Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Best case scenario with Staal, if we're out of it at the TDL, is a trade and handshake agreement to re-sign, assuming he really doesn't want to uproot again.

I d think rental Staal can fetch north of late 1st + 2x2nd easily. No brainer to sell, if we look like this at the TDL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just spit balling here... but I wonder out loud...

Spurgeon + Nino + 2020 1st for Nylander signed in the $6-7 mil range + Zaitsev. + Conditional 2020 1st

Spurgeon for Nylander is pretty self explanatory.

Now.. the 1sts... the main concern is Spurgeon not resigning. Basically this is Toronto's insurance policy, if Spurgeon doesn't resign. Minnesota (Top 10 protected, rolling to the next year protected if necessary) goes to Toronto, if Spurgeon resigns, Toronto sends their 1st to Minnesota)

Zaitsev for Nino... two players, not playing to their current contracts, contracts aren't too far apart in $ value, or term... Nino has more $, Zaitsev more term. Basically replaces the RW/RHD going out, with players on similar contracts, who perhaps need a change of scenery.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Problem is, contenders aren't going to offer "re-tool" pieces; they're going to offer "rebuild" pieces, which some in our fanbase has already declined multiple times in this thread. So I guess I don't really understand the point of this thread. Putting these names on the table is pretty much burning it down.
Not necessarily... Depends on what the return is. Here's an example: Spurgeon+Coyle for Kadri+Brown+1st. I will argue a trade like this makes both teams better. Toronto gets a 1st pairing RHD and a player that can fill the role Kadri plays. Minnesota gets a center that can score goals, a nice right handed winger, and a late 1st.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not necessarily... Depends on what the return is. Here's an example: Spurgeon+Coyle for Kadri+Brown+1st. I will argue a trade like this makes both teams better. Toronto gets a 1st pairing RHD and a player that can fill the role Kadri plays. Minnesota gets a center that can score goals, a nice right handed winger, and a late 1st.

And if I'm Toronto, I'm not touching the NHL roster right now, because they aren't the ones that need to shake anything. I offer picks and prospects and if we say 'no', then I'm cool with it because I'm sitting at 5-1 or 6-1 or whatever.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And if I'm Toronto, I'm not touching the NHL roster right now, because they aren't the ones that need to shake anything. I offer picks and prospects and if we say 'no', then I'm cool with it because I'm sitting at 5-1 or 6-1 or whatever.
Good thing there are 29 other teams in the league.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
29 other teams don't have a guy like Kadri sitting on their 3rd line as an "expendable" piece.
Certainly, but they might value one or multiple pieces in this thread. Hell, Nylander isn't exactly a terrible idea to discuss and that wouldn't effect Toronto currently anyways.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Just curious.... I'm not a fan of Coyle at all... I know it's a big swap, but what if you sent Staal instead of Coyle... what's your modification to your trade, that makes it happen?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just spit balling here... but I wonder out loud...

Spurgeon + Nino + 2020 1st for Nylander signed in the $6-7 mil range + Zaitsev. + Conditional 2020 1st

Spurgeon for Nylander is pretty self explanatory.

Now.. the 1sts... the main concern is Spurgeon not resigning. Basically this is Toronto's insurance policy, if Spurgeon doesn't resign. Minnesota (Top 10 protected, rolling to the next year protected if necessary) goes to Toronto, if Spurgeon resigns, Toronto sends their 1st to Minnesota)

Zaitsev for Nino... two players, not playing to their current contracts, contracts aren't too far apart in $ value, or term... Nino has more $, Zaitsev more term. Basically replaces the RW/RHD going out, with players on similar contracts, who perhaps need a change of scenery.
Opinions on this are going to differ among Wild fans, but I still can't see the sense in moving Spurgeon without getting a center back. I also strongly question whether or not Nylander really brings us anything we don't already sort of have. A 60-ish point winger making $6m-$7m that hasn't done much in the playoffs sounds pretty familiar. Obviously he's young and could blossom into more than that, but I don't think taking him away from Matthews and sticking him in Minnesota is really going to light his fuse.

Maybe he'll make me eat my words in 5 years, but I don't like him as a target for the Wild.

Reactions: bert

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Opinions on this are going to differ among Wild fans, but I still can't see the sense in moving Spurgeon without getting a center back. I also strongly question whether or not Nylander really brings us anything we don't already sort of have. A 60-ish point winger making $6m-$7m that hasn't done much in the playoffs sounds pretty familiar. Obviously he's young and could blossom into more than that, but I don't think taking him away from Matthews and sticking him in Minnesota is really going to light his fuse.

Maybe he'll make me eat my words in 5 years, but I don't like him as a target for the Wild.

Nylander has played well at C for us. He took over 600 Faceoffs last year, and played 20 games at C, quite well when Matthews went down. He also played C for Sweden at the World Hockey Championship well enough to be the MVP. Ability to play C, shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nylander has played well at C for us. He took over 600 Faceoffs last year, and played 20 games at C, quite well when Matthews went down. He also played C for Sweden at the World Hockey Championship well enough to be the MVP. Ability to play C, shouldn't be an issue IMO.
Still, he's done what he's done in the NHL largely as a wing. Granlund was a center from the time he was drafted up until about 2 years ago and he can play it, but I wouldn't call him a center. And I wouldn't expect anyone to trade for him as one.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just curious.... I'm not a fan of Coyle at all... I know it's a big swap, but what if you sent Staal instead of Coyle... what's your modification to your trade, that makes it happen?
How willing are you to include Nylander in a deal? We could re-work the entire thing as:
Spurgeon+Staal+????
for
Kadri+Nylander

???? - I have no clue what this would be. Don't take it as a big addition or a little addition.

Staal's value is very hard to gauge. He scored 42 goals last year, his cap hit is extremely cheap for what he provides, but he is in the last year of his deal. He would give Toronto 3 of the top 15 centers in the game (arguably).

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
How has Zacha looked this year?

Zacha looked great against the Oilers and Washington but he, along with his linemates Johansson and Noeson, looked lost against the Sharks.

But that's the issue. I don't think I'd be willing to give up what it would take to give for Niederreiter. If, and it is a IF, Zacha can put it together, he can be an extremely good second line C in this league. I think that at this point I'd rather roll the dice on that "if." I have high hopes for that line once Bratt returns.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Yeah I'd have no problem with him at C if the spot was open.

However a lot of these deals being thrown around I don't agree with.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
How about the Leafs people just leave? Nylander is 20+40 wing, which is technically worse than what Niederreiter can do in a year. Same amount of primary points on 5v5 too...

Nylander has his own thread in the front page, go chew there...

Corsica | Skater Stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad