Post-Game Talk: Ethan Bear Hype Train - One Year Delayed, But We’re Finally Here Boys!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Y'all do know that if they send PRussell down he has to pass thru waivers right? No way Tippett let's Holland do that to his boi

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You know what's really amazing? The fact that I'm actually slightly surprised that Ethan Bear is the only kid from our pipeline that's got a chance to play this season.

That farm team better go very deep in the playoffs.
That's a load of crap, we are making our opening night line-up with nearly everyone healthy, Bear isn't the only one who played on Bako last year who'll see some NHL action. It's an 82 game season, things happen and change over the course of the season some guys will play their way off the team and others play their way onto the team, also injuries are more an eventuality than a possibility and that always forces some changes.

Reactions: MessierII

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A fun line up based off preseason/tonight's game:

Jurco McDavid Neal (Crosby Line)
Chaisson RNH Draisaitl (Awesome Second Line)
Kharia Sheahan Archibald (Just like this line and think it would do well)
Nygard Haas Kassian (The Phantom Menace)
Granlund

Burdasov signed but starts in the ahl and is our first call up.

Cave waived cause he is not nhl caliber imo. Or is our 14th forward.

Gagner is just too slow and not good enough overall. If the depth players pushing him off the team that's a very good thing. Sam Gagner does not belong on a legit playoff team. Imo.

Nurse Larsson (But better than preason)
Klefbom Bear
Russell Persson
Benning

Lagesson first call up.

Manning waived and forgotten. Had an ok camp but was just not good enough to beat out anyone. Can be the #8 Dman warming the bench.

Koskinen
Smith.

Reactions: Pomee

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Rob Brown brought up a good point. The team could essentially carry Manning as the 7th dman and never play him. Whenever they need an extra dman just call up someone from Bakersfield.
That way Manning doesnt take up a roster spot in Bakersfield.

Manning is too expensive to sit $2.25 million in the PB for an entire season.

People keep saying "it's a wash" because they'll have to have someone else there anyway to replace him... but it's not a wash.. every dollar counts when you have Brodziak soaking up LTIR cap money all season long... plus you are going to have other players with short term injuries soaking up cap all year long as well... so you absolutely need someone cheap sitting in the PB in order to accumulate some cap space and have a little wiggle room for any potential bonuses as well.

Holland himself said that they want about ~$1.5 million free in cap space to accommodate movement up and down to Bakersfield for short term injuries etc. I could see Manning being a #7 sometimes... but it just doesn't make sense to staple him there for the season (and I'm saying this as someone who hates Manning just on principle for the McDavid incident but freely admitting that Manning is (slightly) better than most will admit.

Lagesson would be a better #7... or better yet a platoon of guys like Jones/Lagesson/Bouchard etc.. depending of course on injuries and levels of play of dmen on both the Oilers and in Bako.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Moving Sekera was the right thing to do.. opening up a spot for a young player like Bear to take. If Sekera was still here, I'm not sure Bear would have this opportunity.

Reactions: ujju2

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Bear was great, with only one pre-season game left I can't imagine him not making this team, especially with Persson injured.

Jurco was quite good, but also luck played a pretty big factor in his 3 point night, the Perreault fumble was pretty fortuitous not many times you get that much time and space alone with the goalie and the PP assist, I don't think it was an intentional pass as much as he just had trouble handling Drai's hard pass and tried to make the best play possible after it popped off his stick.

With respect to Burdasov I seen some good things, but apparently not as much as other people, I don't think he's cemented his spot on the team nor do I think he's justified that he's deserving of a contract just yet.

Kris Russell deserves to be singled out he was really good tonight, if that Nurse Larsson duo doesn't start performing better soon, he could become pretty important to us having a half decent start to the year.

As an organization we really haven't had many goalies who were particularly good at playing the puck, it's kind of nice to see what Mike Smith can do out there, for a team that can have trouble breaking out, his ability to help kickstart the play shouldn't be overlooked.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
You know what's really amazing? The fact that I'm actually slightly surprised that Ethan Bear is the only kid from our pipeline that's got a chance to play this season.

That farm team better go very deep in the playoffs.

Bakersfield is very deep at forward, has a strong top 4 set of D, and one of the top goalies in the AHL last season.

Benson/Marody/Currie
Gambardella/McLeod/Yamamoto
Maksimov/Malone/P. Russell
Safin/Esposito/Hebig

Lagesson/Bouchard
Samorukov/Jones
Lowe/? -> until Day gets back.

Predicting Lagesson & P. Russell get sent down. We may also see one of Nygard, Haas, or Burdasov joining the team. (I think Jurco makes the Oilers)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Colby Cave has 2 big advantages... plays C and is decent on the dot plus he's dirt cheap on the cap hit... below league minimum.

Hate to say it because he's got almost no offense in his game, but he's a type of player that GM's and coaches love for his work effort and value type contract. I think it's HARD to pry that type of player off the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Colby Cave has 2 big advantages... plays C and is decent on the dot plus he's dirt cheap on the cap hit... below league minimum.

Hate to say it because he's got almost no offense in his game, but he's a type of player than GM's and coaches love for his work effort and value type contract. I think it's HARD to pry that type of player off the roster.
Haas just hasn’t done enough to win that battle. Neither of the euros did honestly. Nygard and Haas should both go to Bakersfield.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bakersfield is very deep at forward, has a strong top 4 set of D, and one of the top goalies in the AHL last season.

Benson/Marody/Currie
Gambardella/McLeod/Yamamoto
Maksimov/Malone/P. Russell
Safin/Esposito/Hebig

Lagesson/Bouchard
Samorukov/Jones
Lowe/? -> until Day gets back.

Predicting Lagesson & P. Russell get sent down. We may also see one of Nygard, Haas, or Burdasov joining the team. (I think Jurco makes the Oilers)

Nygard and Haas can't play in the AHL. If we waive them they go back to Europe.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nygard and Haas can't play in the AHL. If we waive them they go back to Europe.

We've heard mixed messages on these players contract "outs"... but I believe the general gist is that they'd play in the AHL for a short period of time (maybe a very short period of time) just to get acclimatized to NA... but yes... anything longer than that and they'd likely head back.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm not getting my hopes up on Burdasov either... I think he'd be a great addition and likely will get better with at least a few more weeks under his belt, getting used to NA ice and the NHL level of play/pace, systems etc.

Problem is that I think he's in a price range slightly above players like Haas/Nygard and Holland is tight to the cap as is... plus does Holland want to tie up yet another contract spot on a player that "might not adjust" to the NHL?

I think he would adjust fine to the NHL personally as he seems to have the shot, iq, positioning and size to compete well at the NHL level... but it's certainly still a risk if you are signing the 49th contract at say $1.25-$1.5 million for a guy with all of 2 pre-season games under his belt and who has looked ok but not spectacular yet.

I have a gut feeling the team passes on him and he's picked up by another NHL team and he goes on to put up ~35 pts for another NHL team (with the Oilers luck, probably a team in their own division).

Reactions: thadd

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not getting my hopes up on Burdasov either... I think he'd be a great addition and likely will get better with at least a few more weeks under his belt, getting used to NA ice and the NHL level of play/pace, systems etc.

Problem is that I think he's in a price range slightly above players like Haas/Nygard and Holland is tight to the cap as is... plus does Holland want to tie up yet another contract spot on a player that "might not adjust" to the NHL?

I think he would adjust fine to the NHL personally as he seems to have the shot, iq, positioning and size to compete well at the NHL level... but it's certainly still a risk if you are signing the 49th contract at say $1.25-$1.5 million for a guy with all of 2 pre-season games under his belt and who has looked ok but not spectacular yet.

I have a gut feeling the team passes on him and he's picked up by another NHL team and he goes on to put up ~35 pts for another NHL team (with the Oilers luck, probably a team in their own division).

You're forgetting that Holland is pretty friendly with his agent, Ritch Winter. This is where Holland's connections and the fact that he has almost universal respect around the league come into play.

If Holland wants him, he'll get him.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
As usual, the negative Manning comments come out. He could have scored three, had two assists, won a fight and everyone would still have him on a plane somewhere. Unbelievable. Yes, Bear scored a couple, but how will he be in his own end? And I still say Manning is better overall than Benning.

Unfortunately some folks will never get over the McDavid injury that was not intentional. Good luck Mandog wherever you end up.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As usual, the negative Manning comments come out. He could have scored three, had two assists, won a fight and everyone would still have him on a plane somewhere. Unbelievable. Yes, Bear scored a couple, but how will he be in his own end? And I still say Manning is better overall than Benning.

Unfortunately some folks will never get over the McDavid injury that was not intentional. Good luck Mandog wherever you end up.
Latvia

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hope they sign Burdasov, at the very least he looks to be a serviceable bottom sixer. Obviously it's based on a limited showing but he has good positioning and is defensively aware.

This.

Burdasov is defensively responsible and not a liability out there. I have time for him, he’s a smart hockey player.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
... but I don't see any of Burdasov, Jurco or Nygard making the top 12. There aren't any top 6 spots open ...

What?? No spots open in top 6? there is a glaring hole in top 6 beside RNH and Neal. Haven´t you been the boards this summer? Kassian fills in on the topline for the cause of lack of talent. If actual talent comes in, then Kassian will be pushed down. If Tippet thinks like this, I will be really sad.

I have NO IDEA why they haven´t already signed Burdasov.
Jurco - McDavid - Neal
Burdasov -RNH - Draisaitl
Chiasson - Sheahan - Kassian
Gagner - Granlund - Archibald

extras: Khaira, P Russell.
I feel no reason to give Cave a spot just only because he is a C, P Russell had fighted for this spot, and is the more valued player.
But soo many RW on this team....

Klefbom - Bear
Nurse - Larsson
Lagesson - Benning

sub : Russel
injured : Persson

To AHL for aclimitizing time : Nygård, Haas.
To AHL just because : Cave, Manning.

Dissapointing preseason for Nygård, mayve it was ment to be.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Missed the game but watched the recap. I’ll watch the full game tomorrow.

What I got from it.

Jurco’s 2nd goal was absolutely filthy.

Neal is good

Bear just moving a bit and letting off the bear bomb was so refreshing to see.

Burdasov looks good

Benning needs to tighten up his game

Smith is going to be our starter

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Lot of people writing off Gagner, I think he's had a really good camp.
Maybe the top 6 gets a shuffle on wingers based on some players knocking, but he's still in the top 12 for me easily.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What?? No spots open in top 6? there is a glaring hole in top 6 beside RNH and Neal. Haven´t you been the boards this summer? Kassian fills in on the topline for the cause of lack of talent. If actual talent comes in, then Kassian will be pushed down. If Tippet thinks like this, I will be really sad.

I have NO IDEA why they haven´t already signed Burdasov.
Jurco - McDavid - Neal
Burdasov -RNH - Draisaitl
Chiasson - Sheahan - Kassian
Gagner - Granlund - Archibald

extras: Khaira, P Russell.
I feel no reason to give Cave a spot just only because he is a C, P Russell had fighted for this spot, and is the more valued player.
But soo many RW on this team....

Klefbom - Bear
Nurse - Larsson
Lagesson - Benning

sub : Russel
injured : Persson

To AHL for aclimitizing time : Nygård, Haas.
To AHL just because : Cave, Manning.

Dissapointing preseason for Nygård, mayve it was ment to be.

There's a lack of C on the team.. Drai and McD will play together most of the time so that negates 1 C by default. RNH is locked in as #2C. Sheahan is either #3C (not really ideal as he's lacking in offense but he's ok there)... then that leaves a #4C spot open... and Cave is the next best option... and can win some faceoffs as well. Granlund is not a very good C... neither is Gagner and the only other option would be Khaira... not ideal either... but maybe as you say they'd go that route if they put Sheahan as #3C.

P Russell and Cave are the same player really (differences are marginal)... so I think they'd actually default to the player who's a centre.

I'd agree that both Haas and Nygard would do best with a short term stint in Bakersfield if they'd agree to go there.

Burdasov I feel will either be lured back to the KHL by a bigger contract OR will sign with another NHL team with slightly more cap space than the Oilers have (there are other teams that may be interested as well).

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
There's a lack of C on the team.. Drai and McD will play together most of the time so that negates 1 C by default. RNH is locked in as #2C. Sheahan is either #3C (not really ideal as he's lacking in offense but he's ok there)... then that leaves a #4C spot open... and Cave is the next best option... and can win some faceoffs as well. Granlund is not a very good C... neither is Gagner and the only other option would be Khaira... not ideal either... but maybe as you say they'd go that route if they put Sheahan as #3C.

P Russell and Cave are the same player really (differences are marginal)... so I think they'd actually default to the player who's a centre.

I'd agree that both Haas and Nygard would do best with a short term stint in Bakersfield if they'd agree to go there.

Burdasov I feel will either be lured back to the KHL by a bigger contract OR will sign with another NHL team with slightly more cap space than the Oilers have (there are other teams that may be interested as well).

While Gagner, Benning and Koskinen takes up 9,5 million in capspace. they maybe should trade Gagner or Benning right now. Even if I think they should keep Benning until the young players has bloom.

But why not check the market with Benning..

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
"ConnorMcMullet, post: 164731417, member: 287299"]I'd go with:

Burdasov - McDavid - Draisaitl
Jurco - Nuge - Neal
Chiasson - Gagner - Kassian
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Persson
Russell - Bear[/QUOTE]

Yes

But that leaves out Nygard, Haas and Granlund. All off-season signings by Holland. If he does cut all 3 of them, he's all about icing the best team, regardless of who he signed. Complete opposite of Chiarelli/McLellan, who penciled in off season signings automatically and gave the illusion of competition.
Also Cave and P. Russell, who are rock solid bottom 6 players with tenacity and puck control. I'd keep one of them as the 13th forward

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad