Post-Game Talk: Ethan Bear Hype Train - One Year Delayed, But We’re Finally Here Boys!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've been on the Ethan Bear bandwagon for two years now, and so Tippet's comments made me giddy with excitement that Bear will finally get a fair chance to shine.

It's probably just as well the previous 'brain'trust didn't play him (much), since they likely would have confused him and destroyed his confidence.

I noticed before that Bear and Draisaitl had chemistry on the PP, so watch for that.

If Bear fulfills my expectation, and with Bouchard ready to break out maybe next year, the Oilers may be all right defensively. But a lot depends on Mr. Larsson and Mr. Koskinen...

Reactions: Pointteen

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've been on the Ethan Bear bandwagon for two years now, and so Tippet's comments made me giddy with excitement that Bear will finally get a fair chance to shine.

It's probably just as well the previous 'brain'trust didn't play him (much), since they likely would have confused him and destroyed his confidence.

I noticed before that Bear and Draisaitl had chemistry on the PP, so watch for that.

If Bear fulfills my expectation, and with Bouchard ready to break out maybe next year, the Oilers may be all right defensively. But a lot depends on Mr. Larsson and Mr. Koskinen...

Honestly, I think in two years time Larsson will be gone or on the third pairing.

He’ll be beat out internally by better players.

Reactions: stratedge

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If that's the case, we will have one hell of a defence.

Either that or Larsson just sucks.

But also yea in 2 years Larsson will be a UFA anyways, and based on the previous 2 years I see no real reason to bring him back, so "gone" is the more likely result.

Last edited:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Is this because the Flames will sign him to a 2yr x 2M contract tonight?

Why not? I thought he had a really good game.

I disagree RE: Burdasov without the puck. He was always in the right spot, and filled lanes nicely. And he had a number of very very solid poke checks.

Offensively he keeps guys honest because from 30 to 40 ft he has a rocket for a wrist shot, and he does a good job finding open men. He supports the puck and the rush, and plays a simple straight line game. I like him.

Had no idea about the mustard thing that's interesting.

Burdasov not making the team is even more interesting.

Why no Burd?

I like the Burd

I actually thought the opposite. He seemed very responsible in his own end, and backchecked quite well.

This is the goods. Burdasov playing a good game in all areas, playing large, and I saw him chipping pucks out, or battling, and he's so smart getting into areas and underrated skater. He cuts nicely, flows into spots well but his anticipation is very good considering lack of NHL experience.

Frankly its amazing how well he is thinking the NHL game this quickly. It only gets better.

I don't know what 'Burd' you guys were watching, but what I saw from him during the preseason was inconclusive and it was obvious he wasn't going to be signed. With where he joined camp and the state the Oilers are in (lots of battling players, 48 contracts) he wasn't going to get signed by simply looking decent. By the same token, I also wouldn't bet against the guy, he didn't look bad either. If he had more time to adapt and more games, there is a chance he's a player who could contribute in the NHL. But this isn't Chia's Oilers anymore, they can't be taking wild swing after wild swing on every long shot fringe player who shows an interest in Edmonton.

After so many years of 95% of these players coming nowhere near the hfboards hype... how does this still happen?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't know what 'Burd' you guys were watching, but what I saw from him during the preseason was inconclusive and it was obvious he wasn't going to be signed. With where he joined camp and the state the Oilers are in (lots of battling players, 48 contracts) he wasn't going to get signed by simply looking decent. By the same token, I also wouldn't bet against the guy, he didn't look bad either. If he had more time to adapt and more games, there is a chance he's a player who could contribute in the NHL. But this isn't Chia's Oilers anymore, they can't be taking wild swing after wild swing on every long shot fringe player who shows an interest in Edmonton.

After so many years of 95% of these players coming nowhere near the hfboards hype... how does this still happen?
Is that you Holland? Most who saw preseason games could tell that Burd when dressed was one of our better players. He made smart decisions when he had the puck and went to the right areas when he dint. I cant think of a single glaring mistake he made. We didn't even get to see his shot … was he even given PP time?
Burd showed more than Granlund, Nygard, Haas, Kassian, Shehan and Chisson and was on par with Khaira and Archibald.
This is either dumb GM'ing or too much ask from the player in terms of salary.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Because the team has been hot garbage for the better part of a decade, so fans naturally prefer the question mark player over the guaranteed dog shit players we're used to icing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes putting him with a guy with close to 800 GP, on the 3rd pairing would be horrible. What a joke

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Benning
Russell-Bear

I get you see some weakness to Nurse's game and don't want to pay him 6+ million but for the love of god what do you like so much about Benning ? On Benning best day he a low end #6 . On his worst day he should be mopping the Oilers locker room .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad