Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,
Congratulations on the Re-signing/ extension. From what I’ve seen and read of Ethan, this looks like a great deal for the Team and if he shows enough growth he can earn a payday in the latter years of his next contract.

Great to see your young talent continuing to want to stay with the organization. The stigma of players not wanting to go to Canada or wanting to leave is a bit exaggerated I think.

As several of you have mentioned, well done Ken Holland.
0EE293BE-14CB-4B73-A328-BA6248D89B57.gif

He’s having a renaissance in Edmonton and it’s great for your proud franchise.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Fair deal for both sides, thought Holland might try for a 1 year deal.
Glad he didn't. Next year we better be loading up for a cup run. We could be running with dirt cheap D with Bear, Bouchard, Jones, Broberg and maybe even Koekkoek.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Glad to see him signed. Fair contract. Kinda glad its 2 years. I dont think 1 is long enough and I think we need to see Bear repeat what he did last year to give him more. Glad he wont be missing training camp.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
pretty solid theory.

mine is that players want to play here. There’s potential for something special to happen and they want to be a part of it, and use that to have a bigger payday in their next negotiations.
My theory is that Bear made Holland promise that he won't add another RD like Hamonic/Vatanen for this discount.

Reactions: ujju2 and nabob

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
Lovely. Good job Holland. Little to no risk on this. Hopefully Bear continues to develop into a legitimate top 4 D-man for us.

I have to say, I was skeptical of his hiring, but he’s doing a good job IMO. Not too much to complain about.

Reactions: ujju2

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I wonder if the cap situation will be significantly different in 2 years. How much would he sign for realistically if everything keeps trending the way it is? 4m per?

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Love it, we didn't overcommit so it gives us options.

In about two years, I can see all of Nurse, Klef, Larsson gone and we will save even more $$$

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Great deal! Capfriendly now shows us as being $2,198,325 over the cap with Yamo in the minors.

On day one of the season waive Chiasson, Khaira, and Nygard for a combined $3,025,000 in cap savings. Subtracting the $2,198,325 we’re currently over, that drops us to $826,675 below the cap. Call up Benson with his $808,333 cap hit, and we’ll have just $18,342 in cap room. Then put Klefbom on LTIR and we’ll have $4,148,658 in additional cap space. Drop Benson to the taxi squad with Chiasson, Khaira, and Nygard, and call Yamo back up. After all is said and done we should have over 4 million in cap space during the season to upgrade the roster.

space321

May 11, 2011
Really good contract actually. Holland's RFA and UFA signings have all been pretty good since that Kassian one lol. Gotta give him credit.

Reactions: nally

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Great deal! Capfriendly now shows us as being $2,198,325 over the cap with Yamo in the minors.

On day one of the season waive Chiasson, Khaira, and Nygard for a combined $3,025,000 in cap savings. Subtracting the $2,198,325 we’re currently over, that drops us to $826,675 below the cap. Call up Benson with his $808,333 cap hit, and we’ll have just $18,342 in cap room. Then put Klefbom on LTIR and we’ll have $4,148,658 in additional cap space. Drop Benson to the taxi squad with Chiasson, Khaira, and Nygard, and call Yamo back up. After all is said and done we should have over 4 million in cap space during the season to upgrade the roster.
What would the full roster be if we made these moves? In terms of the Active roster and taxi squad

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
What would the full roster be if we made these moves? In terms of the Active roster and taxi squad
Nuge-McD-Kass
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Ennis-Turris-Pully
Neal-Haas-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larson
Russell-Barrie
Koekkoek

Kosk
Smith

Chiasson
Khaira
Nygard
Benson
Bouchard
Forsberg

Could also add Koekkoek to the taxi club but it’s just an added risk of losing him on waivers. The only real risk in the scenario I wrote is losing Nygard. I doubt anyone takes Chiasson or Khaira off waivers, and if they do it’s not a big deal IMO.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Nuge-McD-Kass
Kahun-Drai-Yamo
Ennis-Turris-Pully
Neal-Haas-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larson
Russell-Barrie
Koekkoek

Kosk
Smith

Chiasson
Khaira
Nygard
Benson
Bouchard
Forsberg

Could also add Koekkoek to the taxi club but it’s just an added risk of losing him on waivers. The only real risk in the scenario I wrote is losing Nygard. I doubt anyone takes Chiasson or Khaira off waivers, and if they do it’s not a big deal IMO.
Doesnt benson require waivers as well? And does this roster give us 4m in cap space? I’m still not completely sure how the cap works now that there’s a taxi squad

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

You're smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2