Player Discussion Eric Staal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Really getting Staal was a nice try. I was on board. But once we have a couple of guys back bench him FFS, he’s done, totally cooked. I rarely trash any player but this one needs to sit for the playoffs if we have any hope.

Agreed. Worth the price to pay to see what he can provide for us but he's not doing much and I would have thought he would help on face offs and in the physicality areas. I don't see him winning key face-offs and I also see him loosing too much puck battles.

Staal should be used like Perry was at the start of the year. Depth role (in and out of games) and only gets a full time shot when if proves he can.

I rather have Byron play 4th line center than Staal

Reactions: dnl4ever

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Eric Staal put up 47 pts last season, his number were alright.

In saying that he should not be playing once we're healthy enough. I'm not mad he took a chance, but it's evident as day that it hasn't worked.
This is how I feel. I thought that him being bad this year was just because of Buffalo. Look at Hall for example, he's got 12 points in 15 games since leaving the Sabres... but Staal has been awful on both teams. Was a small risk that didn't pay off. He gets far too much ice time but that's on Ducharme and not Bergevin.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Who would you rather have: Eric Staal or Dwight King?

I'd rather MB not go out at the trade deadline and pick up players that actively make the team worse. He seems to be making progress, less high picks traded, better picks, mostly better trades. He doesn't seem to have worked out free agents/contracts, the salary cap, or trade deadline acquisitions.

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was 1/12 in the faceoff dot against TO. Why is this dude even in the lineup.

Let's hope we get healthy and Dom plays the best 12.

He's coaching for his job.

That it, let's hope the Oilers win the next two and the Flames beat the Canucks 4 straight.

Reactions: dnl4ever

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
He was 1/12 in the faceoff dot against TO. Why is this dude even in the lineup.

I agree that he shouldn’t be in the lineup and hopefully he’s not when the playoffs start (if the Habs make it) but if he’s healthy they can’t take him out now due to the recall situation. The only players that can come out are the emergency recalls such as Evans and Caufield.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Staal was finished and this is once again on the ineptitude of our pro scouting staff and our idiot GM who hired them. Why didn’t they go instead after Sam Bennett or Jeff Carter who were had for about the same price ? Utterly useless

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I've never been more disappointed with a player. For someone of his reputation he is absolutely a disgrace to the jersey. I don't say that lightly either because there have been some absolutely terrible players to lace up for the habs who I wouldn't consider a disgrace

Reactions: 1909 and dnl4ever

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I've never been more disappointed with a player. For someone of his reputation he is absolutely a disgrace to the jersey. I don't say that lightly either because there have been some absolutely terrible players to lace up for the habs who I wouldn't consider a disgrace

It was worth a try... But I'm still laughing at those who said he could EASILY take Danault's place in the lineup because he's a former 40 goal scorer and playing defense is easy.

Not easy to find humour here today, so at at least it's something...

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
It was worth a try... But I'm still laughing at those who said he could EASILY take Danault's place in the lineup because he's a former 40 goal scorer and playing defense is easy.

Not easy to find humour here today, so at at least it's something...
I don't hate the trade because it very much could have worked out and we needed centre depth. Everyone was just so bad in Buffalo and you definitely couldn't have known if it was decline or just being on such a bad Buffalo team. Turns out he was just part of the problem. Oh well.

I still have hope he might magically turn it around in the playoffs but he should be scratched when Danault is back

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kotkaniemi is terrible for Kotkaniemi's development right now as he is playing terribly and he's capable of doing a lot more.

Funny how Staal has been “terrible” for KKs development, yet Evans has elevated his game to new heights since the acquisition.

I'm hoping a rest does the trick for KK.

We saw him hit a wall last year. And rest helped.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Good point. Whole team needs a rest I’d say. Really do want KK to succeed, but then he goes and has games where he just looks terrible.

I think KK looks terrible offensively (and I believe he has a lot of potential as a two way player with good playmaking ability for a 2C position) but he is looking sharp defensively for a 20 year old center. Although as far as rest goes : KK has played 10 more games than everybody and in Finland.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Agreed. Worth the price to pay to see what he can provide for us but he's not doing much and I would have thought he would help on face offs and in the physicality areas. I don't see him winning key face-offs and I also see him loosing too much puck battles.

Staal should be used like Perry was at the start of the year. Depth role (in and out of games) and only gets a full time shot when if proves he can.

I rather have Byron play 4th line center than Staal
I'd rather have Byron's sister play than Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad