Player Discussion Eric Staal

Jul 6, 2016
[QUOTE="SakuKoivu11, post: 177382119, member: 288161"]Staal Weber and Perry bring leadership.
I don’t have a problem with Staal.
Don’t expect much. He’s 36-37.[/QUOTE]

Really ? Did not show much in the last half dozen games.

Staal should be waived. Just a waste of a third draft pick.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
[QUOTE="SakuKoivu11, post: 177382119, member: 288161"]Staal Weber and Perry bring leadership.
I don’t have a problem with Staal.
Don’t expect much. He’s 36-37.

Staal should be waived. Just a waste of a third draft pick.[/QUOTE]
I mean I don't disagree that he's been really bad, but maybe we wait a bit?

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007

He actually showed a lot, more than enough to know he's done. By bringing a washed up veteran, Bergevin gave his rookie interim coach a poisoned gift. Puting a future AOF that we just traded for in the press box isn't a easy thing to do for a rookie coach. Terrible move by the GM and his pro scout.

Reactions: hvac412

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Nobody from our scouts watched him before making that trade ? He's f***ing awful and I'm sure he was even worse in Buffalo...
In fairness, the easy takeaway was that Buffalo was such a tire fire that it was dragging everybody down. Whomever was traded out of there, Hall, Staal, whomever, I think most people felt the players would be a better on their new team, simply for getting out of that really terrible situation.

But the analogy with Dwight King is apt. Pro scouting or no, at some point the team should see clear evidence on its own roster that the new guy isn't any good. They didn't cut bait then and probably won't cut bait now even though the team is probably better off to sit Staal.

Locks

May 28, 2005
In fairness, the easy takeaway was that Buffalo was such a tire fire that it was dragging everybody down. Whomever was traded out of there, Hall, Staal, whomever, I think most people felt the players would be a better on their new team, simply for getting out of that really terrible situation.

But the analogy with Dwight King is apt. Pro scouting or no, at some point the team should see clear evidence on its own roster that the new guy isn't any good. They didn't cut bait then and probably won't cut bait now even though the team is probably better off to sit Staal.
Good point. Yes, the most annoying and unacceptable thing about D.King was not that they made an evaluation mistake not recognizing that the guy was done , it was a minor pick up, an expiring contract and for a small price. The wrong thing was that Julien continued to play the guy as if it was business as usual.

As for Staal, I was quite angry that they continued to use him while Evans sat until I learned about the recall limit problem - only one recall left. So it is not so much a question of salary cap - they apparently can fit both Evans and Cole once Primeau is sent down - but a single non-emergency recall left.

So the evaluation error was clearly made granted scouting Buffalo was a real challenge - Hall is better than a two goal forward - we don't know if they would still played Staal now if the recall barrier was not there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm willing to wait and see if he can turn it on in the playoffs or not. MB throws shit against the wall, sometimes he hits, other times you get Alzner, King, Martinsen, Semin, Schlemko, Kinkaid, Niemi, Peca, Streit, Logan Shaw, Davidson, Flynn, Ben Scribbles, John Scott, Victor Bartley, Matteau, Chaput, Froese, Lessio, Sekac, Bowman, Tangradi, Rene Bourque, Malhotra, Gilbert, Douglas Murray, Kaberle, etc...

Reactions: cujo1117

Jul 6, 2016
I'm willing to wait and see if he can turn it on in the playoffs or not. MB throws shit against the wall, sometimes he hits, other times you get Alzner, King, Martinsen, Semin, Schlemko, Kinkaid, Niemi, Peca, Streit, Logan Shaw, Davidson, Flynn, Ben Scribbles, John Scott, Victor Bartley, Matteau, Chaput, Froese, Lessio, Sekac, Bowman, Tangradi, Rene Bourque, Malhotra, Gilbert, Douglas Murray, Kaberle, etc...

Over a span of 9 years, that happens. Most of the GM's are making that type of mistakes and even worse.

We should never blame MB to sit on his hands and never make moves.

Reactions: frapp10

Jul 6, 2016
Good point. Yes, the most annoying and unacceptable thing about D.King was not that they made an evaluation mistake not recognizing that the guy was done , it was a minor pick up, an expiring contract and for a small price. The wrong thing was that Julien continued to play the guy as if it was business as usual.

As for Staal, I was quite angry that they continued to use him while Evans sat until I learned about the recall limit problem - only one recall left. So it is not so much a question of salary cap - they apparently can fit both Evans and Cole once Primeau is sent down - but a single non-emergency recall left.

So the evaluation error was clearly made granted scouting Buffalo was a real challenge - Hall is better than a two goal forward - we don't know if they would still played Staal now if the recall barrier was not there.

Derek King was on the down side of his carrer for sure, but the worst part was the fact that he did not want to play away from L.A. and never showed a heartbeat with the Habs.

Jul 6, 2016

I mean I don't disagree that he's been really bad, but maybe we wait a bit?[/QUOTE]

Habs must win games if they really want to play in the next Series. And Staal doesn't contribute at all to help them win. Him and Perry on the same line is a catastrophy. At least, we know Perry can contribute somehow.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Over a span of 9 years, that happens. Most of the GM's are making that type of mistakes and even worse.

We should never blame MB to sit on his hands and never make moves.

can't say I agree, I would be surprised if most GM's bring in say 30 players over the last 7 or so years and have most blow up in their face.

The problem isn't sitting on his hands, it's having no direction, vision or plan. It's making way too mistakes. He's done a lot of rearranging of the deck chairs with little success in building a team. The only good thing is that the cost has been very low, no 1st or 2nd round picks since they changed direction to building through the draft at least.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
That list is long and it's called terrible asset management wasting picks on these players.....

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
This is Eric Staal, a bottom 6 guy which the Habs paid a lot for. At 36, how much more can he bring? I think he is much better than the Lek, Armia and Byron combo.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His no pts and -8 in the last 7 games is impressive, only 1 of those 7 games was he not a minus. The good news is that his ice time has dropped from a high of 17:15 in his 2nd game to 10:15 last night (didn't see the game) The last 2 games he's been in the 10-11ish mins per game at least.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This is Eric Staal, a bottom 6 guy which the Habs paid a lot for. At 36, how much more can he bring? I think he is much better than the Lek, Armia and Byron combo.

Hopefully more than he has. He hasn’t been very good in a Habs’ jersey. He’s been on the ice for one goal for at even strength and 9 against. That’s pretty bad. He hasn’t created much other than his OT goal and a pass to Lehkonen out front last game. He looks slow and disinterested.

Reactions: montreal

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Hopefully more than he has. He hasn’t been very good in a Habs’ jersey. He’s been on the ice for one goal for at even strength and 9 against. That’s pretty bad. He hasn’t created much other than his OT goal and a pass to Lehkonen out front last game. He looks slow and disinterested.
He knows he is heading straight to free agency, so why should he care. Some other team will sign him to a one year minimum wage deal or he might be contemplating retirement after this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad