Player Discussion Eric Staal

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Eric Staal is 56 years young

He really looks like he's enjoying beer league hockey. When he laughs on the bench or when you see him with his glove up to tag after a goal, he looks half drunk I swear. It's like he decided to make the NHL his own personal beer league, being the last guy to join the other 35 year olds from Team Canada's old days. Max chill out there.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Considering this is his last year as a pro, I hope he shines in the playoffs. Wins some important draws and puck battles. That would be nice to see.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It's possible he has another gear left for the playoffs, if anyone makes an immediate shift he's a good bet. Problem is I don't see how he gets any faster...

durojean

May 29, 2007
I heard Eric Belanger say that Staal usually begin to get his groove at around 10 minutes of icetime. He nearly never gets that with the Habs so it makes sense that he does not look good.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Funny how Staal has been “terrible” for KKs development, yet Evans has elevated his game to new heights since the acquisition.

Evans isn't about to play his 24th game in 42 days tomorrow though. I don't understand why so many Hab fans can't see how difficult it is mentally on these young guys who have such little experience playing at the highest level in the world and having to do what no NHLer should ever be asked to do and that's play 24 games with less then 2 days off on average over that span (since 48 days would be every other day)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Evans isn't about to play his 24th game in 42 days tomorrow though. I don't understand why so many Hab fans can't see how difficult it is mentally on these young guys who have such little experience playing at the highest level in the world and having to do what no NHLer should ever be asked to do and that's play 24 games with less then 2 days off on average over that span (since 48 days would be every other day)
If you want to go the exhaustion route, I can get that, but so many here claiming KK is being ruined by not playing enough.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I see Staal on the bench talking to Caufield. What's he telling him , " Kid whatever I'm doing out there do the opposite".

I really hope Staal plays on Wednesday and KK sits.

We need to rest players that are showing signs of fatigue that will be in the lineup when the puck drops for the playoffs - and play players that will be in the stands.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Eric Staal is 56 years young

I heard Eric Belanger say that Staal usually begin to get his groove at around 10 minutes of icetime. He nearly never gets that with the Habs so it makes sense that he does not look good.

it's also common knowledge that players tend to be way down the road of declining and need to be put out to pasture when they reach the age of 56.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

That must be it.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Ducharme is intimidated by him. He won't do it.

Old Man Mountain loaned Staalsy The Stare:

TheStare.gif

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Maybe this was posted, but I just came across this now. Boggles the mind...

Basically, we were playing .500+ hockey before Staal became a regular.

Considering how brutal the schedule was after Staal joined and all the injuries, the result would have been similar without him I suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad