Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You do realize draft pedigree means absolutely f*** all this far into careers right? You know we offered AA more than we gave Bear and he said no, so we moved on from him and no one wanted him do to his abysmal defensive play.

You also have to realize that we got Turris for cheap because he was bought out right? Players who are bought out often take smaller contracts to choose where they go, and help the team they are signing with cap wise as they are making money still.

2 x 2 mill for a guy in his FIRST full NHL season played essentially top pairing minutes all season. If 2x2 is a bad contract for Bear than the Phillipe Myers contract must suck too...which you may be the only person in the world to think that.

You do realize that you want to keep your RFAs happy so they are less likely to hold out for more or file for arbitration right?

You do know that Bear is right now a top 4 NHL player and proved it. Jones hasn't.

Jones hasn’t even established himself as an nhl player. Bear played the most minutes of any nhl rookie with almost no PP time. That’s veteran top 4 defensive D man minutes and thrived.

No matter how you spin it, Bear making 1.5M this season and 2.5M next is a steal.
Who cares what his QO would be after 2 seasons. We can walk away from it ala AA if he crashes and burns. He could very well be looking at a 6M+ x 6yr deal if he continues to play ahead of Larsson/Barrie/Bouchard and on par with Nurse.

For Oilers' Ethan Bear, focus remains on winning after signing contract

I like the signing. My point was simply in the current environment he is getting paid well and that is a very good sign the organization is high on him. Which I agree with.

It's a good deal for both but not a steal or bargain in the flat cap world.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
A three year contract he still would have been an RFA.

Yes but the problem with that is since he would be arbitration eligible he could elect salary arbitration after the 3 year deal and then if the Oilers couldn't work out a multi-year deal prior to arbitration then the Oilers would be forced into signing him to a 1 year deal for the amount the arbitrator awarded. Then Bear would be a UFA following that deal.

With a 2 year deal, if Bear files for arbitration following that contract then whatever number the arbitrator awards the Oilers can choose the 1 year deal and then Bear can't file for arbitration the following year and is still an RFA. So with the 2 year deal signed now the Oilers still have more control and leverage once Bear's 2 year contract is up.

Reactions: Aerchon

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I like the signing. My point was simply in the current environment he is getting paid well and that is a very good sign the organization is high on him. Which I agree with.

It's a good deal for both but not a steal or bargain in the flat cap world.
Disagree. It's definitely a bargain.

If COVID wasn't a thing he's definitely making more than 2 Million on a 2 year deal.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
No matter how you spin it, Bear making 1.5M this season and 2.5M next is a steal.
Who cares what his QO would be after 2 seasons. We can walk away from it ala AA if he crashes and burns. He could very well be looking at a 6M+ x 6yr deal if he continues to play ahead of Larsson/Barrie/Bouchard and on par with Nurse.

For Oilers' Ethan Bear, focus remains on winning after signing contract

i wouldn’t call it a steal, but is fair value. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
i wouldn’t call it a steal, but is fair value. Hopefully he continues to improve.
If it wasn't for Covid 4Mx2yrs could have been considered fair as well considering he hung in there as a top pairing Dman most of the season.
I suppose considering the flat cap it may not be seen as a steal. For me it is on par with Kahun and Barrie UFA signings. Both would be steals any other year

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Time on ice shows how much of a bargain this is. 2nd most even strength time on the team. He's on our top pairing, moreso now that we lost Klefbom one would think.

If you play that often, it's just weird to get a small amount, even as an RFA. The $/TOI matters imo. Players making only around 1 million only play 10 minutes a night or less and need to be coached with right match ups. It's only normal for a high minute player to make that much if if it's an ELC

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yes but the problem with that is since he would be arbitration eligible he could elect salary arbitration after the 3 year deal and then if the Oilers couldn't work out a multi-year deal prior to arbitration then the Oilers would be forced into signing him to a 1 year deal for the amount the arbitrator awarded. Then Bear would be a UFA following that deal.

With a 2 year deal, if Bear files for arbitration following that contract then whatever number the arbitrator awards the Oilers can choose the 1 year deal and then Bear can't file for arbitration the following year and is still an RFA. So with the 2 year deal signed now the Oilers still have more control and leverage once Bear's 2 year contract is up.

There's no limit on the number of times a player can file for salary arbitration. The 1 time limit is for a team to take a player to arbitration.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Another nice thing about this contract - Bear is going to be fighting a lot still to keep his place with strong RHD competition.

This deal is much better managed than Nurse's.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's a good contract. Bear had a surprisingly good year last year, but he needs to prove he can do it again, and improve from there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Awesome signing. Was hoping Bear would get locked up cheap long term sometime mid-season last year before Covid hit. Post Covid this contract is fine, and the shorter term allows flexibility as the Oilers D pipeline is deep and odds are we will be seeing some new impact players on D within 2 years.

Bear was by far the best puck mover on the Oilers D last year. Tape to tape nearly every time, with super quick decision making and a natural ability to escape tight pressure and make a play. Held his own on D for the most part, but I will admit he had a bad play-in round and that was surprising and a bit worrying because throughout the season it was rare to see any warts in Bears game.

Moving forward if he brings the same, this contract will be good. If he develops a bit more offence in the O zone with pinches and his decent shot placement this will become a steal.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Best off-season move to date! Bear is shaping up to be a part of the core group to chase the Cup. Nice deal Kenny!

Yup.

It gives Bear a little security and also provides the team some insurance on both sides of the bet. If Bear has a good year and proves he is a legit top four guy it's a steal of a contract and Bear is still a UFA when the contract is finished. If Bear craps the bed then it isn't a killer contract as your 7D or even an AHL/depth guy.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Still way to slow for the NHL

I still dont see the upside many do with this player. I hated the Nurse Bear pairing last year, as every mistake got blamed on Nurse for some reason. I think its proven now, Nurse carried Bear after game 40.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bear is a good dman who played some bad games. It's not unlike when we had Petry, who was worse than this when he was younger.

When your D core is this young, this happens. Bear is also coming off a concussion

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Bear is a good dman who played some bad games. It's not unlike when we had Petry, who was worse than this when he was younger.

When your D core is this young, this happens. Bear is also coming off a concussion

Petry and Bear are not even close really, Petry could skate, Bear cant, huge difference. Oh I forgot size to, way more battle in Petry and he was pretty soft here.

Pretty dumb comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad