Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not sure, I mean if we talk about recent highly touted Russian talents coming to the CHL, there's Sokolov, Grigorenko, the Svechnikovs.

The only one looking good is Andrei and is it because he came to North America earlier? I don't know.

If we're talking about the CHL there's Provorov and Sergachev as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But that argument doesn't hold water because you can give specific example against it. Provorov. Done. Dead argument. Two predraft seasons away from mother Russia's teat and he turned out fantastically.

That Q Russians do worse might be due to a number of factors. One could be that their scouts are bad. Another could be that they don't have enough pull to attract the higher profile players. But it could be significant that they're in the Q to begin with. It's like when people complain about how Danault doesn't get any power play time: yeah, his coach didn't choose him for PP time for a reason. The selection itself might contain information.

The argument is for russian forwards, usually, not Dmen, because those dont seem to develop like normal hockey players, it seem.

One of these factors may just be that its probably the worst talent factory in NA, dont you think?

Reactions: Habs76

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The argument is for russian forwards, usually, not Dmen, because those dont seem to develop like normal hockey players, it seem.

One of these factors may just be that its probably the worst talent factory in NA, dont you think?

I think that's at least plausible. Because of the lower talent level, it's an easier league for them to shine in so they look overvalued. I think this especially applies to Russians because they're highly skilled as a group, even if any specific player is untalented. It's just the way they're developed back home that puts a greater emphasis on individual skill development, so when they come over into a weak league like the Q they look a lot better than they are.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
About guys who might go 3rd overall, you guys hear that Podkolzin got a match penalty for headbutting at the 5 nations? Lol

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

The Q is a league made for the flashy offensive stars, and the net-front finishers like Legare IMO. Because they have so much time and space to make plays and it's much less of a systems league than the WHL, OHL and USHL (though those leagues, especially the OHL have their flashy stars and elite finishers as well). Conor Garland absolutely dominated the Q and I love Conor Garland- but he isn't the type of player that should be scoring 130 points in back-to-back seasons. Vitali Abramov is an amazing hockey player, but there's a very real chance he never amounts to anything. I do find the Q seems to produce lots of talent, but the players are much less polished for pro hockey and their success can be tough to predict. See: Barre-Boulet, Gourde, Marchessault.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Idk man even he has some really weird opinions on some russian prospects, but yeah, hes the best of the bunch
I don't care if someone's opinions are disagreeable, I can respect them if they're willing to reason with you and explain their viewpoint. Plus, Caser seems open-minded and willing to admit that the Russian system of player development is not always the move. He's almost like the Russian version of Steve Kournianos of Russian prospects. Smart guy, and has watched probably every (Russian) prospect worth watching but his rankings can be really bad.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't care if someone's opinions are disagreeable, I can respect them if they're willing to reason with you and explain their viewpoint. Plus, Caser seems open-minded and willing to admit that the Russian system of player development is not always the move. He's almost like the Russian version of Steve Kournianos of Russian prospects. Smart guy, and has watched probably every (Russian) prospect worth watching but his rankings can be really bad.
Lol, Kournianos is a joke and doesn't know what the hell he's saying and won't respond to anyone who critiques his opinion.

I agree on Caiser.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I notice my posting habits on other threads are pretty much liking and replying to the draft guys.

Its like a board within a board.

Back to the draft: anyone paying the 5$ for the shift by shifts ?

Reactions: The Great Weise

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I notice my posting habits on other threads are pretty much liking and replying to the draft guys.

Its like a board within a board.

Back to the draft: anyone paying the 5$ for the shift by shifts ?

I think I will for one month to get more viewings of the Swedes and Finns.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think I will for one month to get more viewings of the Swedes and Finns.
I've basically done nothing for this year's draft class. I'll start doing my research on players once my midterms are done. Last thing I need is having a meltdown on draft day by saying "lOl hE wAs A rEaCh At 20. FiRe TiMmIns!".

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Scouting Nolan Foote all like

FXA9Fa2.png

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, thats for sure. But still, big body that can shoot and somewhat skate... I guess I'd be fine with him in the 2nd.

Get dat dere AAA Boeuf de L'Ouest.

I noticed you yutzes didn't discuss Raphael Lavoie when I requested. Did everyone just agree that he looks like Voldemort?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Kaliyev and Lavoie should fight to the death, winner gets crowned "enigmatic big-body with a good shot and questionable toolbox who'll probably go too high".

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad