Player Discussion Eric Staal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs have lost speed, Skill since Staal arrived. He may have killed this team with his inability to play at this level. Coach seems reluctant to address it.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Habs have lost speed, Skill since Staal arrived. He may have killed this team with his inability to play at this level. Coach seems reluctant to address it.
Very reluctant. If play was on meritocracy, Evans has outplayed this guy badly since he's come back into the lineup.

I find him a black hole. Pucks go on his stick to die or to get turned over to the other team due to lack of speed.

Reactions: Tyson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Staal's last 16 games,

16-1-0-1 -11 playing between 9:44 and 17:15

i mean really... in any competent organization, he'd be a healthy scratch by now. Makes you wonder if DD wanted to do that but is being overruled by his boss?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
i mean really... in any competent organization, he'd be a healthy scratch by now. Makes you wonder if DD wanted to do that but is being overruled by his boss?

They can’t though because of the recall situation. Staal only can sit if he’s injured.

The big question for me is what Ducharme does in the playoffs if most of the players are healthy. Who sits then?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They can’t though because of the recall situation. Staal only can sit if he’s injured.

The big question for me is what Ducharme does in the playoffs if most of the players are healthy. Who sits then?

really? so even with Tatar returning we couldn't keep frolik in and sit Staal?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Never wished injury on a player but at this point we have no option because Ducharme is too much of an arrogant idiot to sit him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We already had one of those. Doesn't matter what we think either, coach sure doesn't seem to think he's a 4C.

For clarity I thought the trade was fine but it hasn't worked out. He's cooked.
Remember when we traded for Nate Thompson as a 4th line C? Staal is basically just a better version of that.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Remember when we traded for Nate Thompson as a 4th line C? Staal is basically just a better version of that.
Yeah that was a stupid trade too for the same reason. The coach did not agree that Nate Thompson was a 4th line C for the Canadiens, and Staal at 36 is even worse than Thompson was for us.

Again, I thought the trade was fine. I hoped he'd have something left in the tank because anything close to Minnesota Eric Staal would be an excellent add. It hasn't worked out, oh well.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah that was a stupid trade too for the same reason. The coach did not agree that Nate Thompson was a 4th line C for the Canadiens, and Staal at 36 is even worse than Thompson was for us.

Again, I thought the trade was fine. I hoped he'd have something left in the tank because anything close to Minnesota Eric Staal would be an excellent add. It hasn't worked out, oh well.
We were never getting a top 6 caliber Staal lol

he’s bottom 6 old man Staal. Big body, long stick, wins faceoffs, kills penalties...

Maybe can a big goal or two in the playoffs, but this wasn’t a move to add offence.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We were never getting a top 6 caliber Staal lol

he’s bottom 6 old man Staal. Big body, long stick, wins faceoffs, kills penalties...

Maybe can a big goal or two in the playoffs, but this wasn’t a move to add offence.

Very true, but fellow 2003 draft class Alum Jeff Carter has 8 goals in 13 games with the Penguins and was acquired for a pretty similar price.

I have liked Staal and Perry in the offensive end at times.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Very true, but fellow 2003 draft class Alum Jeff Carter has 8 goals in 13 games with the Penguins and was acquired for a pretty similar price.

I have liked Staal and Perry in the offensive end at times.
No doubt Carter looks like the better add at the moment.

Scaryprice

Nov 21, 2011
Seriously, staal has to sit. I really think he’d have a hard time in a Beerbohm league at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad