Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Why does Minnesota trade us Spurgeon for spare parts?

I didn't say I'd move Nylander for Spurgeon straight-up but if we cannot sign him and December is creeping around the corner I'd certainly think about Spurgeon as a trade base.

I don't know, OP did start a "lets trade off our expiring vets and retool" type thread, spare parts aren't really a surprising offer. Ya know what is a surprising offer? Nylander, that's just brutal. A first and a decent prospect isn't a terrible offer, Nylander/Spurgeon is terrible.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Depending on Kapanen's play for the rest of the season, I'd be interested in him as a base for Spurgeon. If he's in the 50-60 point pace range around the TDL I'd be looking to add somewhere between a second and a first. Spurgeon is a great fit with the Leafs, but he would need to be 5 years younger to be a good fit in a Nylander trade.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
B/c the wild would want marner for dumba and that's a deal I dont want. Spurgeon is old and has a shorter contract. Brodin is lhd but we could either shift him to the right side or let rielly play right side with him. Him rielly should compliment each other very well and would be a great top pairing. I want Zucker as well since he would be a great l/w for Matthew's and I wouldnt deal nylander for brodin without a sizable add so some of the add could be considered going towards zucker with the difference being a piece the leafs add(which would be the worst of the pieces in the deal since nylnader has quite a bit more value than brodin).

Nylander for Dumba actually seems like a pretty fair trade now that you mention it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Typically if you are rebuild which OP is insinuating you are receiving more quantity than quality. Minnesota would not receive proper value in a 1-for-1 deal with Spurgeon right now.

Kessel definitely had more value than Spurgeon and that package is as much as the Kessel deal, for example.

Kindly see yourself out of this thread if all you’re going to do is offer half assed packages for players because you think we shouldn’t get fair value.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Always kind of wanted to get Niederreiter in a Devils sweater. Just not sure that's the move we need to be making at the moment, especially with Bratt looking good in the pre-season. A little too early.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Spurgeon had more term left on his deal he'd be a guy I'd move Nylander for.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Spurgeon had more term left on his deal he'd be a guy I'd move Nylander for.

Y’all are acting like Nylander even has a current contract or is willing to sign for less than 8M.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Kindly see yourself out of this thread if all you’re going to do is offer half assed packages for
players because you think we shouldn’t get fair value.

Fair value is what you get in a trade.

Not offering Nylander for a 29 year old who expires soon is not a half assed package. A 1st, a team's top forward prospect, and a 2nd/another forward prospect is not a half assed package. Expecting Nylander for Spurgeon is the only half assed move here.

Using Phil Kessel (With salary retained!) as a comparable, you don't get a comparable player 1 for 1 in these deals, they are ALWAYS quantity packages, unless the player is a younger RFA. Every time.

Late first, good forward prospect, 2nd round pick. That's about the same as a locked up long-term Phil Kessel with salary retained got, who's more valuable than Spurgeon.

The only thing half-assed here was your response. There's no need to be so rude.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Staal to calgary for frolik + Kylington (or any other prospect not named Dube)?

We don’t need Kylington without trading an LD first. As the primary piece in a return for Staal, it doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
We don’t need Kylington without trading an LD first. As the primary piece in a return for Staal, it doesn’t make sense.
Thanks for your reply- I honestly don't know what Minnesota's needs are, or what a fair price for Staal would be in a trade. I'm willing to offer something else, what would the main piece they'd look for be?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Y’all are acting like Nylander even has a current contract or is willing to sign for less than 8M.
He's an RFA, he's not going anywhere for like 6-7 years. He can want 8m, his value is between 6-7 and if he gets that, you could potentially have a 70-80 point winger locked up for 6-7 million.

Leafs don't have to move him, and if they do it'll be for someone with more term left on their deal than Spurgeon.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for your reply- I honestly don't know what Minnesota's needs are, or what a fair price for Staal would be in a trade. I'm willing to offer something else, what would the main piece they'd look for be?

I love Kylington and wouldn’t mind acquiring him, we just have Suter-Brodin-Seeler down the left already which is adequate.

Trading Staal would leave a huge hole down the middle for us, so ideally we’d get a C prospect or young C of some sort in return, but we could also put Coyle in the middle with Koivu if the winger we got back was enticing enough.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I love Kylington and wouldn’t mind acquiring him, we just have Suter-Brodin-Seeler down the left already which is adequate.

Trading Staal would leave a huge hole down the middle for us, so ideally we’d get a C prospect or young C of some sort in return, but we could also put Coyle in the middle with Koivu if the winger we got back was enticing enough.

I was sort of hoping Frolik might fill that void and Kylington would fill the value column.

The flames are pretty bare on prospects right now, so we could offer a 2nd or something instead? Klimchuk, Lazar, and Rychel are probably not what you are looking for.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota says **** you if we offer anything less than Nylander for Spurgeon.

Spurgeon is a reasonable starting point for a Nylander deal if we can't get him signed.
Exactly. MN would have to add something of worth( I.e. Kunin/Greenway/mid late 1st), but nothing major. A lot depends on what Nylander really wants in a contract. An 8 M dollar contract would make him the highest paid player on the Wild, giving him 2M/yr more than Dumba, who just signed a contract for this year. Does anyone really think that Nylander is worth more than Dumba?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I was sort of hoping Frolik might fill that void and Kylington would fill the value column.

The flames are pretty bare on prospects right now, so we could offer a 2nd or something instead? Klimchuk, Lazar, and Rychel are probably not what you are looking for.

Alternately, we could talk Jankowski as he's been forced out of our lineup, but he's a young centre with size. I think the Flames would ask for a small add because Staal is a ufa and janko has team control still.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Leafs would be in on Spurgeon, 1st would be on the table but Kapanen (And obviously Nylander) would not.

1st, Johnsson, then either another mid round pick or a non-Liljegren/Sandin prospect is probably about as high as I could see them going for Spurgeon.

Don't know if they could reach a deal without Kapanen though I might guess, who is a big no to trading for the Leafs right now. Spurgeon is really good and you gotta give to get.

Johnsson is to old, stop using him as prospect, he is soon 24 years old. he is not a good piece for rebuilding team....

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I like Necas but he isn’t cutting it right now. I’d do Coyle to play as the 4th line center. Expensive contract but I cannot imagine he’d be expensive to acquire.

Decent FO%, hits dudes, blocks shots. He would fit pretty good between McGinn and big Z.

I’d want to know Rask’s expected return time frame before i made the move.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I bet you Poehling would be a popular ask from Wild fans
I don't see any brilliance from Poehling, or anything even close. He's Trent Frederic, at best. We're going to trade a Dman who has been a top 4 guy since he was 19 for a prospect who has proven nothing?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Necas but he isn’t cutting it right now. I’d do Coyle to play as the 4th line center. Expensive contract but I cannot imagine he’d be expensive to acquire.

Decent FO%, hits dudes, blocks shots. He would fit pretty good between McGinn and big Z.

I’d want to know Rask’s expected return time frame before i made the move.
Coyle is not a 4 th liner.

Reactions: JackFr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad