Confirmed with Link: Eric Comrie 1 year 750k

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Are you kidding? lol.

What has Comrie done to deserve anything?

Career stats:

9 Games played
4.07 Goals against average
3-5-0 record
0.873 saving percentage

The majority of Comrie's NHL starts have been behind a very good Winnipeg defense (2016-19). I'm not sure if I trust Comrie to start over 3 games, let alone be the designated backup.
Yeah I know his numbers. I probably watched every game. He has a tendency to make himself look small in the net. But I don’t think he’s close to being as bad as though numbers suggest. I’ve watched him a tonne in the AHL.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not comfortable with Comrie as a backup, he hasn't looked good really in any of the games he's suited up for the Jets. I'm fine with giving him a shot, you never know, but if the going gets tough I sure hope they will be aggressive as they can to get a proven backup. Hellebuyck is going to be gassed otherwise.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Those are his NHL save % totals over the years. They do not scream "He's earned his chance". Its seems like more of a case of "Were going to be up against the cap, we have no choice". For all the right moves Chevy has made lately, this seems like it could be a disaster. Surely we could have scraped together 750K for Craig Anderson?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

giphy.gif

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Those are his NHL save % totals over the years. They do not scream "He's earned his chance". Its seems like more of a case of "Were going to be up against the cap, we have no choice". For all the right moves Chevy has made lately, this seems like it could be a disaster. Surely we could have scraped together 750K for Craig Anderson?
That was my thoughts. But Buffalo probably offered Anderson a shot at being the starter.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yeah I know his numbers. I probably watched every game. He has a tendency to make himself look small in the net. But I don’t think he’s close to being as bad as though numbers suggest. I’ve watched him a tonne in the AHL.

Jets record 2017-19:

99-50-15

Jets with Comrie in net 2017-19:

1-3-0

He really is not even close to being a #2 goalie. At best, he is a AHL starter, and an emergency call-up if Helly or a reliable backup goes down. I still cannot get past the final stretch of the 2018-19 season, when Brossoit was injured, and Helle was rested for an important game that would have clinched 1st place in the Central Division if the Jets had won. Comrie was the only option, and against a mediocre Minnesota Wild team, proceeds to let in 5 goals, for the loss, in the 3rd last game of the season.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Berdin should only be brought in on 3rd and long situations. :nod:

RepentantTartAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif
Berdin did great during the 2018-19 season. Since then he has even less impressive numbers than Comrie in the AHL. If no reliable backup is found, why not see what Arvid Holm has to offer? He has played decent in the Swedish league.

Ages of goalies:

Hellebuyck: 28
Comrie: 26
Berdin: 23
Holm: 22

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
We had our back up for this year in our line-up but then we waived him to re acquire Comrie ( Richie Cunningham) . He is now signed for this year with Ottawa.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Berdin did great during the 2018-19 season. Since then he has even less impressive numbers than Comrie in the AHL. If no reliable backup is found, why not see what Arvid Holm has to offer? He has played decent in the Swedish league.

Ages of goalies:

Hellebuyck: 28
Comrie: 26
Berdin: 23
Holm: 22

I still think Berdin is the better goalie. He still has potential Comrie is what he is IMO and that is a career minor leaguer

Reactions: Channelcat

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“Eric’s earned his time. His time has come. This player has worked hard, he’s gone through the trials and tribulations of being a top end American hockey league goaltender and trying to push past some of the veteran people that were in front of him. He’s a great partner for Heli. There’s a real strong chemistry between the two. Heli had a good say in this as well from a standpoint of who he felt comfortable having as his backup. Wade Flaherty is real comfortable that Com’s is the guy that can take that next step. So again, it’s one of the players that earned the opportunity to be there.”

-- Chevy

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
the brilliant part of this offseason is this move. If Helly gets injured, full-on tank mode...drafting Top 3. None of this messin' around with trying to squeek out a playoff spot.

:)

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
That Illegal Curve Hockey Interview with Comrie made me a fan.

What a humble pie Character guy.

Wish him the best this year.
Yes. Great interview. I really am now a fan of his. I say give him a shot. Ken Wiebe said they conferred with Hellebuyck who he was in favour of.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
“Eric’s earned his time. His time has come. This player has worked hard, he’s gone through the trials and tribulations of being a top end American hockey league goaltender and trying to push past some of the veteran people that were in front of him. He’s a great partner for Heli. There’s a real strong chemistry between the two. Heli had a good say in this as well from a standpoint of who he felt comfortable having as his backup. Wade Flaherty is real comfortable that Com’s is the guy that can take that next step. So again, it’s one of the players that earned the opportunity to be there.”

-- Chevy
By that logic all you need to do to get into the line-up is wait 8 years after you were drafted and have mediore results. It's almost Niku and Harkins time!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yes. Great interview. I really am now a fan of his. I say give him a shot. Ken Wiebe said they conferred with Hellebuyck who he was in favour of.

I have to question why it matters what Helly thinks. He has his own job and shouldn't care who his backup is, unless of course he wants to make sure that the Jets backup is someone who will never challenge him for the #1 goalie job.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I have to question why it matters what Helly thinks. He has his own job and shouldn't care who his backup is, unless of course he wants to make sure that the Jets backup is someone who will never challenge him for the #1 goalie job.
Ya, I see your point.
Chevy said they talked with Helly as to who he would support and be comfortable with em which I think is very smart when he is your MVP Vezina winner and working closely with together all year.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Why shouldn't he have input? If I needed an assistant at my job, management would let me in on the hiring process to make sure they are a good fit etc. But I can also agree with your idea he is making sure there is no real challenge to his job. That's probably what I would do also...competent enough but not TOO competent lol

Reactions: Luc Labelle

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This could come back to bite us if Helly gets an injury. I have always liked Comrie, works hard, technically sound, great kid. But he’s not a reliable NHL back up. I really hope he succeeds but I’m not confident that he is the insurance we need incase of injury. He will still need to play with all the back to backs, and in a year where we are all in I think we can still sign a better back up for a similar price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad