Post-Game Talk: Ethan Bear Hype Train - One Year Delayed, But We’re Finally Here Boys!

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
So your saying Nurse doesn’t have defensive zone lapses?
I think there's a thread for you to spew this shit in now.

Anyone else really impressed with Neal's play last night? Makes a lot of good decisions in the offensive zone. Good at pressuring the puck, forcing turnovers, and a surprisingly good playmaker which I didn't know.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You’d literally never have any new dmen coming into the league, if you didn’t. Every team does that with their dmen. Look at how St. Louis has handled Vince Dunn, or Toronto and Dermott
What's Bear going to learn from Russell? Playing with him is only going to stunt his growth.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think there's a thread for you to spew this **** in now.

Anyone else really impressed with Neal's play last night? Makes a lot of good decisions in the offensive zone. Good at pressuring the puck, forcing turnovers, and a surprisingly good playmaker which I didn't know.

Once again I never brought it up. Some people can’t handle the truth when they’re checked into Fantasy Land up at the old WEM. Talk of Bear on the top pairing after a preseason game where he looked suspect defensively in literally insane.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What's Bear going to learn from Russell? Playing with him is only going to stunt his growth.

Bear has the best O-zone instincts of any defenseman with the main roster.
He demonstrated the ability to make plays in tight in his D zone.
His game last night was the best of any Oilers defenseman in this preseason so far. Hands down.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Defensive zone positioning and reading the play against lower competition. Which is what he needs to work on.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I think there's a thread for you to spew this **** in now.

Neal's big strength is he doesn't need things to be perfect. That McDavid PP goal, Jurco actually totally flubbed it. The puck bounced close to Neal and he was able to shank it across. Awareness, quick decision-making, assertive with his stick, quick hands, goal. A few times some passes have been a bit behind him, or ahead of him, and he reacts quickly, moves his body and his stick to be able to get the puck on net firmly.

It seems too often guys need it right in the wheel house. The game isn't neat and tidy enough for that.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Wonder if Tippett will move Russell over to RD and try pairing him with Lagesson? He looks like he could be a decent 3rd pairing Dman.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wonder if Tippett will move Russell over to RD and try pairing him with Lagesson? He looks like he could be a decent 3rd pairing Dman.
I was wondering about that as well, part of me wants to see Lagesson at RD with Klefbom, maybe he could, as others have suggested, a Hjalmersson for this team (In time)

Reactions: Faelko

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Neal's big strength is he doesn't need things to be perfect. That McDavid PP goal, Jurco actually totally flubbed it. The puck bounced close to Neal and he was able to shank it across. Awareness, quick decision-making, assertive with his stick, quick hands, goal. A few times some passes have been a bit behind him, or ahead of him, and he reacts quickly, moves his body and his stick to be able to get the puck on net firmly.

It seems too often guys need it right in the wheel house. The game isn't neat and tidy enough for that.

Yeah. He's just a steady and smart veteran top 6 guy. Isn't the most talented but he makes the most optimal play with what's given to him.

Lots of the supposedly skilled phenoms we've had over the years have needed everything on a teebar. I've been noticing that of him, didn't really put it together to phrase it that way though.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
gTBIaTb_d.jpg
>posting greentext on a hockey forum

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I just hope we can keep Bear far away from Russell this season. Let the kid enter the NHL and learn the ropes slowly. Would hate to handicap him from the get go

Russell is perfectly fine on his proper left side on the 3rd pairing.

Actually, I’d argue that Russell is one of the better #5 Dmen in the league.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

What are you talking about?

Russell is solid in his own zone. His gf/ga ratio is good, please don’t say “but Corsi”. He’s good at closing shooting lanes and he’s got excellent gap control.

If Russell is on the left side in a 3rd pairing role, his partner whether it be Bear or whoever would benefit from having Russell as their partner.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What are you talking about?

Russell is solid in his own zone. His gf/ga ratio is good, please don’t say “but Corsi”. He’s good at closing shooting lanes and he’s got excellent gap control.

If Russell is on the left side in a 3rd pairing role, his partner whether it be Bear or whoever would benefit from having Russell as their partner.

Russell could very well have the worst gap control in the league. People can debate many things about Russell when comes ot eye test vs analytics, but both methods of evaluation will agree his gap control is atrocious. Russell gives up the blue line to avoid getting burnt wide. He mitigates all the room given for shots by being so willing to block those shots. But his gap control throughout his career has been heavily criticized wherever he plays

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Russell could very well have the worst gap control in the league. People can debate many things about Russell when comes ot eye test vs analytics, but both methods of evaluation will agree his gap control is atrocious. Russell gives up the blue line to avoid getting burnt wide. He mitigates all the room given for shots by being so willing to block those shots. But his gap control throughout his career has been heavily criticized wherever he plays
Yeah, we know, you have a distaste for Russell akin to Raab's distaste for Nurse (and now Bear), but yours is math based.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad