Post-Game Talk: Ethan Bear Hype Train - One Year Delayed, But We’re Finally Here Boys!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Obviously they won the game and the new guys are the most fun to watch/follow, but one of the main things that interested me going into this game was how McDavid and Draisaitl would do on different lines as C. I did not see the game and so far I have seen very little commenting about that specific with regards to game reports. Anyone with a run-down of how it went? Worth trying again?

Yeah , Hall , Eberle , Yakupov 1st , Puljujarvi 1st and the Reinhart trade . I wanted Tkachuk with that pick .

Tkachuk McDavid Draisaitl
Hall RNH Eberle
Jurco Barzal Chiasson
Burdasov Sheahan Kassian
Nygard

We could score ourself out of trouble most nights

Splitting McDavid and Draisaitl imo is the only way to potentially get this team into the playoffs.

It's just a matter of having a star player on the ice for only 20 minutes a night when they are together or 40+ minutes a night separate.

It's just a far superior strategy. Seemed to work well last night.

I think all 3 big C's can run their own line. Nuge is great player but not a 100+ superstar. Playing him with Drai or having him run a third line would bump his effectiveness considerably.

Leave Neal and XXX with McDavid all year things change for the better drastically.

Reactions: Whatever2019

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
With Jurco pretty much locking up a spot, it's between Nygard, Burdasov, Haas and Russell for that 14th spot and I have a suspicion that Tippett likes Russell the most of that group. I think Cave is locked into 4th line center.

I wonder if this was the final audition and that we'll see the final roster against Calgary to develop chemistry before opening night. If we don't see any cuts today then there will probably be another audition for the bubble boys.
I think Cave is close to locking it up, the problem is Cave can score literally at all and there's probably not a lot of risk if they send him down, so I don't know that he's a lock, imo.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
0zoVhTy.png

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I can't be the only one that went into this summer with Jones, Persson, Laggesson and even Bouchard as being more likely to make the team than Bear.

Bear rising above all of them is huge for our asset value and our ability to move some D out in the near future for offensive help!

Having watched the Condors all last season, I was sure Jones and Day were better. Bear was in and out of the line up so much with little injuries. Jones seemed to have much more command of the game when he was on the ice. Bear - while still good - didn't seem to have the skating or the confidence of Jones.

Bear changed, and you can see it on the ice. Every guy talks about how they improved over the summer, but most guys are just bullshitting. Bear is truly visually better™, he's quicker, more efficient, and uses his skating, he's moving his legs to create his own space more. He wasn't this good last year.

Has he done enough? I think that's still to be determined. Preseason is preseason. He's earned the chance to stay. Now he has to show he can handle game 1, game 10, game 20... But he's going to get the benefit of the doubt, because the coach trusts that he will do the work. For that he deserves a ton of props.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Good to see Bear look good. He looked pretty solid in his brief NHL tenure 2 years ago. Add that to 2 good AHL seasons and phenomenal junior career

Ive always felt Bear is a bit underrated on HF because there is a preception hes a below average skater with defensive issues (aka a offensive only D). I think hes actually a pretty solid defensive player and hes skating is NHL caliber. Him making the NHL this year isnt a surprise to me

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Seen a bunch of pairings posted but nothing I agree with yet.

The D with Persson out:
Nurse-Larsson
Klef-Bear
Lagesson-Russell
Benning

I don't mind Benning as a player, and I want him to succeed but he's playing himself out of the lineup.

Please no more Russell on the right side, id rather have Russell-Benning as a pairing then anybody-Russell based on how much better Russell looks playing on the proper side

Reactions: Cypress

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I just hope we can keep Bear far away from Russell this season. Let the kid enter the NHL and learn the ropes slowly. Would hate to handicap him from the get go

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Please no more Russell on the right side, id rather have Russell-Benning as a pairing then anybody-Russell based on how much better Russell looks playing on the proper side
Agreed. Russell on the RH side just ensures we’ll get the same results we’ve been getting.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Good to see Bear look good. He looked pretty solid in his brief NHL tenure 2 years ago. Add that to 2 good AHL seasons and phenomenal junior career

Ive always felt Bear is a bit underrated on HF because there is a preception hes a below average skater with defensive issues (aka a offensive only D). I think hes actually a pretty solid defensive player and hes skating is NHL caliber. Him making the NHL this year isnt a surprise to me

Of all the non-roster defensemen from last year who are still in camp, Bear has far and away shown the most.

I have no trouble keeping him with Klef until Bear shows he is overmatched.

Benning should stay on the third pair with Russell.

Not sure what to do about Persson unless you just decide to keep him at 7 in case Bear falters. Russell is still a better option at 3LD than Lagesson.

Nurse/Larsson
Klef/Bear
Russell/Benning

Persson (inj) / Manning at 7.

Reactions: Aerchon

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I just hope we can keep Bear far away from Russell this season. Let the kid enter the NHL and learn the ropes slowly. Would hate to handicap him from the get go

Yes putting him with a guy with close to 800 GP, on the 3rd pairing would be horrible. What a joke

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Benning
Russell-Bear

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Bear
Russell - Benning

Then, when Persson is back:
Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Persson
Russell - Larsson

Bear needs to be sheltered defensively. One preseason game with questionable defence doesn’t change that.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Have to think Bear will ditch the training camp #74 number if he makes the big squad.

He wore #25 in the Dub so maybe he goes to #52?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If someone needs to be sheltered on the bottom pairing, they shouldn't be in the NHL. This is why I'm not a fan of Benning.

You’d literally never have any new dmen coming into the league, if you didn’t. Every team does that with their dmen. Look at how St. Louis has handled Vince Dunn, or Toronto and Dermott

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You know what is being said. You have your concerns for your reasons. All Defenseman have lapses, because perfect doesn't exist.

No, Nurse just has more then most. I love how me saying Bear needs sheltered minutes and shouldn’t be on the top pairing after one preseason game, instantly gets him compared to Nurse who has very real concerns for a dman who was drafted 6 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00