Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Frederic and Poehling are nothing similiar. Poehling has quite a higher upside than Frederic.
You might feel that, but stats say differently. Similar size, almost exact same production on similar college teams...Frederic actually has the slight edge there. There is no evidence of Poehling having higher upside than Frederic.

I've watched them both. Poehling grew up around here. Thought Frederic was a bit underrated, and Poehling fairly rated at their respective drafts. Nothing about either of them stands out, but they have good all round games.

Would like to have either player on MN, but wouldn't be prepared to pay a ton for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
"We don't want your frickin William Nylander. Not even for Spurgeon."

-The United Front of Wild Nation 2018
Getting back to actual discussion instead of the weird reality tunnel this thread just slipped through: Nylander would be a great addition to the Wild, but he's likely to command a price that we should be using to acquire a center. I get that some Leafs fans have a lot of confidence in his ability to be a top-6 center in the NHL, but the view's less certain outside of Toronto. There's also the question of his contract and how that's all going to play out. I realize it'll get done eventually and he's not going to get $8m, but until they have something in writing it's hard to consider him a valid trade target at all.

Anyway, I've said before that the Wild would have to add if the deal was around Spurgeon and Nylander, even if it's just to compensate for the age difference. But realistically Toronto would probably target someone younger and Minnesota would (or should, in my mind) want a center; it doesn't line up for either team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why has this thread turned into Nylander XXI? There are other teams out there besides the TML. Some even have players who have scored more than 21 goals in a year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I literally said as much in my post, didn't you read it?

Realistically the middle ground is switching in Kapanen for Johnsson, but again, Leafs can't do that, and really probably shouldn't, again only due to age/cap/contract as Spurgeon is a great RHD.
A month ago Kapanen and Carrick were involved in every single trade offer made around here. Then Carrick goes for a conditional 7th, and Kapanen is suddenly off the board for a top 4 RHD?

Seriously, every leaf proposal involves another teams proven talent, and a bunch of throw ins from TO, until they wind up being traded for nothing. You act like a guy being 29 means he's on his way out of the league in a year or two.

Eventually you have to trade talent to get talent, and the leafs can only hope they'd be lucky enough to land Spurgeon for Kap.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Hasn’t really been a fun start to the season in Minnesota. What could these players return in a trade individually or as a package deal for some of these players?

Minnesota’s needs:
-fast, skilled forwards
-youngish top 6 Center
-right handed forwards
-1st round draft picks
-top prospects

Any deals out there?

you're not getting any of those for any of those players.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
you're not getting any of those for any of those players.
This is inane.

A floundering, rental Eric Staal was traded for two 2nds in 2016. In the two full seasons since then he's put up 70 goals and 141 points. 1st + prospect is a pretty conservative rental price for a center like that.

Spurgeon's got a year left on his deal and isn't likely to be difficult to extend. He wouldn't be a hard one to sell for a 1st, either.

Coyle and Nino are question marks. I agree that it'd be tricky to get an appealing return on either right now.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
There are other teams out there besides the TML.

original.gif

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mirtle mentioned Spurgeon over this past off-season as a defenseman the Leafs likely would have lot's of interest in. It makes a lot of sense.

The return would likely be strictly pick(s) and prospect(s) though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Mirtle mentioned Spurgeon over this past off-season as a defenseman the Leafs likely would have lot's of interest in. It makes a lot of sense.

The return would likely be strictly pick(s) and prospect(s) though.
A late (possibly very late) 1st isn't all that tempting, and a prospect would have to be quite a bit more appealing than anything Toronto fans likely have in mind here. If we're just looking to grab some extra picks there are less detrimental ways to do that (like Staal at the deadline). It's not like Spurgeon's being pushed out by anything.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A late (possibly very late) 1st isn't all that tempting, and a prospect would have to be quite a bit more appealing than anything Toronto fans likely have in mind here. If we're just looking to grab some extra picks there are less detrimental ways to do that (like Staal at the deadline). It's not like Spurgeon's being pushed out by anything.

That's fine, I'm just saying that this would likely be the Leafs attempt at loading up. Perhaps a good young player like Johnsson is in this kind of trade though, I don't know. Maybe the trade looks more like the McDonagh trade.

Either way, if a futures oriented trade isn't what the Wild want for a defenseman with 1 year left on his deal and they want a "hockey trade" --- I'm not sure you'll get that from many teams going for him at this time of the year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's fine, I'm just saying that this would likely be the Leafs attempt at loading up. Perhaps a good young player like Johnsson is in this kind of trade though, I don't know. Maybe the trade looks more like the McDonagh trade.

Either way, if a future oriented trade isn't what the Wild want for a defenseman with 1 year left on his deal and they want a "hockey trade" --- I'm not sure you'll get that from many teams going for him.
Agreed on the last point. If something was to happen it probably would've happened over the summer. The stars can align quickly with "hockey trades" like that, but I wouldn't really bet on it. I'm cool with keeping him, extending him, and eventually moving Brodin if the blueline gets too expensive.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad