Post-Game Talk: 5-3 win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
That was good to get the lead in the third period. It let the coaches tell the defensemen to stay back and play defense. And not skate out of position so much. Pinch and pressure at the right time. Don't just skate wildly everywhere. And don't think they need to be up with the forwards to generate offense.
They played more the style they need to play. They can still get the same offensive chances without getting globetrotted on the defensive end. Hopefully they move more towards that style of play moving forward.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Not the same situation at all. Huby had a monster year into his contract against lower competition and was already putting up big numbers in prior years, you can argue about his play all you want, but the stats were there and that's what gets a player paid. And for the record, I was also one of the few who were fine with shipping him out or only signing him to a fair (below market) contract.

Ekblad has clearly not trended in the direction we all wanted, he's not going to get a $9M contract. Hanifin just signed for $7.35M and is arguably the more attractive free agent. I could see Ekblad settle for $6-7M to stay. He's not getting a rise in the open market.

Ek has also played against top competition and is a big part of our defensive structure. Our defense turned back to mush when he was out for a bit toward end of the season. If you trade Ekblad for Monty, that's gonna be a rough go on defense next year. That's no insult to Monty, they just have different roles.

If Nurse can get a +9mil contract then Ekblad can too especially with the cap ceiling going up. I don't care where Ekblad could settle because I think that he's pretty bad in his current role. If he was a 4mil dman who wasn't expected to see any time with special teams then he'd be pretty decent but then there's still his injury issues.

Ekblad sure plays against top competition but he's not very good at it because if he was playing anyone else then Gus who has the skating ability to cover up for Ekky's mistakes then his defensive metrics would be bottom tier.

The problem imo is that you're looking at the fancy stats alone and then deduce that Ekblad has to be good because otherwise it wouldn't make sense whereas I focus on his play when he on the ice and consider him to be a hindrance to this team in his current role. I don't think Monty would absorb Ekky's role on this team if he were to be traded but rather Zito has to sign or trade for a better dman to play with Gus.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Erod's not going anywhere...he just signed a 4-year deal to have some stability. Would be an awful look on the org. No way Zito does that. We're not Vegas...

I disagree with this. I don't think it would be a bad look on the org at all to move him. He signed a contract without trade protection, and if the team doesn't like the fit, they are certainly entitled to trade him to another club.

TBH, I think of all the potential guys the team can and should move in the off-season, he's pretty high on my list. I just feel like they can find other guys to go out there and grind minutes and flub prime scoring chances for less than what he's being paid.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If Nurse can get a +9mil contract then Ekblad can too especially with the cap ceiling going up. I don't care where Ekblad could settle because I think that he's pretty bad in his current role. If he was a 4mil dman who wasn't expected to see any time with special teams then he'd be pretty decent but then there's still his injury issues.

Ekblad sure plays against top competition but he's not very good at it because if he was playing anyone else then Gus who has the skating ability to cover up for Ekky's mistakes then his defensive metrics would be bottom tier.

The problem imo is that you're looking at the fancy stats alone and then deduce that Ekblad has to be good because otherwise it wouldn't make sense whereas I focus on his play when he on the ice and consider him to be a hindrance to this team in his current role. I don't think Monty would absorb Ekky's role on this team if he were to be traded but rather Zito has to sign or trade for a better dman to play with Gus.

Nurse was an all-time bad contract...I mean if we're just going to pick random contracts to compare, then I don't know how to discuss Ekblad's contract.

I get where you're coming from, but we'll just have to disagree on this one.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
I don't really want to talk about the off-season, since we're on the cusp of sweeping the Lightning to advance, but

Ekblad
Bobrovsky
Rodrigues
Knight

are four players under contract that the Panthers are going to have to make tough decisions with in the off-season. I think, at a minimum, one of these guys is gone, probably two of them.

Reactions: PSLguy

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I disagree with this. I don't think it would be a bad look on the org at all to move him. He signed a contract without trade protection, and if the team doesn't like the fit, they are certainly entitled to trade him to another club.

TBH, I think of all the potential guys the team can and should move in the off-season, he's pretty high on my list. I just feel like they can find other guys to go out there and grind minutes and flub prime scoring chances for less than what he's being paid.
Maybe, I just don't see moving a guy we just signed for four years who's basically done what we expected him to do.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I don't really want to talk about the off-season, since we're on the cusp of sweeping the Lightning to advance, but

Ekblad
Bobrovsky
Rodrigues
Knight

are four players under contract that the Panthers are going to have to make tough decisions with in the off-season. I think, at a minimum, one of these guys is gone, probably two of them.
Hard decision goalie wise
Knight is still unknown but carries a decent price tag
Officer bob straight up has been this teams mvp these last two playoffs, but that 10mil hurts

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Ekblad
Bobrovsky
Rodrigues
Knight

I'd throw Luostarinen on this list.

He is really good on the PK and defensively but offensively it's not there.

And he makes 3

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

And he makes 3

1084c86071b91e1b.jpg

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017

And he makes 3

Luostarinen and E-Rod both being deployed as defensively responsible third liners. Luostarinen is an ace PK, E-Rod is not. It's why I listed one and not the other.

Anyway, we are way ahead of ourselves. Let's f***ing sweep these turkeys and repay the favor for two years ago.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

And he makes 3
It depends on what happens with Bennett. I think we keep him to be the 3C once Barky leaves.

I also expect that we trade Knight + Devine to Colorado

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think Stenlund has been fantastic. He's doing exactly what he was brought in to do. Excellent 4C in the playoffs. His size has made an impact. Been excellent defensively, great PKing, good on the faceoffs. Bringing better than an outsider might think, offensive touch. Got that really good shot of his.
He's really helped turn the momentum during points in each of these games with his linemates, and on the Pk.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

Ekblad
Bobrovsky
Rodrigues
Knight

I think they're going to let Knight be a starter somewhere else. That contract was a mistake in hindsight and at the time.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I don’t think so. They need someone in the wings after Bob. I think this year is the “show me” year for Knight.
I agree and I'd rather keep him, but I think we've also seen it's not impossible to find a usable goalie in FA and just play great defense in front of them. Stolarz is a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad