Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Doesnt benson require waivers as well? And does this roster give us 4m in cap space? I’m still not completely sure how the cap works now that there’s a taxi squad
No, Benson is still waiver exempt. I think this may be his last year. And yes, we’d have roughly 4 million in cap space since the taxi squad works the same as the minors. So if you have a cap hit greater than 1.075 million, like Chiasson and Khaira, you can only bury that amount off the cap. The remaining amount, 1.075 of Chiasson’s 2.15 and 0.125 of Khaira’s 1.2, would still be on the cap that I noted earlier. But players like Nygard and his 875k, or Benson with his 808k, can be completely buried.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I have a theory. Covid added 20 IQ points to Holland and gave him super negotiating powers.

Nah. He was always this methodical. I think this is a great move. Flat cap means you can’t gamble on longer deals right now.
we don’t reasonably know how long we’ll be at a flat or minimally improving cap. Ethan Bear is great and I’m so excited for him to develop with us, but I don’t think you can afford to give him more than the 2022 equivalent of the Klingberg deal.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
2M AAV is probably the lowest cap hit anyone could have realistically hoped for. Well done Holland.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
2M AAV is probably the lowest cap hit anyone could have realistically hoped for. Well done Holland.
Yeah, I'd like to see the poster who predicted Bear would get 2M or lower on a two year deal. This is big news and I hope Bear's teammates, the fans and management take this to heart.

Last edited:

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Yeah, I'd like to see the poster who predicted Bear would get 2M or lower on a two year deal. This is big news and I hope Bear's teammates, the fans and management take this to heart.
I had guessed a day or two ago that the three options Holland gave Bear were 1x1, 1.5x2, and 2x3. I’m still very happy with 2x2 though.

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
Like this signing

Bear signing.png

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Love they got more than one year. Bear will be big for this team moving forward.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I had guessed a day or two ago that the three options Holland gave Bear were 1x1, 1.5x2, and 2x3. I’m still very happy with 2x2 though.
Must be a quantization error with the decimal point while you were calculating Bear's earnings per minute.

Reactions: tabs

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if the cap situation will be significantly different in 2 years. How much would he sign for realistically if everything keeps trending the way it is? 4m per?
l
There is recent speculation...ie in the last two days that the new US TV dealwill be more than double the current deal. But the odds are it could be much more. Simply doubling the TV deal would add on $3.3M to the cap. So let's be conservative and say $4M more for the TV deal alone. The NHL has been aggressively adding sponsors and is even considering adds on helmets. If the pandemic ends to the point where full arenas are permitted for the 2021-2022 season, I could see the cap in 2022-2023 rising to close to $90M.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
We will be asking so much of Bear this coming season.
Hope he can take a small step forward and add a bit of offensive to the steady calm puck mover he was last year.

For his sake hope Larsson's back holds up and he regains some form from the past.
Can Jones be a second pairing guy? If not, can Barrie play his off side on the second pair with Larsson?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I am actually surprised it’s that high in this economy. Guys like Hamonic, proven NHL top 4 vet, will likely sign for less. Not that I’m not happy with the deal, just thought at this time it would be less. Dermott, more NHL experience, took his QO at what 900K? Deangelo signed a 1 year 925 last offseason, similar circumstance in that he just needed to prove he could hold course.

The good thing about the deal is if Bear continues to impress your getting him relatively cheap for the second year. I just have my reservations when you look at all the Oiler D who look good for a season just to fizzle out, Gilbert, Davidson, Marincin, Benning though he looked better this past year. Oiler fans have a tendency of pumping a young lesser known D mans tires just for him to become the whipping boy the following year.

Reactions: Aerchon

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Oiler fans have a tendency of pumping a young lesser known D mans tires just for him to become the whipping boy the following year.

If Bear plays as well this season as he did last year we don't have to worry about that.

Not sure if the tendency for this 'whipping boy' comment is a real thing. If a player plays well he will get praised. If he plays poorly he will get criticized. Don't see how that means Oilers fan tend to behave abnormally.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Nice to see this done. Holland feels, as most of us do, that Bear will play as well or better the next 2 seasons.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Best outcome for both sides. Oilers need to carefully manage their defence over the next 2-3 seasons. A lot of potential change on the horizon.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why wouldn't you share said speculation?

For this kimd of stuff I would simply direct you to the Business Board. It is a common topic there. The most recent post ther that that excplictly states an expectation of more than doubling the current amount was on Dec 14.

Forbes has also weighed in with a prediction that in general sports media rights will soar.

Expect TV Rights Fees For Sports To Soar (forbes.com)

The strategy seem to be to go to multiple partners as well as to look at streaming rights.

ESPN Wants Back in on NHL TV Rights After Hockey Hiatus (frontofficesports.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and AT14C

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln