Player Discussion Eric Staal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
But that's the thing. He wins trades and moves. But we don't win as a team. Bergevin isn't playing in a fantasy hockey league. He's playing on a real one.

The guy is playing Poker at a table with very low limits with tons of success. But he's a joke as a high roller and is just unable to play a table with much higher limit.....We need the latter. We need to build a team. Not to win inconsequential trades.

Homegrown talent.

Make that a priority by securing the best scouting and development personnel you can get coupled with a GM who can competently manage the assets so generated, and you won’t need to try and win so many trades.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Sometimes players suffer pretty steep decline from one season to the next. He's not our saviour or anything...
Weber is a great example,what pisses me off is his arrogance in saying he would like to play more if given the opportunity,would love to see how he reacts to being put on a last pairing.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But that's the thing. He wins trades and moves. But we don't win as a team. Bergevin isn't playing in a fantasy hockey league. He's playing on a real one.

The guy is playing Poker at a table with very low limits with tons of success. But he's a joke as a high roller and is just unable to play a table with much higher limit.....We need the latter. We need to build a team. Not to win inconsequential trades.
Winning “inconsequential trades” goes part & parcel w team building - its one element of a multi-dimensional process of team building. Every successful team supplements their team building effort w asset acquisition via trades and/or UFA. It’s unrealistic to believe any team can fully build their team via internal system, trades or UFA - its a combination of all three but internal pipeline building is foundational

Tell Sam Pollock winning inconsequential trades didn’t matter. MBs failure during his tenure has simply been two fold:

- Missed strategic alignment: not identifying the changing landscape of the game brought on by pending concussion lawsuits post 2014. The game fundamentally changed 2-years into MBs tenure, Stevie Y having been working at NHL HQ had inside info of what was to come and took a chance going all in starting in 2010 w TBay (before any other team did)...the bet paid off

- Internal asset pipeline: building a pipeline of talent via amateur drafting & development

Ive maintained for a long time, Habs needed to take a page out of the Expos playbook, identify potential assets that can be salvaged from the scrap heap, and develop a process to cultivate them - hit rate could very well be 20-30% or less, but that’s still potentially a cheap asset to be had for a handful of years. Every cheap asset for any period of time counts in a cap world

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Lurk

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Homegrown talent.

Make that a priority by securing the best scouting and development personnel you can get coupled with a GM who can competently manage the assets so generated, and you won’t need to try and win so many trades.
If we revert to the Gauthier age, we'd already be a step ahead homegrown talent-wise. We had a steady stream of 4th liners in the pipeline then, with some variety, like Bournival, Ryan White, etc.

It's disturbing that Jake freaking Evans is our first decent-looking 4th liner in a while.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
You realize the Habs still have 11 picks in the draft, 8 in the first 4 rounds? They didn't even bother signing a bunch of picks from recent drafts because they didn't have roster spots available. If you want to stress about "wasted picks". If they used all 11 picks, they wouldn't end up signing half of them. The Leafs only have 6 picks in their next two drafts COMBINED. Montreal has at least 18.
The Leafs don't need picks.They have a stacked team making a cup run.We have what exactly?
Price 10 mil - done
Weber ? mil Done
Petry and Romanov Good
the rest of the D Garbage
KK and Suzuki Promising
Anderson,Tiffoli Good
Danault can't score Wants 7 mil See ya
Gallagher Done
Rest of the team 4th liners
If i forgot some ok but this team is going nowhere.It wouldn't surprise me if Calgary catches them for the final playoff spot although they aren't that good themselves.
Please get rid of Bergevin and give us some hope going forward.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If we revert to the Gauthier age, we'd already be a step ahead homegrown talent-wise. We had a steady stream of 4th liners in the pipeline then, with some variety, like Bournival, Ryan White, etc.

It's disturbing that Jake freaking Evans is our first decent-looking 4th liner in a while.
There was no steady stream, take a look at the 2012-2013 roster- Travis Moen had to play a significant 3rd line role because there were no W in the pipeline. 2008-2011 drafts were a huge black hole....only to be followed by 2012-2015.

Bournival was a trade acquisition, White a 2006 pick.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Even if Poehling can help the team, I want him working on the finer points of the center position in Laval. I doubt he's ready to be an NHL center. So, even practicing in Laval is better than being up here.

I kind of agree that having him in Laval is better, but giving him 2-3 games replacing a guy who isn’t performing can only do some good.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
The Leafs don't need picks.They have a stacked team making a cup run.We have what exactly?
Price 10 mil - done
Weber ? mil Done
Petry and Romanov Good
KK and Suzuki Promising
Anderson,Tiffoli Good
Gallagher Done
If i forgot some ok but this team is going nowhere.It wouldn't surprise me if Calgary catches them for the final playoff spot although they aren't that good themselves.
What happened when the pathetic Habs met the mighty Leafs last week? I think the season series between the two is about even. Laffs gearing for a playoff run, but so are about 20 other teams. As soon as a team is knocked out, the only thing to look forward to is the draft. Cupboard is bare for the boys in blue. Also, they have a couple players in their lineup older than anyone on Canadiens.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Doms problem right now is he is not holding players accountable. Who cares if they are vets, Staal (Not to mention Weber, Drouin, Suzuki etc..) should NOT be getting the minutes they are the way have been playing. This creates a message that nobody is accountable and why you see so many ho-hum shifts before slowly waddle back to the bench.

Reactions: Runner77 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Doms problem right now is he is not holding players accountable. Who cares if they are vets, Staal (Not to mention Weber, Drouin, Suzuki etc..) should NOT be getting the minutes they are the way have been playing. This creates a message that nobody is accountable and why you see so many ho-hum shifts before slowly waddle back to the bench.

That and it's hard to get much out of this roster minus Gallagher:

Reactions: abo9 and McGees

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Price 10 mil - done
Weber ? mil Done
Petry and Romanov Good
KK and Suzuki Promising
Anderson,Tiffoli Good
Gallagher Done
wouldn't say Gallagher is done but that contract will be awful soon.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Since 05/04/2021...

upload_2021-4-16_21-16-44.png

Reactions: 26Mats

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
...Heart & Soul of this team...said it 1000 times...he's the only one on this roster that deserves to wear Saku Koivu's number...
You mean Ryan Walter's number right?

Btw, the Staal experiment needs to end. I didn't mind the pickup... nothing to lose. But it's over. Sit him.

Reactions: 26Mats

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
You mean Ryan Walter's number right?

Btw, the Staal experiment needs to end. I didn't mind the pickup... nothing to lose. But it's over. Sit him.
Walter was great, no question, but it'll always be Saku's number to me...he was the Heart & Soul of this Franchise through a lot of tough years...and, I will freely admit, I cried like a damn baby when he came back after defeating cancer...

Reactions: Runner77

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Staal Weber and Perry bring leadership.
I don’t have a problem with Staal.
Don’t expect much. He’s 36-37.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad