Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Lol wut? Explain yourself. He's not that talented.
He's got great hands and deceptiveness, can use his frame and agility to beat defenders, with a good release and accurate wrister. He's not shy of engaging in battles either, and has the ability to come out of them with puck possession. His numbers in SuperElit reflect his skill level accurately.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Watched Spiridonov's game vs Sibirskie. Thought he looked better than in some of my previous viewings.

He got to display his slick hands, size and long reach in the first two periods. Also played a very heady game, as usual. Basically once he got the puck in the corners, Sibirskie couldn't take it away from him. Had a nice goal where he got lost behind coverage for a backdoor one-timer. I don't know if he has quite Morozov's reads but his positioning and engagement at both ends was solid. Skating while not as fluid - he does look bigger though - gets the job done.

This brings me to my only kvetch, with such an impressive individual package, I'd like to see him take over more and show flashes of dominance against such derp defenses, something I saw Morozov do on occasions.
Which games in you jabronis' opinion best showcase this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p and Habs76

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watched Spiridonov's game vs Sibirskie. Thought he looked better than in some of my previous viewings.

He got to display his slick hands, size and long reach in the first two periods. Also played a very heady game, as usual. Basically once he got the puck in the corners, Sibirskie couldn't take it away from him. Had a nice goal where he got lost behind coverage for a backdoor one-timer. I don't know if he has quite Morozov's reads but his positioning and engagement at both ends was solid. Skating while not as fluid - he does look bigger though - gets the job done.

This brings me to my only kvetch, with such an impressive individual package, I'd like to see him take over more and show flashes of dominance against such derp defenses, something I saw Morozov do on occasions.
I like Yegor, but I dont think he has it in him to take over a game. Hes the type of player that will br a role player on a team.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Spiridonov is a more physically impressive player than Morozov was, as you describe here. What's missing in comparison to Morozov is that analytic quality to his play. I haven't seen any evidence of it in any of the games I've watched, which is why I said that he's ''the closest I've seen.''

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm getting really sick and f***ing tired of there being a Swedish prospect late round or undrafted that turned out to be a quality player, that we missed. Johnson, then Bratt, and now it's looking like Fagemo. Send Hannu Laine to Sweden every so often FFS, there's not that many Finnish prospects.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm getting really sick and ****ing tired of there being a Swedish prospect late round or undrafted that turned out to be a quality player, that we missed. Johnson, then Bratt, and now it's looking like Fagemo. Send Hannu Laine to Sweden every so often FFS, there's not that many Finnish prospects.

Or just hire the best f***ing scout in sweden, or better yet, two of them or even ten.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not sayin' I'm jus' sayin' but remember how Brynäs would barely give Boqvist any minutes last year? A lot of times they'd dress him just to sit him on the bench? Well, take a look at the minutes Söderström's been playing for them this year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sayin' I'm jus' sayin' but remember how Brynäs would barely give Boqvist any minutes last year? A lot of times they'd dress him just to sit him on the bench? Well, take a look at the minutes Söderström's been playing for them this year.

Can't you just tell Me, man

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, thats gonna be a no from me dawg.

Soderstrom is smart and all but he doesn't have anything near Boqvists offensive package.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I like Yegor, but I dont think he has it in him to take over a game. Hes the type of player that will br a role player on a team.
I think his game has a lot of similarities to Poehling's. Two-way ability, puck protection and play down low, specifically. Similar skating styles too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think his game has a lot of similarities to Poehling's. Two-way ability, puck protection and play down low, specifically. Similar skating styles too.
I agree. Similar quick hands on both kids, similar body, similar strength. I do think Poehling is a better playmaker.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
How good do you think he can be? What do you think of Jordan Spence?

One always wants more when watching Suzuki.
I did focuss more on Pelletier since outside the top listed prospects, I dont know much about the other eligible prospects, but Spence looks like a nice little puckmoving defenseman with good vision and nice puckhandling skills, I will have to rewatch games to see how he handles himself in some situations, especially in his own end...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If there's one area that I will nitpick the most is their ability to scout goalies. I think that's one of the positions where you need to bring in Waite and have him look.

Outside of Primeau and two UFA signings they haven't done great. Price was a top 5 pick. Halak was what, just before Timmins?

Anyways, they picked losers like Simila, Loic Lacasse (the worst), Fucale, and big bust Missiaen.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
IMO, if you need one, just trade a pick for one that's ready.

Who? Philadelphia isn't trading you Carter Hart for a pick. Name one top end goalie prospect that you can get for a middling draft pick? You really can't.

In a world where shit like Cam Talbot can get moved for 2x2nd round picks and get signed for 4-5 million a season, you better be taking shots at goalies.

I'd pick Hlavaj in the third in this draft and be very very happy about it.

Reactions: Vachon23

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Who? Philadelphia isn't trading you Carter Hart for a pick. Name one top end goalie prospect that you can get for a middling draft pick? You really can't.

In a world where **** like Cam Talbot can get moved for 2x2nd round picks and get signed for 4-5 million a season, you better be taking shots at goalies.

I'd pick Hlavaj in the third in this draft and be very very happy about it.

Philadelphia is maybe a poor example of a team who won't trade a promising young goaltender for scraps. For one, they wont trade a young promising goaltender because they've been without solid goaltending for a long time, and they've learned their lesson. But in the last few years we've seen goaltenders like Bishop, Raanta, Jones moved for a late first or less, Dubnyk for a 3rd, and as alluded to, Bob for a 2nd. If push comes to shove, just trade a pick.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Philadelphia is maybe a poor example of a team who won't trade a promising young goaltender for scraps. For one, they wont trade a young promising goaltender because they've been without solid goaltending for a long time, and they've learned their lesson. But in the last few years we've seen goaltenders like Bishop, Raanta, Jones moved for a late first or less, Dubnyk for a 3rd, and as alluded to, Bob for a 2nd. If push comes to shove, just trade a pick.

But that's higher value than using some late round picks on goalies with potential late in the draft, and to be completely honest with you.. the only one I'd want in my net is Bobrovsky. The rest of them are pretty middling pseudo-number 1 goalies.

The risk/reward on a goalie prospect in the later rounds of the draft is actually a lot higher than gambling on guys like Samuel Houde and Jack Gorniak who at best at 3rd/4th liners and can be had for next to nothing off free agency every year.

I don't really see the logic of wanting to protect 3-7th round picks from being used on a goalie when, those goalies mentioned above are some, but that doesn't begin to quantify the amount of guys like Talbot and Lack who have been moved for 2nd round picks or more and are complete ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot