely killed it in his first season. He is also a powerful role model for the Indigenous community (and a good Sasky boy too). Fair deal and credit Holland for finding reasonable middle ground instead of squeezing an important player who didn't have any real negotiating power.

Here's to a hopeful positive year and continuing growth for Ethan.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Odd to see someone think otherwise.

The first story quoted did not support the claim that was made. The second story did.

To actually question people for support of unsubstantiated facts claimed is not 'odd' at all.

I was responding to a poster who asked about the future cap. So I will say again...If you, that poster, or anyone else are interested in this stuff ,then I recommend the Business Board as I have for over a decade.

Glad you have been at it for over a decade. I asked a question about a comment on HFOil. With all people who provide information that isn't as widely distributed I ask for sources. When people provide sources they are acting in good faith. I don't care what the source is, but this was a good example of why sources matter.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

You do realize draft pedigree means absolutely f*** all this far into careers right? You know we offered AA more than we gave Bear and he said no, so we moved on from him and no one wanted him do to his abysmal defensive play.

You also have to realize that we got Turris for cheap because he was bought out right? Players who are bought out often take smaller contracts to choose where they go, and help the team they are signing with cap wise as they are making money still.

2 x 2 mill for a guy in his FIRST full NHL season played essentially top pairing minutes all season. If 2x2 is a bad contract for Bear than the Phillipe Myers contract must suck too...which you may be the only person in the world to think that.

You do realize that you want to keep your RFAs happy so they are less likely to hold out for more or file for arbitration right?

You do know that Bear is right now a top 4 NHL player and proved it. Jones hasn't.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad