Confirmed with Link: Eric Comrie 1 year 750k

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 10.31.41 AM.png

Hm. Give it a whirl, I guess? :huh: How many back to backs do the Jets normally play in a normal season?

My initial response is trepidation, and perhaps this may end in tears.

I am thinking of the first 20 minutes of a game against Nashville on the road, played a few years ago.

Conversely....

If, if, if, if (if) he can find his usual AHL form, which is probably more reliable than the tiny NHL sample size (n = 150 of his most recent games, with a save % of somewhere near .916), I would be good with that.

Thor and Odin, please smile upon him, and let it happen. :tinker:

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaskaJet

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I have to question why it matters what Helly thinks. He has his own job and shouldn't care who his backup is, unless of course he wants to make sure that the Jets backup is someone who will never challenge him for the #1 goalie job.

Plus, the less trust in the backup, the more starts Helly gets. And we know Helly would start every game if it was up to him.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I have to question why it matters what Helly thinks. He has his own job and shouldn't care who his backup is, unless of course he wants to make sure that the Jets backup is someone who will never challenge him for the #1 goalie job.

Brossoit was brought in primarily at Helle's suggestion. Are you saying that was an unwise decision?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think this is Comrie's last shot with the team. I will admit he hasn't really earned it. The team simply likes him and they want to reward him for being an above and beyond team guy. They are also in a cap crunch.

Nonetheless I think it's low risk. If he falters badly, we bring in a vet mid season. Either via waivers or trade. A low level prospect can probably fetch you a backup thats playing somewhere in the minors that has previous NHL experience. Just need a backup that can tred water. Then go after a more established backup at the TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Camino

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
As much fun as it is to watch Berdin, he has been a substantially worse goalie in the AHL than Comrie. I don't think he's likely to move on to the NHL any time soon, if ever.
Substantially worse? Since when is .001 sv% substantial??
Comrie AHL career stats:
207 GP, .911 sv%, 2.82 GAA, 90-92-21-10

NHL: 9 GP, .873 sv%, 4.07 GAA, 3-5-0

Berdin:
95 GP, .910 SV%, 2.76 GAA, 45-40-8-4

And last year was way below Berdin's previous performance (.897) - I'd say a bit skewed by playing a TONNE of back to backs and then long breaks due to the whacky AHL schedule. Berdin was ridden HARD last season...

Unless you're referring to just last season for Comrie, since he came in at the very end of the year and got .947 in 4 games, once the Moose were rolling (they started the year terribly...). That's an incredibly small sample size...

Recency bias?? :dunno:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Comrie AHL career stats:

Berdin:

And last year was way below Berdin's previous performance (.897) - I'd say a bit skewed by playing a TONNE of back to backs and then long breaks due to the whacky AHL schedule. Berdin was ridden HARD last season...

Unless you're referring to just last season for Comrie, since he came in at the very end of the year and got .947 in 4 games, once the Moose were rolling (they started the year terribly...). That's an incredibly small sample size...

Comrie has put up starter numbers in the AHL the past 4 seasons. Berdin started out super hot his first shortened season, but was below average his first full season, and was drowning last season.

It's possible that Berdin starts putting up better numbers in the A as he gets more experience, like Comrie did, but right now we have no real evidence that Berdin even is on Comrie's level in the A.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Tough to sign a good backup with no room on the cap plus whoever came here knows they aren't going to play much. That being said i haven't like Comrie's game in the 9 starts he's had, hopefully around January we can use some of Little's cap space and sign someone.

Reactions: GNP

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Comrie AHL career stats:

Berdin:

Could very well be. Berdin is entertaining to watch if nothing else.

What I will say is that Comrie has looked and sounded absolutely overwhelmed when called upon when he has gotten the call.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
“Eric’s earned his time. His time has come. This player has worked hard, he’s gone through the trials and tribulations of being a top end American hockey league goaltender and trying to push past some of the veteran people that were in front of him. He’s a great partner for Heli. There’s a real strong chemistry between the two. Heli had a good say in this as well from a standpoint of who he felt comfortable having as his backup. Wade Flaherty is real comfortable that Com’s is the guy that can take that next step. So again, it’s one of the players that earned the opportunity to be there.”

-- Chevy

I am usually pushing for a lighter regular season workload for Helle. If it's Comrie as the backup this year, I'll be pushing for 70+ games for Helle.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Comrie AHL career stats:

Berdin:

You are not doing the Birdman any favors by comparing Comrie's stats with Berdins stats lol.

Reactions: FonRiesen

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
You are not doing the Birdman any favors by comparing Comrie's stats with Berdins stats lol.
Hey, I'm not interested in doing any player a favour - just wanted to bring some facts and point out some contextual possibilities to the discussion! :nod:

(It's true, though - Berdin's last season's stats aren't favourable...)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
“Eric’s earned his time. His time has come. This player has worked hard, he’s gone through the trials and tribulations of being a top end American hockey league goaltender and trying to push past some of the veteran people that were in front of him. He’s a great partner for Heli. There’s a real strong chemistry between the two. Heli had a good say in this as well from a standpoint of who he felt comfortable having as his backup. Wade Flaherty is real comfortable that Com’s is the guy that can take that next step. So again, it’s one of the players that earned the opportunity to be there.”

-- Chevy

Doesn't matter that he has tried very hard, worked very hard, etc. Is he good enough? The evidence says no. Lets hope he has improved since his last NHL game, which was last season with NJD.

FWIW, he had the highest sv% of any NJD goalie last year. Only 1 game but he beat McKenzie Blackwood (#2, 35 games) by 0.7% :laugh:

JetLeaf

Jul 26, 2015
Manitoba
I would imagine if he doesn't perform in camp and preseason, the Jets will be all over the waiver wire.

Potential options could be
Scott Wedgewood, Malcolm Subban, Jonas Johansson, Alex Lyon, Keith Kinkaid, Mikey Hutchinson :s , Troy Grosenick, or god forbid whoever Buffalo cuts..

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't matter that he has tried very hard, worked very hard, etc. Is he good enough? The evidence says no. Lets hope he has improved since his last NHL game, which was last season with NJD.

FWIW, he had the highest sv% of any NJD goalie last year. Only 1 game but he beat McKenzie Blackwood (#2, 35 games) by 0.7% :laugh:
Comrie has been good enough at the AHL not to be given one last opportunity by the organization at age 26. If he fails to prove he is an adequate back up in camp there are many possible backups floating around the league early in the season and his contract is completely buriable in the minors if necessary.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comrie has been good enough at the AHL not to be given one last opportunity by the organization at age 26. If he fails to prove he is an adequate back up in camp there are many possible backups floating around the league early in the season and his contract is completely buriable in the minors if necessary.

The cap saved on the Copp and Pionk contracts (compared to what we were commonly estimating here) opens up that possibility. Using earlier estimates, we could only have replaced Comrie with another goalie at ~750k. We're not likely to get much improvement for that money. As it is now, Comrie could be waived and replaced by a goalie making a little more. That widens the possible replacement pool.

Any bets on getting Hutchinson back?

Aside: That money saved there also opens up the probability that Beaulieu is our 7D. Subtraction by addition.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Are the Jets planning on starting with Berdin and Holm on the Moose this year? They already signed Desrosiers. Not sure they would want Comrie on the Moose, unless the plan is to promote Berdin. I think that's the plan to have competition for the backup position. Cost effective competition albeit. I mean the Jets should allow quite a few less 30 shot games with the improvements on defense?

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Are the Jets planning on starting with Berdin and Holm on the Moose this year? They already signed Desrosiers. Not sure they would want Comrie on the Moose, unless the plan is to promote Berdin. I think that's the plan to have competition for the backup position. Cost effective competition albeit. I mean the Jets should allow quite a few less 30 shot games with the improvements on defense?
I think the backup job is Comrie’s to lose. He’s getting it and they’ll see how he does. If he doesn’t they’ll make a move then. Chevy pretty much said so.

Reactions: surixon

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Comrie AHL career stats:

Berdin:

Comrie backed some pretty damn awful Moose teams. Have to wonder if his save % is more of a result of being a victim of circumstance. But he needs to be assertive and strong right from camp.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comrie backed some pretty damn awful Moose teams. Have to wonder if his save % is more of a result of being a victim of circumstance. But he needs to be assertive and strong right from camp.

I mean Comrie's career numbers don't paint an accurate picture. His first few years as a young starting goalie on some bad Moose teams saw him post some inconsistent results.

Since 17-18 he doesn't have a year less then a .916 save percentage and his cumulative save percentage over that 4 year time period (nearly 3200 shots faced) is .919 or very strong.

It's hard to argue that he his AHL level performance hasn't warranted this opportunity.

Unlike Comrie Berdin's numbers have been declining year by year and hasn't shown the level of high level consistency that Comrie has shown over the past 4 seasons.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The cap saved on the Copp and Pionk contracts (compared to what we were commonly estimating here) opens up that possibility. Using earlier estimates, we could only have replaced Comrie with another goalie at ~750k. We're not likely to get much improvement for that money. As it is now, Comrie could be waived and replaced by a goalie making a little more. That widens the possible replacement pool.

Any bets on getting Hutchinson back?

I would be down for seeing the Jets reacquire Hutch. During his first stint, Hutch looked like he was going to solve our goaltending woes, and become the starter, until teams figured him out around the ASB in 2015. Hutch seemed to get a lot of flak during his remaining 3 years, and always seemed to be under appreciated, especially compared with Comrie.

Looking at Hutch stats since he left, he hasn't really played that bad. Mediocre to average in Toronto and Colorado, but I would feel much more comfortable if he were to be the #2 goalie on the team.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would be down for seeing the Jets reacquire Hutch. During his first stint, Hutch looked like he was going to solve our goaltending woes, and become the starter, until teams figured him out around the ASB in 2015. Hutch seemed to get a lot of flak during his remaining 3 years, and always seemed to be under appreciated, especially compared with Comrie.

Looking at Hutch stats since he left, he hasn't really played that bad. Mediocre to average in Toronto and Colorado, but I would feel much more comfortable if he were to be the #2 goalie on the team.
I think he and his family are still here in Winnipeg. He played fairly well last year. So ya, wouldnt be a bad option.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comrie now has 12 NHL games. The last 4 have been good to very good (he won a game with NJD last year). Even with those 4, his career sv% is still only 88.4. :laugh:

But he doesn't look nervous anymore and he isn't falling apart after letting in 1. At 26 YO, he seems to have arrived in the NHL. :thumbu::hockey:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad