Erik Karlsson (Part 7)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To me a lot of it reminds me about what everyone always said about Thornton - if he's on the ice, you always have to be ready for the puck to come to you. That's just not happening with a lot of guys.

That and karlsson does stuff so effortlessly that it looks like a nothing play. I remember from earlier in the year when he was having a rough stretch and people were like he never makes anything happen or does anything special any more. And that game he had an assist that was a between the legs tip pass that was like a perfect pass right on the stick ready for the one timer.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
To me a lot of it reminds me about what everyone always said about Thornton - if he's on the ice, you always have to be ready for the puck to come to you. That's just not happening with a lot of guys.

Now to be fair, the forwards don't receive as many passes clean as they should in general. Some of that's probably just lack of talent among some, but maybe some of it is just miscommunication where one guy passes but the intended receiver is going to the net instead of getting fully open, etc. Lord knows the team has trouble making clean outlet passes in their own zone. From watching 30 games one could garner that they don't really work on passing and getting open for each other at all. The top line is the only one that seems to make passing plays. The rest is mostly dump, forecheck, cycle, crash net.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
That and karlsson does stuff so effortlessly that it looks like a nothing play. I remember from earlier in the year when he was having a rough stretch and people were like he never makes anything happen or does anything special any more. And that game he had an assist that was a between the legs tip pass that was like a perfect pass right on the stick ready for the one timer.

On a complete tangent, that reminds me of the Balcers play last game where a King's defenseman had the puck shielded down low. Balcers casually walked around him, took the puck in a simple motion, and walked away with puck. The defender looked dumbfounded as he was probably expecting to be hit and pinned to the boards.

Reactions: jarr92

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Plenty of times he also enters the zone or creates space for himself with a nice play and the forwards just crash the net. No one opens up for a pass or anything. So he just shoots in and it usually ends up in someone's feet.

Maybe i'm ignorantly optimistic, because i know the data is bad, but i really struggle to accept the issues are solely on his shoulders. Maybe it's the flashes of elite and brilliant play that keeps up my delusion.

in the pie that is "Erik Karlsson is not playing like a 11.5MM Dman", what's the %breakdown of fault?

Here's my optimistic guess

• Injuries + Age - 15%
  • Bad goaltending influencing decisions and demoralizing the team - 20%
  • insufficient on-ice compatibility with teammates - 35%
  • Coaching - 30%

In Ottawa, they ran their entire offense through Karlsson and made him king.

That’s one thing I noticed that changed when he came to San Jose.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Something has been bugging me, but tonight's game has stood out.

What issue does Hedican have with Karlsson? Has there been some personal issue between them?

It seems whenever something doesn't work for Karlsson or there is a turnover it's a horrible play that can't be made according to Hedican. However, similar plays by Burns, or especially tonight - Ferraro, is "unfortunate".

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

What issue does Hedican have with Karlsson? Has there been some personal issue between them?

It seems whenever something doesn't work for Karlsson or there is a turnover it's a horrible play that can't be made according to Hedican. However, similar plays by Burns, or especially tonight - Ferraro, is "unfortunate".

Could be personal, could be that he expects him to be the best night in and night out and isn’t, or atleast wasn’t for a while.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Maybe Karlsson is a bit more churlish. But Hedican has 11.5 million reasons to critics him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I think it's mostly to do with how Bret played the game versus how someone like Karlsson plays the game. As good as Hedican is as an analyst and as much as he does have insight into how to play the position, he really only has that insight for how to play it the way he did which isn't how Karlsson plays. Sometimes what he says will apply and some things just won't because Karlsson, as a main offensive contributor, has to do things differently to generate offense.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

IMO it might just be the broadcast using some Hegelian dialectic messaging.

Desired result: make it look like team is progressing
Desired debate: nag on players that can actually get better (therefore progress)
Desired problem to frame: Karlsson/Kane need to be better (most others are too green, declining, or maxed out, so nagging them for every mistake will be too negative of a broadcast)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
IMO it might just be the broadcast using some Hegelian dialectic messaging.

Desired result: make it look like team is progressing
Desired debate: nag on players that can actually get better (therefore progress)
Desired problem to frame: Karlsson/Kane need to be better (most others are too green, declining, or maxed out, so nagging them for every mistake will be too negative of a broadcast)
Wait, so is Karlsson playing below his potential the antithesis, or the thesis?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think it's mostly to do with how Bret played the game versus how someone like Karlsson plays the game. As good as Hedican is as an analyst and as much as he does have insight into how to play the position, he really only has that insight for how to play it the way he did which isn't how Karlsson plays. Sometimes what he says will apply and some things just won't because Karlsson, as a main offensive contributor, has to do things differently to generate offense.

It's always amusing to me when he criticizes him for trying to make a play. You don't have Erik Karlsson on your team just to make simple passes and the safe, simple play. However some of his physical attributes have declined, his creativity and playmaking haven't. I wonder if he feels a little more pressure to force things now that he's getting under 23 minutes most games and with a generally less creative forward unit.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Karlsson's passing is outrageous. The way he puts it on tape in tight situations is fantastic.

That was never in question, even when he was "Bad". He just plays with low IQ players or low skilled players that just can't handle those kinds of passes or plays.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That was never in question, even when he was "Bad". He just plays with low IQ players or low skilled players that just can't handle those kinds of passes or plays.
When he's on his game, he's literally putting it on their sticks as they skate up the ice. They probably just had to learn how to not do anything unpredictable. Karlsson's carom work is next level.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
This is basically EK passing to these bums

c2svjq2dwvw3eqv84klo.gif

Reactions: Alwalys and Cas

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I know this is dumb and doesn't say much, but though I'd share...

Erik Karlsson - 5 goals, 12 assists for 17 points - 11.5M cap
Pavelski, Donskoi, Norris, Stutzle - 52 goals, 67 assists for 119 points - 12.75M cap

Reactions: Friday

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I know this is dumb and doesn't say much, but though I'd share...

Erik Karlsson - 5 goals, 12 assists for 17 points - 11.5M cap
Pavelski, Donskoi, Norris, Stutzle - 52 goals, 67 assists for 119 points - 12.75M cap

Possibly Tierney or Balcers too, right?
Though, if Donskoi and Tierney had been resigned, it'd have been sharks tradition to bury Norris and Balcers on the 4th line or cuda. :sarcasm:

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Possibly Tierney or Balcers too, right?
Though, if Donskoi and Tierney had been resigned, it'd have been sharks tradition to bury Norris and Balcers on the 4th line or cuda. :sarcasm:

I thought about adding them, but there’s no sense in making an extremely cherry-picked stat more logical :laugh:

Also, yeah I have no doubt Balcers and Norris would both be in a worse spot had they not been traded :puppy:

Reactions: tealzamboni

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Anyone else see Karlsson's comments on Marleau? Comparing it to the other players it just seems so robotic...and then the very telling peroration...

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Anyone else see Karlsson's comments on Marleau? Comparing it to the other players it just seems so robotic...and then the very telling peroration...
idk, seemed standard fare to me.

Labanc said, "couldn't have happened to a better person", which makes no sense lol

Reactions: Shark Finn

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
In Ottawa, they ran their entire offense through Karlsson and made him king.

I would say that Mark Stone disagrees with that statement.

The same thing might be an issue with the upcoming draft and all of the Michigan players. Can they stand on their own in the NHL and reach their potentials per the scouting talk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad