Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What about this Légaré guy?

Légaré seems like the type of dude to not really amount to much. It's nice that he's producing now but why did his production spike out of nothing ? He's never produced before, not even in midget 1.2 PPG in midget ? Thats meh, then he goes on in the Q and doesn't produce in his like first 40 games and explodes later... At best you're looking at a Lekhonen/Shaw type.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Légaré seems like the type of dude to not really amount to much. It's nice that he's producing now but why did his production spike out of nothing ? He's never produced before, not even in midget 1.2 PPG in midget ? Thats meh, then he goes on in the Q and doesn't produce in his like first 40 games and explodes later... At best you're looking at a Lekhonen/Shaw type.
For sure, he's not dynamic at all. I suspect he's just strong beyond his years making his wristshot lethal- others will catch up with time though. He's also great at finding open space, but that's in the Q- it's not a trait I'd count on in the NHL.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For sure, he's not dynamic at all. I suspect he's just strong beyond his years making his wristshot lethal- others will catch up with time though. He's also great at finding open space, but that's in the Q- it's not a trait I'd count on in the NHL.
Both of them are also getting carried (Beaucage and Legaré)

Reactions: Habs76

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
My Q picks would be Cajkovic, Poulin, Pelletier, Likhachyov. The rest are all meh.
I like Poulin and Cajkovic. Not really a fan of Pelletier, and Likhachyov is an interesting player who I guess I'd be OK with in a late round. I really like Serdyuk as well as Abramov, Simoneau, Knyazev, Guenette, and Bolduc.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
What about Moritz Seider for the Habs?
I really like him. He's an absolute bull, super tough, physical and hard to knock off the puck. Fluid skater with good puckhandling and a firm first pass, he just doesn't have much offensive aggression which could limit his upside to that of a #4D. He's got similarities to Mattias Samuelsson from last year, but with better offensive capabilities.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Whats the scouting report on Poulin?
First, the bad: he's a slug. Honestly a really bad skater speed-wise. Aside from that, though, he's a really good player. His puck protection, however and work down low is exceptional, he has great hands around the goalmouth and positions himself very well. Has a high amount of creativity as well and the strength to hold off defenders.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
First, the bad: he's a slug. Honestly a really bad skater speed-wise. Aside from that, though, he's a really good player. His puck protection, however and work down low is exceptional, he has great hands around the goalmouth and positions himself very well. Has a high amount of creativity as well and the strength to hold off defenders.
I don't even think he's that slow. He's a heavy player though, it's totally fixable. He's a good talent.

Reactions: Vachon23

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

I like that.

A slower player with high I.Q. isn’t a liability in todays NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like Poulin and Cajkovic. Not really a fan of Pelletier, and Likhachyov is an interesting player who I guess I'd be OK with in a late round. I really like Serdyuk as well as Abramov, Simoneau, Knyazev, Guenette, and Bolduc.
Pelletier is too smart and skilled to not to amount to a NHL player, sadly he's going to go too high for my taste. He'd be a perfect early 2nd round candidate in a deeper draft.

I love Abramov the ruskies too, they all have decent upside. Knyazev is probably my favorite in that group... But I see them going higher than where I'd like.

I like Cajkovic and Likhachyov because they're clearly super skilled but they're getting underrated for their team situation and just not clicking that much in the Q so far. Typical "how did he explode" cases with these two.

Beyond those, Nussbaumer, Simoneau, Spence, Parent, Barinka and Alexandrov are also very interesting.

It's one of the better year in terms of depth for the Q and I hope they acquire a few more fourth to fifth rounder to snag a few of them.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Pelletier is too smart and skilled to not to amount to a NHL player, sadly he's going to go too high for my taste. He'd be a perfect early 2nd round candidate in a deeper draft.

I love Abramov the ruskies too, they all have decent upside. Knyazev is probably my favorite in that group... But I see them going higher than where I'd like.

I like Cajkovic and Likhachyov because they're clearly super skilled but they're getting underrated for their team situation and just not clicking that much in the Q so far. Typical "how did he explode" cases with these two.

Beyond those, Nussbaumer, Simoneau, Spence, Parent, Barinka and Alexandrov are also very interesting.

It's one of the better year in terms of depth for the Q and I hope they acquire a few more fourth to fifth rounder to snag a few of them.
Oh, yeah. We agree on Pelletier then. People are treating him like some gamebreaking talent, but all things considered I can't see him amounting to more than a middle six forward. Not the type of player I'd like to chase after.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He's not even that slow tbh, he got faster than he was last year. He's big as hell for a 6'1, I have no doubt about his skating going to the pros. Guy can beat a goalie from anywhere and he can make a pass, count me in.

I think the bad is that he seems to be too much of a system player at times... He sticks to his zone a lot, he could be over coached. He also faces the puck and gravitates towards the puck which kills some offense, but is somewhat easy to fix.

Reactions: Habs76

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh, yeah. We agree on Pelletier then. People are treating him like some gamebreaking talent, but all things considered I can't see him amounting to more than a middle six forward. Not the type of player I'd like to chase after.
Oh I think there could be a first liner in him. But yeah, 2nd liner is much more likely, still not a bad pick.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Oh I think there could be a first liner in him. But yeah, 2nd liner is much more likely, still not a bad pick.
I don't see it. Great motor, real smart player but he never makes creative plays with the puck, has average puckhandling ability and frankly isn't as good of a skater as he's often made out to be.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Actually, you know who Harrison Blaisdell reminds me of? Samuel Fagemo. Only, he has 33 goals this year. My only complaint with him is that quite often, the plays that he's attempting fail, even if they're good plays. That was exactly the rub with Fagemo. At the U18s, he had multiple high quality scoring chances and nothing came of them. Strictly based on tools, and his understanding of the game, I really like him as a player. Another possible comparison would be Tyler Madden.

Reactions: G0bias

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Actually, you know who Harrison Blaisdell reminds me of? Samuel Fagemo. Only, he has 33 goals this year. My only complaint with him is that quite often, the plays that he's attempting fail, even if they're good plays. That was exactly the rub with Fagemo. At the U18s, he had multiple high quality scoring chances and nothing came of them. Strictly based on tools, and his understanding of the game, I really like him as a player. Another possible comparison would be Tyler Madden.
Those are the types of players you go out of your way to draft. Could totally just be a lengthy dry spell.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Those are the types of players you go out of your way to draft. Could totally just be a lengthy dry spell.

It's not even a dry spell. He tied with Holloway for team lead in scoring at the WJAC with 5 points in 6 games, only Newhook and 2 20 year olds have scored more goals than him in the BCHL. Just when he's playing you'll notice a lot of broken plays. Fagemo scored a lot of goals last year as well, including 5 goals in 5 playoff games, but when you watched him there were a lot of broken plays as well.

Thing with these guys, though, is that they're always attacking.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't see it. Great motor, real smart player but he never makes creative plays with the puck, has average puckhandling ability and frankly isn't as good of a skater as he's often made out to be.
Can't agree here. I've seen him be a creative playmaker, in fact, I'm sure just watching his highlights you could see plenty of creative playmaking, it's pretty much what he does. I don't think he's a bad puckhandler either and he battles hard in close of the net.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Can't agree here. I've seen him be a creative playmaker, in fact, I'm sure just watching his highlights you could see plenty of creative playmaking, it's pretty much what he does. I don't think he's a bad puckhandler either and he battles hard in close of the net.
Watching any player's highlights will paint them in a good light. Battler i think is a word that sums up Pelletier pretty well. He pursues the puck vehemently, never stops moving his feet and is first on the forecheck every time without fail. When you play that often and are one of your team's main offensive threats you're bound to have some impressive plays, but in the case of Pelletier, his setups are rarely impressive in terms of their creativity. It's generally the smart, safe play- keep the puck moving around the perimeter, maintain possession approach that he plays- which isn't a bad thing, but it's not the sign of a first line talent.

I also find when watching Pelletier that he lacks an elite skill. Shot? It's decent. Skating? Above average, but will never be a skill he can rely upon to put him in a top class. His hockey IQ is impeccable, but I believe it lacks a creative element.

There's really nothing that puts Pelletier over the top for me. An OK shot, pretty good skating, smart defensive and instinctual player, but without the vision necessary for that attribute to truly make him a star, and well those are really the big three. It all falls under the good but not great category to me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watching any player's highlights will paint them in a good light. Battler i think is a word that sums up Pelletier pretty well. He pursues the puck vehemently, never stops moving his feet and is first on the forecheck every time without fail. When you play that often and are one of your team's main offensive threats you're bound to have some impressive plays, but in the case of Pelletier, his setups are rarely impressive in terms of their creativity. It's generally the smart, safe play- keep the puck moving around the perimeter, maintain possession approach that he plays- which isn't a bad thing, but it's not the sign of a first line talent.

I also find when watching Pelletier that he lacks an elite skill. Shot? It's decent. Skating? Above average, but will never be a skill he can rely upon to put him in a top class. His hockey IQ is impeccable, but I believe it lacks a creative element.

There's really nothing that puts Pelletier over the top for me. An OK shot, pretty good skating, smart defensive and instinctual player, but without the vision necessary for that attribute to truly make him a star, and well those are really the big three. It all falls under the good but not great category to me.
I disagree, I think you're underrating his playmaking quite a bit, I've seen him make some really creative play. I remember watching him play against Veleno last year and he made a crazy pass through two defenders on a two on one completely changing the pace of the play and it resulted in an easy empty net for the shooter. Those type of passes are great and it's a NHL level play.

He doesn't have an elite shot or elite skating but his motor and his playmaking are, imo.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I disagree, I think you're underrating his playmaking quite a bit, I've seen him make some really creative play. I remember watching him play against Veleno last year and he made a crazy pass through two defenders on a two on one completely changing the pace of the play and it resulted in an easy empty net for the shooter. Those type of passes are great and it's a NHL level play.

He doesn't have an elite shot or elite skating but his motor and his playmaking are, imo.
His motor is definitely elite, I'm not questioning that but it's a complimentary trait. Alexey Toropchenko is a workhorse for example, doesn't make the guy a first line talent. The playmaking prowess you speak of I've never seen from Pelletier, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His motor is definitely elite, I'm not questioning that but it's a complimentary trait. Alexey Toropchenko is a workhorse for example, doesn't make the guy a first line talent. The playmaking prowess you speak of I've never seen from Pelletier, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
He's not too far off from a guy like Kotkaniemi in playmaking.

Kotkaniemi never makes the impressive play, or the Drouin kind of plays, but he produces offense regularly and I find that much more impressive than stupid low percentage plays. Most of the best passers in the world are like that, if you don't account for McDavid and Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad