Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Fair value is what you get in a trade.

Not offering Nylander for a 29 year old who expires soon is not a half assed package. A 1st, a team's top forward prospect, and a 2nd/another forward prospect is not a half assed package. Expecting Nylander for Spurgeon is the only half assed move here.

Using Phil Kessel (With salary retained!) as a comparable, you don't get a comparable player 1 for 1 in these deals, they are ALWAYS quantity packages, unless the player is a younger RFA. Every time.

Late first, good forward prospect, 2nd round pick. That's about the same as a locked up long-term Phil Kessel with salary retained got, who's more valuable than Spurgeon.

The only thing half-assed here was your response. There's no need to be so rude.

So Sandin or Liljegren + a second round pick (+ first if they pick Sandin)

I think WIlds atleast thinks about it.

member 157595

Exactly. MN would have to add something of worth( I.e. Kunin/Greenway/mid late 1st), but nothing major. A lot depends on what Nylander really wants in a contract. An 8 M dollar contract would make him the highest paid player on the Wild, giving him 2M/yr than Dumba, who just signed a contract for this year. Does anyone really think that Nylander is worth more than Dumba?

As others have touched upon, it's Spurgeon's relative lack of term that gives me pause here. However, if Nylander really is demanding $8M+ on a long-term deal (I doubt that, that's a pretty hilarious overpayment and one we definitely cannot even close to afford) I'd have to consider some options.

What I do know is that I have absolutely no interest in moving even an unsigned Nylander for spare parts. I don't know how, or if, that involves the Wild.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Exactly. MN would have to add something of worth( I.e. Kunin/Greenway/mid late 1st), but nothing major. A lot depends on what Nylander really wants in a contract. An 8 M dollar contract would make him the highest paid player on the Wild, giving him 2M/yr more than Dumba, who just signed a contract for this year. Does anyone really think that Nylander is worth more than Dumba?

There's simply no world where Spurgeon fetches Nylander, or any young stud first line forward, in a trade.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see any brilliance from Poehling, or anything even close. He's Trent Frederic, at best. We're going to trade a Dman who has been a top 4 guy since he was 19 for a prospect who has proven nothing?

I didn’t say I agreed with asking for him. I’m also stumped as to why some here love him so much. I just know some do love him.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

That could be another middle ground as well,

Liljegren I can't really see them parting with but if they wanted Sandin instead of Johnsson in that earlier package it would be feasable, just didn't fit what OP was asking for

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If canes are in the playoff hunt at the deadline i would not mind having Staal back as a rental.
What would you offer for Staal?
Typically if you are rebuild which OP is insinuating you are receiving more quantity than quality. Minnesota would not receive proper value in a 1-for-1 deal with Spurgeon right now.

Kessel definitely had more value than Spurgeon and that package is as much as the Kessel deal, for example.
Not rebuilding. Retooling. The Leafs were going into a rebuild.
Always kind of wanted to get Niederreiter in a Devils sweater. Just not sure that's the move we need to be making at the moment, especially with Bratt looking good in the pre-season. A little too early.
How has Zacha looked this year?
He's an RFA, he's not going anywhere for like 6-7 years. He can want 8m, his value is between 6-7 and if he gets that, you could potentially have a 70-80 point winger locked up for 6-7 million.

Leafs don't have to move him, and if they do it'll be for someone with more term left on their deal than Spurgeon.
I absolutely love reading this line... Pretty much just stated why Nylander should want $8m/yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

member 157595

There's simply no world where Spurgeon fetches Nylander, or any young stud first line forward, in a trade.

Maybe not, but if no one's giving them any good offers, they have no reason to trade him in the first place.

Good defensemen, particularly those that are right-handed, often cost a premium in trade.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Maybe not, but if no one's giving them any good offers, they have no reason to trade him in the first place.

Good defensemen, particularly those that are right-handed, often cost a premium in trade.

Of course they don't, but that defeats the purpose of OPs thread asking what people will offer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Liljegren I can't really see them parting with but if they wanted Sandin instead of Johnsson in that earlier package it would be feasable, just didn't fit what OP was asking for
Don't know what the thinking is up there( actually I do, lived in the GTA for close to 20 years) but a top pairing Dma such as Spurgeon is worth more than a d prospect who has proved NOTHING in the NHL.
Let's move on from the Nylander talk. There is the odd sensible poster, then there is the rest from Leaf's nation....

Reactions: gwh

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

For Spurgeon? I doubt it.

He's a great defenseman on a reasonable contract and probably isn't going to be all that hard to extend. I think they could stomach trading him, but the only reason to do it is if they're solving one of their real problems, primarily at center. Liljegren/Sandin doesn't do that.

member 157595

Of course they don't, but that defeats the purpose of OPs thread asking what people will offer

Fair enough.

If Minnesota is burning it down (which I doubt) they'd definitely field offers for Spurgeon. Contenders would love to have him. If they're not rebuilding then I think he shouldn't be made available barring an overpayment; good RHD's are so hard to find.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Don't know what the thinking is up there( actually I do, lived in the GTA for close to 20 years) but a top pairing Dma such as Spurgeon is worth more than a d prospect who has proved NOTHING in the NHL.
Let's move on from the Nylander talk. There is the odd sensible poster, then there is the rest from Leaf's nation....

The fact of the matter is future value, age, length of control are all significant factors in trade value.

I never said Liljegren 1 for 1, but with a first and another pick/prospect included. Liljegren is no dice.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fair enough.

If Minnesota is burning it down (which I doubt) they'd definitely field offers for Spurgeon. Contenders would love to have him. If they're not rebuilding then I think he shouldn't be made available barring an overpayment; good RHD's are so hard to find.

Problem is, contenders aren't going to offer "re-tool" pieces; they're going to offer "rebuild" pieces, which some in our fanbase has already declined multiple times in this thread. So I guess I don't really understand the point of this thread. Putting these names on the table is pretty much burning it down.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Only way I can see Leafs land him, they dont have any sexy forward prosoects

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
I'm definitely not insulted by Liljegren + other prospect + 1st.

Liljegren/Kapanen are the hang ups on a potential deal though.

Leafs won't be willing to give either up mostly because of Spurgeon being 29 and looming UFA status. Spurgeon is very good but if they're trading one of these guys in a package they will be aiming for someone younger/with more control.

And then it becomes Sandin or Johnsson which Wild fans don't/won't like as I said which is why I think a potential deal would fall through

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Problem is, contenders aren't going to offer "re-tool" pieces; they're going to offer "rebuild" pieces, which some in our fanbase has already declined multiple times in this thread. So I guess I don't really understand the point of this thread. Putting these names on the table is pretty much burning it down.

You put the point I was trying to make in this thread a lot more concisely, look at Kessel, he was locked up long term and retained on and he didn't get what these people itt are asking for. Because if contending teams are the teams that want these players, they aren't going to give up the players that, you know, are important for them contending.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Agreed, though I think Staal might be an exception. If we're out of the playoff picture or Fenton is leaning toward not extending him, selling him at the deadline makes a lot of sense regardless. He'd need to have some other plan for center going forward, but that's a whole other discussion.

member 157595

I agree with you. Moving Spurgeon doesn't make much sense for the Wild unless they're rebuilding (which I doubt) or a team overpays (a la Nylander).

That said, while fans of a team obviously know much more about said team than outsiders, I doubt their trade demands have any bearing on reality (not directing that toward the Wild, that goes for everyone).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Liljegren/Kapanen are the hang ups on a potential deal though.

Leafs won't be willing to give either up mostly because of Spurgeon being 29 and looming UFA status. Spurgeon is very good but if they're trading one of these guys in a package they will be aiming for someone younger/with more control.

And then it becomes Sandin or Johnsson which Wild fans don't/won't like as I said which is why I think a potential deal would fall through

Considering where Toronto currently is, and what their aspirations are, it seems weird to me the they would hold up a deal to get a player of Spurgeon's caliber. Speaking more to Liljegren than Kapanen here, but both still sort of apply.

Reactions: Myyrynen

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Agreed, though I think Staal might be an exception. If we're out of the playoff picture or Fenton is leaning toward not extending him, selling him at the deadline makes a lot of sense regardless. He'd need to have some other plan for center going forward, but that's a whole other discussion.

Best case scenario with Staal, if we're out of it at the TDL, is a trade and handshake agreement to re-sign, assuming he really doesn't want to uproot again.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Considering where Toronto currently is, and what their aspirations are, it seems weird to me the they would hold up a deal to get a player of Spurgeon's caliber.

Kyle Dubas is about the furthest thing from an impatient GM you could imagine. He wants us to be dominant for a decade, he's not just focused on the now. He's not a GM who will mortgage the future. He's very progressive too so you know he puts extreme value (Even as far as win now goes) on entry level contracts who can perform at a high level.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
The problem with "what would you give for..." threads on HF - thread is instantly swarmed by Leafs Fanboys and gets derailed. Best thing to do is ignore Leafs fans on these threads and deal with other teams. I have not read this thread but I'll bet you dollars to donuts I'm right.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The problem with "what would you give for..." threads on HF - thread is instantly swarmed by Leafs Fanboys and gets derailed. Best thing to do is ignore Leafs fans on these threads and deal with other teams. I have not read this thread but I'll bet you dollars to donuts I'm right.

Impeccably so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad