Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 56 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 20 5.6%

• Total voters

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Iginla vs Sennecke will be interesting to follow over the next couple years. The player with an elite tool, or the player with the more sophisticated game.

It's close IMO.
I can't help but think about how Craig Button always talks about how they knew Iggy was really good when they traded him but they had no idea he would develop in the HOF player he became. Tij is one of youngest in draft, perhaps he will also keep developing at an awesome pace.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
The NHL Combine coming up on June 2-8: (LECOM Harborcenter; Buffalo, N.Y.)

Updated height, weight, athletic performance and interviews will impact draft list but will it impact HuGo's top 5 rankings. I'm assuming the margin of difference between #2-10 is small enough that it will certainly be a key variable

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Updated height, weight, athletic performance and interviews will impact draft list but will it impact HuGo's top 5 rankings. I'm assuming the margin of difference between #2-10 is small enough that it will certainly be a key variable
Could help alleviate lingering doubts for players coming off injuries and/or who missed considerable time, if they are able to perform without limitations.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe because there were never any reports of Demidov having attitude concerns or being a bad teammate. These reports on Michkov were coming from sources outside Montreal media and fan base. I mean these concerns have been out there on players like Merkley, Connelly, Ribeiro, Downie, Kadri as well pre-draft and nobody in here got bent out of shape or accused anyone of character assassination if they discussed it in here.

From a hockey perspective, Demidov is viewed by many as a stronger skater and is more multi-dimensional than Michkov. One could argue that his game will translate better to the NHL. One could also argue that Michkov's starts in a stronger league are more indicative of success. We shall see in a few years.
147lbs played major role why Habs never took Michkov. On a team with Already several tiny players.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I can't help but think about how Craig Button always talks about how they knew Iggy was really good when they traded him but they had no idea he would develop in the HOF player he became. Tij is one of youngest in draft, perhaps he will also keep developing at an awesome pace.

Iggy was buried on one of the greatest WHL teams ever in Kamloops in his draft year. He exploded when he received top line ice time and PP time the following season in his D+1. If Jarome had the opportunities that Tij had in his draft year he may have went 1 OA. Different situation with Tij who already gets prime opportunities but I still really like the kid and how he has got better as the season progressed, especially with how young he is relative to his draft class. He won't be his father but he could be a perennial all star if everything falls into place.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Anton Silayev if he can produce can be a Chris Pronger type.
I know you said a Chris Pronger type and not a Chris Pronger but when he had his head in the game Chris Pronger was one of the top two or three d-men I've seen play. And I've been watching hockey since the mid-sixties. He had everything: Size, excellent skating, passing, defense, and nastiness.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Dickinson’s defense is very good so if his offense is just ok he can be a #1.
If London continues its relentless march to winning the Memorial Cup, Dickinson will probably go in the top 5 and certainly has a strong chance of being the first defenceman taken in this draft.

We could do far worse than taking this exceptional player at 5 OA. He’s a much better prospect than Mailloux.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

The physical doesn't impact rankings much early on, unless the kid/his agent has been lying about height/weight. It's more to have a data point to see how much growth the kids still has to do based on his body-size and current strength/height/weight.

Teams also looks at the endurance tests, but I doubt it impact drafting much since it usually match the eye test (kids with great motors = good endurance).

What really impact the rankings is the interview they do at the Combine, at least for the Habs. That's where they check how the kid respond to criticism, handle pressure and their compete level. In some cases, even if the kids want to play for them or not (Arizona did ask that question).

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
See above.
If Catton was closer to Caufield’s size I would agree with you.

But he’s 5”11, 175 pounds as an 18 year old. There’s no reason to think he can’t play pro at ~190 pounds which would make him pretty much an average sized NHL forward.

Not considering a forward with his skill and pedigree just because he’s slightly under sized as an 18 year old is silly.

Reactions: Rozz and Deebs

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
with #26 in the past years

2023 = Quentin Musty
2022 = Mesar
2021 = Lambos
2020 = Neighbours
2019 = Pelletier
2018 = Bernard-Docker
2017 = Oettinger
2016 = Tage Thompson

I mean we can land some decent players at that spot.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

But he’s 5”11, 175 pounds as an 18 year old. There’s no reason to think he can’t play pro at ~190 pounds which would make him pretty much an average sized NHL forward.

Not considering a forward with his skill and pedigree just because he’s slightly under sized as an 18 year old is silly.
Catton will be just fine in the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Probably looking at 5-7 players with 1-3 guys they really like. Combine helps them break the ties.

I was always curious about this... What if we have Iggy as our target and our management gets a vibe that he don't want to play for the Habs? Do you still take him?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Only two of the twenty four top six forwards left in the playoffs are sub-6 feet tall (Trochek and Stankhoven). Do we really need three in our top six?
I think that Catton will better than Caufield and a lot better than Newhook ..so we can draft him and trade a small one later..

Reactions: Rozz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on your roster building strategy. You could end up with a bunch of skilled guys like the Leafs and can't win in the playoffs. Skill is attractive as long as

I like Catton a lot but there are others that have his skill but have size. Catton to me is in the waive with Eiserman, Sennecke, Lindstrom. I have Iggy and Demidov in a waive ahead of them.

This draft has be very curious in terms of what a redraft looks like in 3-5 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that Catton will better than Caufield and a lot better than Newhook ..so we can draft him and trade a small one later..

Catton to me is like a Jarvis type on the Canes... maybe not the same style but similar value. Good top 6F. So IMO, he is not better than Caufield but he is better than Newhook. Thing is with Newhook, he has not reached his full potential yet. Could take Catton just as much time.

We should be shooting for top line forward. If we take Catton, it's because we think he is as good as someone like Marner.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I made this point earlier in the thread. He’s not much smaller than Iginla, evidenced in their fight. Yet one is deemed small and the other big. It’s odd.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Looking at the upcoming draft, we must ask ourselves what identity HuGo wants for the Habs.

Here are three clues:

1) The last two drafts their #1 picks were big, excellent skating players - both 6'3".
2) At their first draft they traded for a 6'4" centerman.
3) When the trade went through and Hughes called Dach what did he say to him? "Kirby, get ready to score a lot of goals."

The Habs want a fast, big, offensive team. That is the identity they're trying to build.

On defence they have what they want. All except for Savard are excellent skaters and even David is not a slouch. Again on defence, they're all big players except for Hutson and Harris. The defence lives up to their identity.

The forward corps has yet to live up to the identity they want to build. So I look for Lindstrom, Iginla or Sennecke to be our pick at the 5 spot. With Demidov the exception if he falls to us. And it wouldn't surprise me if the try to trade up to get 2 of those players.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

This week, his agency, Wasserman Hockey, is expected to deliver a pair of reports to NHL Central Scouting which outline everything they’ve gone through over the last several months. The reports will be made available to all 32 NHL clubs ahead of the upcoming Scouting Combine in Buffalo. One will be written by Lindstrom’s physiotherapist, Ryan Murray of the East Vancouver Sports and Rehabilitation Clinic. The other will be written by the doctor who has treated Lindstrom.

For those curious about Lindstrom's back injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad