Confirmed with Link: Eric Comrie 1 year 750k

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Comrie just can't escape the Winnipeg Jets. Well, he could get claimed off waivers again and return to Winnipeg.

Poor dude. Once he pretty much stole a starting job from Chris Driedger.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Hope Hellebuyck teaches him eye exercises

eric-comrie-2016-6378.jpg

Reactions: Jets 31

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Awesome to bring him back! I don't know if he's good enough to be a backup right now, but maybe he'll get a shot or be depth at least

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Remember that time Maurice played Irbe for like 70 games? Yeah that’s happening again.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Comrie is that backup. If not he'll be travelling across the country again this year being waived from team to team.

Bucky showed he had take on the heaviest of workloads & Comrie has been proven to work tirelessly in practice without much need for actual games in order for him to remain at his best.

Unless we find a better goalie at league minimum this may be the best tandem we can expect in net.

What a don't like is the radical different in styles. Broissoit was very similar to Hellebuyck in size and style. Recent Jets tandems rely on the team to force their opponents into a perimeter game & then cut down angles.

Comrie's game isn't built like that at all, relying on pure athleticism. Perhaps a shift in defensive strategy is coming as well.

Anyways, if things don't go well we can waive Comrie at the trade deadline, recoup that $750,000 & trade for a playoff backup with whatever daily cap savings Chevy has amassed by the deadline.

Last edited:

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Wow I'm not really liking this. I hope somehow that when Brossoit hits free agency tomorrow that it doesn't ring too much for him (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Toronto) and he will come back at the same price or maximum 2m. Love how we have had the same 2 goalies for years now and which are good friends.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Wow I'm not really liking this. I hope somehow that when Brossoit hits free agency tomorrow that it doesn't ring too much for him (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Toronto) and he will come back at the same price or maximum 2m. Love how we have had the same 2 goalies for years now and which are good friends.
We are so tight against the cap that we probably can't afford a $2M backup this season.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
A weak goaltender can make even a good defense look horrible. Don’t like the idea of him as backup or Helle having to play 70 plus games.

Hope this is not the plan. Make a deal and ensure we have at least a million for a better backup... or worst case have a plan to start with Comrie until Little goes LTIR and add a backup at some point during the season or even at the deadline (which is still not ideal)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I can guarantee that Comrie isn't Helle's backup. The org has him penciled as the Moose starter for as long as he wants. I think they know at this point he's not an NHL goalie, maybe a 3rd stringer. We'll pick someone else up tomorrow.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Seriously, is Mike dating Chevy's daughter or something? There must be some reason that he somehow is so in love with this kid.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Seriously, is Mike dating Chevy's daughter or something? There must be some reason that he somehow is so in love with this kid.

It is not surprising to me at all. The team's culture, and that includes the Moose, is built on character. Check out Simon Sinek's talk on Performance vs Trust and you will get an idea of who the Jets are looking for, and see how a guy like Comrie is a keeper.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It is not surprising to me at all. The team's culture, and that includes the Moose, is built on character. Check out Simon Sinek's talk on Performance vs Trust and you will get an idea of who the Jets are looking for, and see how a guy like Comrie is a keeper.

Well said. He's a real good person and teammate. I'm pulling for him show he can be a backup this year. If not he can always start on the Moose and still provide value to the organization.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Comrie is that backup. If not he'll be travelling across the country again this year being waived from team to team.

Bucky showed he had take on the heaviest of workloads & Comrie has been proven to work tirelessly in practice without much need for actual games in order for him to remain at his best.

Unless we find a better goalie at league minimum this may be the best tandem we can expect in net.

What a don't like is the radical different in styles. Broissoit was very similar to Hellebuyck in size and style. Recent Jets tandems rely on the team to force their opponents into a perimeter game & then cut down angles.

Comrie's game isn't built like that at all, relying on pure athleticism. Perhaps a shift in defensive strategy is coming as well.

Anyways, if things don't go well we can waive Comrie at the trade deadline, recoup that $750,000 & trade for a playoff backup with whatever daily cap savings Chevy has amassed by the deadline.

Yeah I’m not very bullish on Comrie or his style of netminding vs the speed of the game in this era, but his numbers look a little better the past two seasons. Maybe he’s figured out the positional game a bit.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Helle is going to play 65 games anyhow. Comrie has played very well in the AHL the past few seasons so hopefully he is ready and able to give us 15-17 solid games.

If not we can always waive him and grab a cheap backup. They go all the time around the league.

Agree. Especially last year -- he came in and calmed the Moose ship when it was most needed and played some of his best hockey. If he can provide 15 solid games as a backup we should be okay. There's not a lot of margin for error if Helle gets hurt or starts to dip, though.

The Buttery One was terrific for us, but hard to blame him for wanting his chance to show what he can do as a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad