Confirmed with Link: Eric Comrie 1 year 750k

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree. Especially last year -- he came in and calmed the Moose ship when it was most needed and played some of his best hockey. If he can provide 15 solid games as a backup we should be okay. There's not a lot of margin for error if Helle gets hurt or starts to dip, though.

The Buttery One was terrific for us, but hard to blame him for wanting his chance to show what he can do as a starter.

We likely cant afford him at 1.5 to 1.75 million anyhow. We were always having to go cheap on our backup this season with our acquisitions. I would rather give a good org soldier in Comrie first crack.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The Moose need a goalie I guess... I just can't see the Jets going with Comrie for 20-30 games.

Agree, but he won't have to. Helle will play 62 - 65, and I imagine Berdin will get a cup of coffee or two.

Helle down would present a terrifying prospect, but he's been an ironman, and maybe we shore up the position if we're safe for the playoffs.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Meh,

There may be better options after free agency has cleaned up some available UFA's. They can always waive him with no cap hit. Besides..... a good d-core can make shitty goalies tread water when they need to.

Reactions: jokesondee

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
Comrie is 26 years old. Give him one more shot, but he's a marginal prospect as an NHL player. And he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

What have we got for NHL experience after Hellebuyck? About 10 games total? I hope we pick up a cheap veteran place holder for backup today.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ll be curious to see if Comrie actually gets the backup role this season. If it isn’t him it will be someone making similar money.

Reactions: Mathil8

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Comrie as backup just terrifies me. He’s at best an okay minor league goalie.

Watch a Hellebuyck injury sink the season.

How do you reasonably prevent this though? I mean it was possible when you have a #1 goalie on his second pro deal, but once you are paying for a legit #1, Vezina type goalie you always are going to have a major unknown as a backup in the cap era. Even Brossoit for $2M plus has never played more than 20 NHL games in a season. What would you expect from him if the #1 went down and all of sudden he's playing 50-60 games?

If Helly went down pre deadline the Jets could use LTIR and start the goalie carousel. That's about the best anyone can do.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
We can't even let a serious Helly injury come into the equation....If that happens pray it comes early so we can have a better chance in the draft lottery :naughty:

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
This shiny new defence better be really good if we are counting on Comrie for 25 games. And if Bucky goes down, our season is over.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
God help us. I'm sorry, but I've watch Comrie play in the AHL and the handful he has played in the NHL, and I have yet to see anything that gives me confidence that he can be adequate in 20-30 NHL games.

5 years under NHL contracts and 9 NHL games played... there is a reason for this!

AHL
207 gp2.82.911
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL

9 gp4.08.873
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad