Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hasn’t really been a fun start to the season in Minnesota. What could these players return in a trade individually or as a package deal for some of these players?

Minnesota’s needs:
-fast, skilled forwards
-youngish top 6 Center
-right handed forwards
-1st round draft picks
-top prospects

Any deals out there?

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Leafs would be in on Spurgeon, 1st would be on the table but Kapanen (And obviously Nylander) would not.

1st, Johnsson, then either another mid round pick or a non-Liljegren/Sandin prospect is probably about as high as I could see them going for Spurgeon.

Don't know if they could reach a deal without Kapanen though I might guess, who is a big no to trading for the Leafs right now. Spurgeon is really good and you gotta give to get.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Steal would be a perfect TDL pickup for a Cup contender lacking C strength. Since he has a tiny, expiring contract, most teams could afford him. What he's worth depends on how he produces this year. If it's anything close to what he has done in the previous two years then it would be a nice, but not huge, haul.

member 157595

Leafs would be in on Spurgeon, 1st would be on the table but Kapanen (And obviously Nylander) would not.

1st, Johnsson, then either another mid round pick or a non-Liljegren/Sandin prospect is probably about as high as I could see them going for Spurgeon.

Don't know if they could reach a deal without Kapanen though I might guess, who is a big no to trading for the Leafs right now. Spurgeon is really good.

Minnesota says f*** you if we offer anything less than Nylander for Spurgeon.

Spurgeon is a reasonable starting point for a Nylander deal if we can't get him signed.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Minnesota says **** you if we offer anything less than Nylander for Spurgeon.

Spurgeon is a reasonable starting point for a Nylander deal if we can't get him signed.

lol, Nylander's not getting moved for a 29 year old who expires the year after this one.

Spurgeon is a great player but age and contract does not give him the value to pull a Nylander. I guarantee if he gets traded he doesn't fetch a player of that caliber.

So no, Spurgeon is not a reasonable starting point for Nylander. Unless you're name is Peter Chiarelli.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I heard Jared is the best one though
Been there done that!
New+York+Rangers+v+Carolina+Hurricanes+_vUO5Ba-2LAl.jpg

Reactions: MC2D and OmniCube

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
lol, Nylander's not getting moved for a 29 year old who expires the year after this one.

Spurgeon is a great player but age and contract does not give him the value to pull a Nylander. I guarantee if he gets traded he doesn't fetch a player of that caliber.

So no, Spurgeon is not a reasonable starting point for Nylander. Unless you're name is Peter Chiarelli.

Spurgeon also isn't going to be moved for a late 1st, Johnsson and a small add.

Reactions: Grabner

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Pens could really use a versatile two way forward to plug on RW with Sid or shore up our LW since quality drops off heavily there after Guentzel.

You don't need or likely want Maatta. Don't have a center to give up. Sprong and a 1st for cap retention or some type of cap dump savings in the deal would get me interested.

member 157595

Why does Minnesota trade us Spurgeon for spare parts?

I didn't say I'd move Nylander for Spurgeon straight-up but if we cannot sign him and December is creeping around the corner I'd certainly think about Spurgeon as a trade base.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why would you want to trade Nylander for a LD?

B/c the wild would want marner for dumba and that's a deal I dont want. Spurgeon is old and has a shorter contract. Brodin is lhd but we could either shift him to the right side or let rielly play right side with him. Him rielly should compliment each other very well and would be a great top pairing. I want Zucker as well since he would be a great l/w for Matthew's and I wouldnt deal nylander for brodin without a sizable add so some of the add could be considered going towards zucker with the difference being a piece the leafs add(which would be the worst of the pieces in the deal since nylnader has quite a bit more value than brodin).

member 157595

B/c the wild would want marner for dumba and that's a deal I dont want. Spurgeon is old and has a shorter contract. Brodin is lhd but we could either shift him to the right side or let rielly play right side with him. Him rielly should compliment each other very well and would be a great top pairing. I want Zucker as well since he would be a great l/w for Matthew's and I wouldnt deal nylander for brodin without a sizable add so some of the add could be considered going towards zucker with the difference being a piece the leafs add(which would be the worst of the pieces in the deal since nylnader has quite a bit more value than brodin).

Brodin does apparently play well on the right side even though he's left-handed. You may be on to something.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Spurgeon also isn't going to be moved for a late 1st, Johnsson and a small add.

I literally said as much in my post, didn't you read it?

Realistically the middle ground is switching in Kapanen for Johnsson, but again, Leafs can't do that, and really probably shouldn't, again only due to age/cap/contract as Spurgeon is a great RHD.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Why does Minnesota trade us Spurgeon for spare parts?

I didn't say I'd move Nylander for Spurgeon straight-up but if we cannot sign him and December is creeping around the corner I'd certainly think about Spurgeon as a trade base.

Typically if you are rebuild which OP is insinuating you are receiving more quantity than quality. Minnesota would not receive proper value in a 1-for-1 deal with Spurgeon right now.

Kessel definitely had more value than Spurgeon and that package is as much as the Kessel deal, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad