Value of: Eric Staal, Jared Spurgeon, Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How about the Leafs people just leave? Nylander is 20+40 wing, which is technically worse than what Niederreiter can do in a year. Same amount of primary points on 5v5 too...

Nylander has his own thread in the front page, go chew there...

He's a 20/21 year old 20+40 wing, and as of now, Nino's 57 point season is the exception, not the rule.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How willing are you to include Nylander in a deal? We could re-work the entire thing as:
Spurgeon+Staal+????
for
Kadri+Nylander

???? - I have no clue what this would be. Don't take it as a big addition or a little addition.

Staal's value is very hard to gauge. He scored 42 goals last year, his cap hit is extremely cheap for what he provides, but he is in the last year of his deal. He would give Toronto 3 of the top 15 centers in the game (arguably).

I was thinking of the previous deal you had posted.. and adding to that, to get equivalent value.

It was Spurgeon + Coyle for Kadri + Brown + 1st.

Taking Coyle out....

Kadri + 1st is a bit rich for Spurgeon on his own.... Maybe Kadri + 1/2 of the first.

Staal is probably worth about a first on his own... so... maybe a 1st + 2nd... I don't know.

Kadri + Brown + 1st... then whatever it takes to make up the difference between Coyle and Staal as a rental.... I'm not sure what that is. Brown is maybe worth a second... I'm guessing a second and a mid range prospect covers the difference there.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How's Staal looking this year notably speed/agility, defensively and playmaking wise? I know he plays with Zucker who is a burner so it's not like he's unfamiliar with fast players, but just wondering on his game as an individual.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon and Staal to Toronto for Nylander and a 2019 2nd would work for me, not sure about anyone else.
So, TOR gets another #1C? Kind of ridiculous, no? TOR, together with PIT, and TB, aRe one of the few contending teams that couldn't use Staal. If you're not giving him top minutes and PP time then you are wasting him. He also is not good at playing wing.

All this is beside tHe value in the proposed deal, which isn't good.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No way we're sending you Pulju unless we get Zucker back.
As a fan of both teams, I don't have the slightest idea as to how you could say Pulj has anywhere near Zucker's value.
I was thinking of the previous deal you had posted.. and adding to that, to get equivalent value.

It was Spurgeon + Coyle for Kadri + Brown + 1st.

Taking Coyle out....

Kadri + 1st is a bit rich for Spurgeon on his own.... Maybe Kadri + 1/2 of the first.

Staal is probably worth about a first on his own... so... maybe a 1st + 2nd... I don't know.

Kadri + Brown + 1st... then whatever it takes to make up the difference between Coyle and Staal as a rental.... I'm not sure what that is. Brown is maybe worth a second... I'm guessing a second and a mid range prospect covers the difference there.
Well my thinking was Spurgeon = Kadri, but Toronto fans have said in the past they don't really have a third line center to replace him so that's why I included Coyle in the original proposal. Staal seems like extreme overkill for your 3rd line center and I definitely would not try him as a winger (See: his time as a NYR).

I don't have enough of an understanding on Toronto's organization to know how they value players besides big namers.

So you propose Kadri+Brown+1st+2nd+B-C prospect for Spurgeon+Staal? I think I would agree to that trade.

Then the lines for each team change as follows:
Zucker-Kadri-Granlund
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Eriksson Ek-Brown
Foligno-Fehr-Brown/Hendricks

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Lindholm-Staal-Johnsson
Leivo-Gauthier-Ennis

Rielly-Spurgeon
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Would you add the rights to Kaprizov?
Ha, no. That's one mystery box I refuse to trade away. Way too much potential there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fogelhund

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
He's a 20/21 year old 20+40 wing, and as of now, Nino's 57 point season is the exception, not the rule.

Good thing he whoops Willie on every stat category on 5v5, outside 2nd assists. Didn't check the PP.

Willie got the age benefit, but he is hardly the future multiallstar TOR fans seem to think he might become. Just poorly defending Granlund with an upside at this point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How about the Leafs people just leave? Nylander is 20+40 wing, which is technically worse than what Niederreiter can do in a year. Same amount of primary points on 5v5 too...

Nylander has his own thread in the front page, go chew there...

Corsica | Skater Stats

I thought Nino was a great draft pick, and a prospect that I had very high hopes for. Your comparison falls very far from the mark.

Your comparison is disingenuous at best. Comparing Nylander's first two years in the NHL, and his 3rd and 4th post draft, to Nino's 4th and 5th year in the NHL, 7th and 8th year post draft.

You want to compare them, compare their 3rd and 4th post draft years (I will go 4th and 5th for Nino given lockout). Nylander had 122 points in the NHL, Nino had 73 points.

Nino did have that one great year, but has primarily been a 30's-40's points scorer, and has been trending down, with a poor start this year... to be frank, if you have a 30ish points player again this year, at $5.25 million, you are approaching cap dump status.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I thought Nino was a great draft pick, and a prospect that I had very high hopes for. Your comparison falls very far from the mark.

Your comparison is disingenuous at best. Comparing Nylander's first two years in the NHL, and his 3rd and 4th post draft, to Nino's 4th and 5th year in the NHL, 7th and 8th year post draft.

You want to compare them, compare their 3rd and 4th post draft years (I will go 4th and 5th for Nino given lockout). Nylander had 122 points in the NHL, Nino had 73 points.

Nino did have that one great year, but has primarily been a 30's-40's points scorer, and has been trending down, with a poor start this year... to be frank, if you have a 30ish points player again this year, at $5.25 million, you are approaching cap dump status.
To be fair, Nino also didn't get to play with an Auston Matthews level player right from essentially the start of his NHL career.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

He ll do 2.7 goals / 60 like every year.

That would 21st best in the league for last 2 season average. The rankings surrounding "the cap dump" for 5v5 goals per 60. Players over 1500minutes.

18JOHNNY.GAUDREAU2016-2018
19EVGENI.MALKIN2016-2018
20JEFF.SKINNER2016-2018
21NINO.NIEDERREITER2016-2018
22ALEKSANDER.BARKOV2016-2018
23JAMES.VAN RIEMSDYK2016-2018
24PATRIC.HORNQVIST
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

P.S. He also has the best relative corsi in the whole league for forwards, if you believe in that voodoo instead.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
As a fan of both teams, I don't have the slightest idea as to how you could say Pulj has anywhere near Zucker's value.

Well my thinking was Spurgeon = Kadri, but Toronto fans have said in the past they don't really have a third line center to replace him so that's why I included Coyle in the original proposal. Staal seems like extreme overkill for your 3rd line center and I definitely would not try him as a winger (See: his time as a NYR).

I don't have enough of an understanding on Toronto's organization to know how they value players besides big namers.

So you propose Kadri+Brown+1st+2nd+B-C prospect for Spurgeon+Staal? I think I would agree to that trade.

Then the lines for each team change as follows:
Zucker-Kadri-Granlund
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Eriksson Ek-Brown
Foligno-Fehr-Brown/Hendricks

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Lindholm-Staal-Johnsson
Leivo-Gauthier-Ennis

Rielly-Spurgeon
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Ha, no. That's one mystery box I refuse to trade away. Way too much potential there.
It would obv be Pulju +

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He ll do 2.7 goals / 60 like every year.

That would 21st best in the league for last 2 season average. The rankings surrounding "the cap dump" for 5v5 goals per 60. Players over 1500minutes.

18JOHNNY.GAUDREAU2016-2018
19EVGENI.MALKIN2016-2018
20JEFF.SKINNER2016-2018
21NINO.NIEDERREITER2016-2018
22ALEKSANDER.BARKOV2016-2018
23JAMES.VAN RIEMSDYK2016-2018
24PATRIC.HORNQVIST
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He scores goals.... that's what he does. 11 goals last year E/S A grand total of 14 assists all year...

Perhaps your argument is that he is massively misplayed by your coach, and that his 0.5PPG is a abnormal... even though it is pretty indicative of every other season he's had, except that one season.

Just as an interesting point... NN's best year, was 2016/17, where he had 17 5v5 goals, averaging 12:59 Minutes per game 5v5. That's your claim on him, that he's so good, because he haa such good 5v5 scoring.

Connor Brown in the same year, had 17 goals, 5v5, averaging 12:52 Minutes per game 5v5.

Funny, Connor Brown's rate was better than Nino's... is that because Brown is better than Nino? :sarcasm:

Is Connor Brown a great, super valuable guy too?

P.S. He also has the best relative corsi in the whole league for forwards, if you believe in that voodoo instead.

It's a valuable measure, but a false claim. Nino does score well in possession and defensive metrics.

We can all Cherry Pick a couple of stats, to try and plead our case.... but let's keep in mind... Nino had 32 points last year... and assists are valuable too, and offensively is regressing... and ONE point so far this year. (Connor Brown has three FWIW) :sarcasm:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->