Player Discussion Eric Staal

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'm from the same home town as Staal and am always pulling for him, he a good guy.

But he might be the worst player i've seen in the league this year.

It's a joke they have him on the power play. He looks like a guy who should be in the beer league back in Thunder Bay. He cant handle the puck and it looks like he's skating in quick sand.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Sad to say but at this point I feel like I want him to get injured. Nothing serious mind you just enough to miss the rest of the season.

That's where we've come to right now unfortunately. Bergy will not allow him to be benched. Can't make him look bad for trading for him when he and his pro scouts should have seen that Staal was finished.

So DD is stuck playing him when he's elready a lost cause at this point.

Hell, he left Buffalo and they started winning some games and playing better ffs.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Sad to say but at this point I feel like I want him to get injured. Nothing serious mind you just enough to miss the rest of the season.

That's where we've come to right now unfortunately. Bergy will not allow him to be benched. Can't make him look bad for trading for him when he and his pro scouts should have seen that Staal was finished.

So DD is stuck playing him when he's early a lost cause at this point.

He'll he left Buffalo and they started winning some games and playing better ffs.
But DD had every excuse not to play him the second game that was played in less than 24 hours. I fear that the Marx Brothers could, at this point, do a better job managing the fortunes of this team that the current management crew. They are hopelessly, if not laughably, inept. What is worse, that in the tradition of insuring linguistic purity and parochial privilege, the next GM will again be hired on a basis that places merit in a subsidiary position. Our march to continued mediocrity will continue.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But DD had every excuse not to play him the second game that was played in less than 24 hours. I fear that the Marx Brothers could, at this point, do a better job managing the fortunes of this team that the current management crew. They are hopelessly, if not laughably, inept. What is worse, that in the tradition of insuring linguistic purity and parochial privilege, the next GM will again be hired on a basis that places merit in a subsidiary position. Our march to continued mediocrity will continue.
Who was going to play 4C vs Sens? Byron? So they would’ve dressed 11-forwards?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The rest of this season doesn't matter. They're in the playoffs in an ideal situation as underdogs against their arch rivals. Staal knows this, all the vets do. Along with the coaching staff and management. The task is quite simple, step it up a hair against a team they've played pretty much dead even so far this season, in a playoff series. If they beat the Leafs the season automatically is a success. If they don't, where they are in the standings will have them drafting close to where they have the past two years. Not a bad consolation, considering they have a raft of draft picks still. If they win beyond the Leafs, it becomes a great season, even though their draft position drops.

There isn't any point in moving from the spot they are now in the standings. No home ice advantage to speak of. Going up or down even a notch, makes their situation worse. Staal led the Wild in playoff scoring last year, over a point per game. Look at the long game for a change.

it makes sense, we'll see how he does in the playoffs though, if he turns it around then great, if not then it was a waste of a 3rd and 5th.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
He needs to be called up w last recall, that would mean no Caufield, Poehling or anyone else for remainder of season, unless there’s an injury

The Habs (Bergevin) really screwed up their recalls. It’s put them in a tough situation.

Reactions: Walrus26

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Habs (Bergevin) really screwed up their recalls. It’s put them in a tough situation.

Bergy never graduated from high school, managing the cap must feel like working for SpaceX mission control for a putz like him.

Reactions: dcyhabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
it makes sense, we'll see how he does in the playoffs though, if he turns it around then great, if not then it was a waste of a 3rd and 5th.

He's played close to 10 games now, and it's not promising. If it gets to the point where he's still floundering like this at the end of the season, I really don't hold out any hope things would suddenly change in the playoffs (if they get there).

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
With two other picks in the third round, along with three in the fourth, it seems unlikely that the Habs would miss out on a targeted player, though. Once you get into that area of the draft teams aren't competing with each other to any extent. Half the time they're probably scratching their heads wondering who the hell the guy was who was taken just before their next pick. So it becomes more a case of total number of picks they're comfortable with. The 11 they have remaining is probably still too many.

As for Staal, they potentially have his services for half a season worth of highly critical games for 1/4 of his salary. About the equivalent of entry level wage. I would think his mere presence around the younger players in that sort of pressure situation, for a couple months, would justify the cost.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Bergy never graduated from high school, managing the cap must feel like working for SpaceX mission control for a putz like him.
Using a recall on ouellet is a firable offense. When he just placed mete on waivers, and all here know i think mete is a AHL material.
Just not waiting for a game or two is really fire able,

Reactions: yianik and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's played close to 10 games now, and it's not promising. If it gets to the point where he's still floundering like this at the end of the season, I really don't hold out any hope things would suddenly change in the playoffs (if they get there).

we should have a good idea by the end of this road trip, since those 3 games vs the Flames is huge. If they can split with the oilers and take 2 of 3 vs Flames then I think they get in. If they lose both oilers games but take 2 of 3 vs Flames then it will be much closer race especially if the flames win their next 2 vs the sens. If they only win 1 on this road trip then I don't think they get in as they have 4 vs the leafs which are tough ones to predict.

I wouldn't care much either way, if we don't make the playoffs there's hope MB gets fired and we get a better pick at the draft. If we make the playoffs hopefully with Gallagher back they beat the leafs as losing to them would make for a very long summer.

At this point I don't expect much from Staal but maybe he will get it going in the playoffs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
we should have a good idea by the end of this road trip, since those 3 games vs the Flames is huge. If they can split with the oilers and take 2 of 3 vs Flames then I think they get in. If they lose both oilers games but take 2 of 3 vs Flames then it will be much closer race especially if the flames win their next 2 vs the sens. If they only win 1 on this road trip then I don't think they get in as they have 4 vs the leafs which are tough ones to predict.

I wouldn't care much either way, if we don't make the playoffs there's hope MB gets fired and we get a better pick at the draft. If we make the playoffs hopefully with Gallagher back they beat the leafs as losing to them would make for a very long summer.

At this point I don't expect much from Staal but maybe he will get it going in the playoffs.

Just curious, who would be your ideal GM candidates for the habs (bilingual)? It's just hard for me to get excited one way or the other regarding a GM move.

Jul 6, 2016
Just curious, who would be your ideal GM candidates for the habs (bilingual)? It's just hard for me to get excited one way or the other regarding a GM move.

Martin Madden jr.

Patrick Roy

Matthieu Darche (assistant GM in TB)

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Using a recall on ouellet is a firable offense. When he just placed mete on waivers, and all here know i think mete is a AHL material.

He should have been fired after the Sergachev trade, and I could care less about the Subban departure I think that was a locker room move.

Reactions: montreal

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He should have been fired after the Sergachev trade, and I could care less about the Subban departure I think that was a locker room move.

Look trades some are won some are lost, but this is management 101, recalling ouellet is a mistake that i dont expect any excutive should make, he has enough advisors, reules expert not to make such a error. Trades are based on judgment, so i can accept he saw things others dont.
Rule mistake like this are not acceptable.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

that's a tough question. What I want most, likely more then anything Habs related is actually at the very top first. Molson must step down, f*** him, what the f*** does he know about being a president of the most storied franchise in NHL history and easily one of the biggest in all of sports. I f***ing hate that guy so much because he's either cheap, stupid or only cares about money. The fact that this asshole let MB run roughshod on him all these years, to make so many mistakes time and time again and then say well sure you can stick around to fix it. The issues with the Randy's and how he threw him under the bus for not speaking French, what an asshole. He showed to me his shitty beer was more important to him. Then you have the stupid f*** sending out a letter saying it could take up to 7 years for the rebuild and then less then 12 months later the rebuild is said to be over by him. What a clueless turd.

You get rid of the ass hat, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, put a REAL hockey president in charge and let the chips fall where they lay. Is his first move to fire MB, great, if not well f*** but if it's a good hire then I will trust his judgement. Whoever goes then so be it, whoever stays then so be it. Not saying I won't complain or find it hard to trust someone that would keep MB as GM but I would give some room just as I'm doing with the new coaching staff despite not likeing what I am seeing at all.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

That was just plain stupid. S-T-U-P-I-D.

Reactions: tazsub3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad