Player Discussion Eric Staal

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
On Staal, I get the selfishness to keep playing. I mean even if he is being paid a fraction of what he used to get, it's still huge money. And all the rest of it, being on a team with all the guys and all that commaraderie that goes with it. Perks like the nice hotels, flying around North America, and meals etc, and being a public figure.

Staal also probably thinks/ hopes he can have some moments where he does something special in a game.

Staal is a guy that needs to be told it's time. DD has to make the call. Now I think it's possible they give Staal game 1, and if they do, they better call an end to it as soon as the buzzer sounds, unless Staal had a good game. I'm guessing he gets the game because you know, players who get you to playoffs and players who get you through them etc. They should call an end now in my books.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
If we play him, I hope he scores multiple hat tricks. I don't care who scores as long as we win.

I'd just prefer we give ourselves the best chance to win possible before the series begins.
Absolutely. I don't want to see him fail but we have players that have a better chance at succeeding and I think that's worth being upset about if he does fail

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Absolutely. I don't want to see him fail but we have players that have a better chance at succeeding and I think that's worth being upset about if he does fail

he’s not going to succeed, I have no hope he can provide what we need in the playoffs. KK and caufield need to play if we want to win

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Dom can't even name 1 single thing that Staal brings....WTF is going on (but when asked about Gally he can go on for minutes)

If that's the case and he's still playing him he's either Pejorative Slured (like not even Jr level coaching) or it's not his decision...

Reactions: Doc McKenna

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Bingo. MB knows this is it for him. He's like a dictator on his last leg. He'll leave with the village burnt and the children starving.
I usually dont believe in that kind of stuff as it sounds too much "conspiracy theory" for me, but a Jr level coach would not play a guy if he can find a single thing where he can be useful... makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If Staal is in the lineup for his playoff experience:

He won his Cup in his first playoffs when he was 21, 15 years ago. Since then he won two more series in 2009.

Since 2010 he has played in a total of 19 playoff games (including the play in series last year). His teams have won a total of 4 games in those 19 games. His team has lost those series 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, and 3-1.

In those 19 games he has 2 goals, 8 points, and is -11.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Staal is in the lineup for his playoff experience:

He won his Cup in his first playoffs when he was 21, 15 years ago. Since then he won two more series in 2009.

Since 2010 he has played in a total of 19 playoff games (including the play in series last year). His teams have won a total of 4 games in those 19 games. His team has lost those series 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, and 3-1.

In those 19 games he has 2 goals, 8 points, and is -11.
Experience is overrated.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
It's conceivable that Bergevin is dictating the line combinations to Ducharme.
MB should just have the balls to step in like Gainey or Lou. To me DD is getting "suggestions". Maybe not (mafia) level suggestions, but suggestions. If you think your Boss is still going to be boss you take his advice, if it works you get a permanent place at the table next season, if it doesn't you go down with his ship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
That line is going to be lit up by Leafs speed. Can't believe Staal cost a 3rd rounder.
The low risk Eric Staal trade has potentially high rewards

75 comments
The Canadiens just may have profited from the Buffalo fire sale.
By Scott Matla, Matt Drake, and David St-Louis Mar 27, 2021, 8:00am EDT

When examining the deal that sent Eric Staal to the Montreal Canadiens, there are two parts that we have to take into account: the price paid, and how his skills fit within the Canadiens roster. For now, let’s start with the role we expect Staal to take in Montreal, taking into account the potential uncertainty of both the schedule and the availability of Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Taking a look at Staal’s numbers this season, they’re not bad at all. When you consider that he put up these numbers on arguably the worst team in hockey, they’re actually quite encouraging. At just over 430 minutes at five-on-five this season, he has clocked in at 51.87% in terms of shots at goal share, so he has treaded water rather well on a team that is drowning.

His goal shares paint a harrowing picture, however. Despite an expected goals-for of 49.85%, he has seen only 27.59% of five-on-five goals going to his team while on the ice. Treading water unfortunately couldn’t help this Buffalo roster, as even the most prime version of himself likely would have struggled to do so. But what can he do on a stronger Canadiens roster?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

3rd and 5th BTW. I know we don't give two turtle dumps about a 5th, but evans is a 7th and we need all the help we can get given our draft and development issues.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
probably right , Bergevin controls absolutely everything in this org even the owner. Ducharme is a just a puppet for him.
Icing Staal for ''da playoff experience'' is probably the dumbest decision we had in 2 decades.

In no world KK should be bench for Staal even if KK struggle real hard. same goes for Caufield over Byron. Don't care if he had 1 good match against Edmonton. Those decisions are killing us.

But they will look like gods if they win game 1 because of them but still , it's not the best direction at all because none of those players will be back next season.

Same goes for Armia. Was on pace for a 28 points season playing powerplay and top 6 minutes once again. another player not in his chair that Caufield should be playing in instead. Another UFA that should not be re-signed and use that 2.7m more carefully.

Armia should be on the 4th line.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I would go a step further and say very likely. MB job is on the line and he choosing his path. Again i dont like it . but if it works i will applaud as there is nothing i want more then beating the leafs. And if it fails, i am on the line with the million fans calming for his his head on guillotine .

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
They will play them vs Thornton-Spezza-Edmunds.... same speed, I think.

Except for Andy.

5 sets of old tired legs, and Powerhorse runnin' around.

Now get Perry off early, and send in Byron.

Here they are, 2 on 0.

c939c7bfdae83f1490ae331f4b5b35b5054f64a6.gifv

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
On Staal, I get the selfishness to keep playing. I mean even if he is being paid a fraction of what he used to get, it's still huge money. And all the rest of it, being on a team with all the guys and all that commaraderie that goes with it. Perks like the nice hotels, flying around North America, and meals etc, and being a public figure.

Staal also probably thinks/ hopes he can have some moments where he does something special in a game.

"I'm all 'bout havin' a great tyyyyme boyz." -E. Staal

eric-staal-of-the-buffalo-sabres-poses-for-his-official-headshot-for-picture-id1295652825

Reactions: yianik

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
maybe he's just been trolling everyone all year... saving up his mojo for the playoffs...

i'm ready to bow down if he goes on a conn Smythe tear and leads us to the promised land.:bow:

pretty please...

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Same goes for Armia. Was on pace for a 28 points season playing powerplay and top 6 minutes once again.
Horseshit and horseshit. Btw, Armia produced more last season than Anderson this season, while having minute less EV+PP TOI. 7x5.5M minus-impact player lmao. And this organization was stupid enough to bury him in a small PK-role this season. Making sure he loses his confidence right from the get-go. Also making sure that he wont even think about making new contract here, which is awesome. Every dark cloud has silver lining.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->